VFL 2024 - Reserves Game Day discussion Rnds 2 - 21 (Merged threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opposite to our AFL side, it was the strength of our small/mid forwards that won the game - Moir 3, White 3, Cahill 2.4, Nelson 2. 10 goals from that group was the difference.

Really like White's game. Maher was probably our best afield, but White looks most likely (of the VFL group) to earn a call-up.

Binns & Cincotta prob best of the listed players, though Moir catches the eye with his 3 goals - started the game on fire, and ended much the same way, it was the big bit in the middle where he went missing. Just needs to build some consistency to his game and he'll be a star. HOK tried hard. Lemmey well beaten marking the Port resting rucks with Flockart and Miller kicking 5 between them. Monahan shows some signs, but a lot of learning to do. Will give Mirkov a few more weeks after a year out, but he's a long way off the mark at the moment.
Just got home from the game, what more can you ask on a beautiful autumn day to be at Princes Park and cheer the young blokes home for a hard fought win.

I'm not gonna give any long winded analysis, but just a few observations:

- absolutely love what big HO'K is dishing up right now, looks like we may have a player for the future. Loves the physical stuff and an absolute contested beast. Has the traits to go to the next level, but gotta remember he only turned 19yo last December.

- Lemmey starting to learn the ropes of playing in defence. He's put on some size since last year, but as Diesel said to him at quarter time in the North game "it's all about the aggression".

- Cincotta our best AFL listed player for the 3rd time over the past 3 games. Reckon he'll get a call up this week.

- Moir has got some uncanny skills, and hits the ball hard, and tackles with intent. All great AFL traits - BUT - his 2nd and 3rd efforts when he didn't have the ball at times were horrible through lack of effort. We know it's one of the things that's not negotiable to Vossy, and the exact reason why Motlop was dropped to the VFL last year. It stood out even more when you see some of the kids who are desperate to be drafted busting their arses in every contest. I'm sure the coaches will get in his ear about it, because if he can put it all together, could be a potential star of the game.

- Monahan has a loooong way to go if he's to make it. Love his effort, but it stands out that he hasn't been brought up with the game, even compared to the VFL listed players on both sides.

Also, loved the game of Walter White - he's been really impressive in the games I've seen this year. Reminds me a little of Seth Campbell for the Tiggs, who was linked to us in the draft a few years back. Apparently just turned 20yo - could be a bit of a smoky for the MSD. And of course Heath Ramshaw always gets my thumbs up.

Sorry, I guess that was a bit long winded after all 🤣

Very nice Ashton. Like how he has shown more maturity this week. Hasn’t dropped his head.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
goes missing for long periods of the game and although his skills are Sublime he is not yet fit enough to apply the defensive pressure that our coaching staff absolutely demand at a minimum

Would Moir be getting an AFL game with North?

Or still that far away?
I get the sense that he doesn't have the requisite minimum fitness and effort yet to play in the AFL. Despite being crap, North still play a defensive system like all teams...if a player can't do his part due to a lack of fitness it would throw out the rest of the team.

So, no.

But it sounds like he's got the skills and nous to be a star once he does build the fitness and effort. Just has to hit the gym and try and learn from someone like Fogarty about busting your ass to play AFL because it's such an incredible opportunity that millions of kids dream of.

Moir might take 2-3 years to find his feet in terms of fitness, repeat efforts, strength etc and become a genuine threat at AFL level but he's certainly got the nous for playing that third tall role.
Cowan is a perfect example of a bloke whose AFL performances are far and above anything he does at VFL level.

Reckon Moir will be the same.

If he were to replace Fantasia, we lose nothing.

I’ve liked the move of Lemmey to KPD by the club it’s something i hoped we give him a chance of having a look at how he performs back there…

Hadn’t set the world on fire in his only few games back there but on Sunday he definitely grew into the game the longer it went, besides on 2 occasions in the second quarter and twice in the 2nd half he was beaten in contested situations he could have been a little better at he showed some promising signs…

Still immature physically and lacking some greater physical impact on the contest and direct opponent, he produced some smart positioning with defensive intercepts, also showed a couple of well timed defensive spoils, some good tackles as well as the selling candy to the man on the mark…

His kicking agility skills and decision making are good for a young player of 202cm, hopefully more improvement as he develops in this role as the season progresses…

Cowan is a perfect example of a bloke whose AFL performances are far and above anything he does at VFL level.

Fantasia had 4th most pressure acts (17) for us, not sure Moir could produce that yet. I don't think Orazio is going particularly well, but he at least provides some pressure and if we pick 2 rucks, the small forwards especially need to bring that heat - very important to our game plan.

Add an exclamation mark to the last point
Couldn't agree with your post more. Let's do it. Kid has genuine spunk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantasia had 4th most pressure acts (17) for us, not sure Moir could produce that yet. I don't think Orazio is going particularly well, but he at least provides some pressure and if we pick 2 rucks, the small forwards especially need to bring that heat - very important to our game plan.
Serious question - how is a pressure act defined?

I watched the game, then most of the replay.

I don't recall OF getting remotely close to the ball 17 times....

Serious question - how is a pressure act defined?

I watched the game, then most of the replay.

I don't recall OF getting remotely close to the ball 17 times....
There's a glossary on the Champion Data website, and there are different categories of pressure that are measured. I don't know which is fed to the fans via the AFL app. The club would have a much more detailed picture of whether Orazio is statistically applying enough pressure for his role.

I agree that he hasn't delivered yet, but from a structure point of view - we've now got loads of marking power in the forward line at the expense of pressuring smalls. Moir in for Orazio just doesn't give us the balance, we already had our work cut out stopping GWS from slicing us up rebounding from defence.

I can't wait to see Moir and he'll get a crack, but with how we are lining up at the moment and where his game is at, I don't think it makes sense to bring him.

There's aspects of his game he still needs to work on, and the development coaches will be all over it.

He'll no doubt get a call up sometime during the year though, but there's no need to rush him in right now. Personally, I'd like to see him get a call up when we start getting our injured players back, so we can start rotating players to keep them healthy leading into the finals.

1713858612384.png
He may have spunk but he's not got grit or fitness. Fantasia tracks his rebounding defender counterpart hard. Sure he's not doing much offensively but I'd prefer this while we lack Fogarty and have owies in the f50. Unless you want to watch endless repeats of Adelaide's ball movement out of their d50

Remove this Banner Ad

Back