Autopsy Rd 20 vs Fremantle @ Subiaco

Remove this Banner Ad

tough loss. really was a game we should have won but with a young team and the amount of injuries we have consistency and 4 quarter efforts just aren't going to happen yet (I know, we hear it all the time, but it is the truth).

Positives:
- Hallahan performed really well and honestly, should have been playing for the last 4 - 6 weeks. will be disappointed if he is de-listed at the end of the season. Give him at least a 1 year contract. 25 possessions - 11 contested was exactly the sort of player we need running through the midfield right now.
- Schoenfeld looks like he could very well lock down a spot in the best 22 in the next few years. Looks to me like he could be the player Hawthorn were hoping Hartung would be tbh. Has a decent mix of inside/outside capacity for a winger and seems to have put on a few Kg's. Will only improve with experience and liked what I saw tonight.
- Macpherson and Spencer looking more comfortable with each game played. Spencer doens't look AFL ready body-wise but certainly held his own and positions himself nicely for intercepts. Macpherson fumbling less and has very quick reactions with ball in hand. Want to see how he fares in the midfield but was impressed by him tonight.
- Kind of a positive/negative, but with Gaz performing so well and so consistently still, we at least wont get bent over at the trade table if he wants out in a few months which is more than likely. Should package him, McKenzie and Hall together to Geelong for Jkolo, Motlop and a 2018 2nd/3rd

Negatives:
- too many weak defensive efforts. So many times we had the opportunity to chase or defend and didn't and it drove me up the F***ing wall. We need to get in a new coach - one that emphasises defensive running and good skills.
- Scrimshaw vs TMac I don't think we can have in the same team but our defense is looking weird without having either Leslie or Thompson to pick from. Scrimshaw is also not a KPD so why we've tried to play him in that sort of position is beyond me. He's a flanker and should take Rosa's role from HBF and rotate onto the wing as of next season.
- Grant being given a game instead of Bowes or Brodie. I mean i don't particularly have anything against the guy, but his form even in the NEAFL is questionable. Why he is getting a game over guys that have been performing week in week out in the 2's (looking mostly at Brodie there) is beyond me. Especially when he won't (or shouldn't) be on the list next year and those two are, hopefully, the future.
- Lynch's contested marking seems to have disappeared a little bit. Still a dominant key forward who kicks bags each week, and yes he gets double teamed a lot, but he really is struggling to have that same impact through contested marking that we saw last season.
- A lot of fumbling from our boys at crucial moments

- and just a little extra one - those two DOOB's paid against Gaz were absolute shite

If Lemmens plays next week l'm going bat s**t crazy.
He is so bad it's not even funny anymore.
Just let this sink in he has been selected 19 weeks in a row. 19 ******* weeks in a row and people still think Eade should be coaching next year. Un******* believable.
And for 18 weeks our dickhead match committee have played this absolute spud in front of Hallahan.
What an embarrassing rabble.

People still think Eade should be coaching next year?

tough loss.
- Grant being given a game instead of Bowes or Brodie. I mean i don't particularly have anything against the guy, but his form even in the NEAFL is questionable. Why he is getting a game over guys that have been performing week in week out in the 2's (looking mostly at Brodie there) is beyond me. Especially when he won't (or shouldn't) be on the list next year and those two are, hopefully, the future.
- Lynch's contested marking seems to have disappeared a little bit. Still a dominant key forward who kicks bags each week, and yes he gets double teamed a lot, but he really is struggling to have that same impact through contested marking that we saw last season.
- A lot of fumbling from our boys at crucial moments

- and just a little extra one - those two DOOB's paid against Gaz were absolute shite
It's because of his mature body, that's what Rocket always says when not playing the kids

I mean look at the beast, he almost fills out that extra small Guernsey
IMG_3919.JPG

Are you saying we should have picked Ryan ahead of Scheer at that pick ? If so I'll remind you of that fact into the future.....

You may, only if I can remind you every time Luke Ryan has a 20 touch, 10 mark game

- Kind of a positive/negative, but with Gaz performing so well and so consistently still, we at least wont get bent over at the trade table if he wants out in a few months which is more than likely. Should package him, McKenzie and Hall together to Geelong for Jkolo, Motlop and a 2018 2nd/3rd

Not a fan of that trade - Motlop is a FA and after watching JKolo closely this year I can live without him, Spencer can pretty much do his job already.

I've moved into the no camp. Looking at how the Lions youngsters have gone forward and how they structure up and play as a team compared to us, even considering injuries, we've stagnated terribly.
Local Qld kid Jacob Allison steps straight into AFL action and looked settled, composed and knew his role. Interesting Qclash coming up

Question should be how did Ryan last until that pick

Reports were that he would go top 30-40 and dropped a lot on draft night.

Was the most ready state league player in the draft. Unfortunately all our draft picks were in the top 10 so we didn't realistically have a chance to grab him around then.

Local Qld kid Jacob Allison steps straight into AFL action and looked settled, composed and knew his role. Interesting Qclash coming up
He looked very promising. Think he slipped in the draft because of an average top age year in the U18s. Lions are building a big, hard skilled side with plenty of ticker. Berry was one I really wanted us to grab last year. A few more preseasons with the same continued development we've seen this year and I can see them playing finals and doing damage. Like watching them play again.

We would have to be the worst at dump kicks in the forward. That's without Hall as well. Thought we were a chance tonight. Hopefully Fiorini, Lyons and Witts back next week. We need them.
Agreed and also for the sake of my fantasy draft side. I'm suffering from the Gold Coast sun's injury curse on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be a bit circumspect on that - Hallahan disposal efficiency 48% (worst) .
At least he had 25 disposals - Lemmens 8 disposals at 50%
Who would you drop...?
Not Lemmens .... Lol
At those figures lemmens is getting only 4 effective disposals.
Hallahan getting 11effective disposals.
Obviously both different positions but considering the 11 contested possessions hallahan had he is clearly a better choice when that's what we are lacking. But it probably helped him that Swallow was out. That is usually his role.

Can one of the mods please let me know if I crossed a line with a post I made last night. It seems to have been deleted. Just want to know for future reference what was the issue.
Nevermind I found it further back then I thought. I guess I just woke up thinking I'd said all the abusive words I was thinking.

Grant was played as a 3rd forward
Unfortunately he isn't up to it
But outside Lynch and Wright who else is kicking our goals at the moment?
It's why we have to persist with Ainsworth
The frustration of last night was the amount of ball we had and just no avenues for goal outside the 2 talls

Totally jealous of the Lions at the moment. Their young kids like Berry and Allison seem tough and hard at it, and they seem to be trending in the right direction. Not as sure or confident on us though.
Cox, McCluggage, Berry, Barrett, Witherden, Allison list goes on. I don't think they're better than our kids but their development is 100% better for some reason

Hard to watch the whole game, again.

I just don't see much with this team atm.
A few things are broken and getting worse.

Not enough going hard at it, not enough running and spread, poor decisions and poor disposal.

Makes it hard to judge if the players are not good enough or they are not getting better for some other reason.

More than a touch worried about the future atm. More than possible that we will see improvements next year from a bunch of players under 24, but also possible that we will see too many players stagnate and not get better.

Gotta do a Melbourne Demons and concentrate on defence for a couple of years

Complete overhaul of game plan needed.
need to get some muscles on the little Sun frames too.

And I might be an AFL novice but why not have GAJ standing right next to TLynch the whole game. If we are going to bomb it to him constantly with him being outnumbered why not have GAJ at his feet to clean up the crumbs.

Cox, McCluggage, Berry, Barrett, Witherden, Allison list goes on. I don't think they're better than our kids but their development is 100% better for some reason
That's because the Lions have known all year that they won't play finals & are putting their next finals players in & around each other - development & supporter hope. The are doing it so well & so are Carlton.
Do our coaches think we could play finals this year - please.. Are they doing the right thing by our club?
Lemmons, Sexton, Miller, Rosa, Saad have played all year despite their form.
As a starting midfielder/ meters gained, Miller has had over 10 kicks once since around 6 & only over 10 3 times this year - 10, 10, 12. He had 4 kicks last night, 8 last week, 5 the other week & some 2 kick games a month or so ago.
Is he in our future midfield?
Scrim needs to stay in & around May.
Bowes need to get onto his wing now.
Brodie needs to get in & dirty with Spitta, Lyons, Fiorni as a our future midfield.
Ainsworth needs to stay deep forward coming up to the ball with his leap & then throw onto the ball for 5 mins.
Martin needs to settle in back half & use his class coming out.
Give us hope & a future to look forward to. Be fair to us & our players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back