Autopsy Rd 9 Review - Never Go Full Dockery

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol we need players ready to go now not propping up Peel for another two or three years while our current group of players years are wasted.
Which players should we target, that are gettable?

Stengle and Hayward are not really getable. Baker does not solve our small forward issue, he would help with transition the ball and probably delivering to forwards better.

We badly need a Petrecca like player, who can make up for our s**t forward line. At least we do have Amiss, and Treacy looks good but no Pickett. (Probably about even with Melbourne at the moment)

This draft is massive.

If we can add some forward class, and outside class and speed in the midfield then we will good.

If we miss 2 of our 3 picks, or there are no forwards at our picks and we are either forced to reach for a forward too early, or go another mid.
Petracca would be great as any elite player would be.

The talls are fine. They are so young and we're lucky they are doing as well as they are.

Its the ground level stuff. Our pressure players are terrible forwards. Emmett and Switkowski aren't offensive threats. Emmett is more likely to contribute to an oppo score with his "skills". Walters was obviously gun, but he's 33. Still has the odd day but we really need him to be the peak version if we're carrying the other two.

Frederick I think does his role well and is reliable enough on goals on average.

We just need to find defensive players that are at least offensively average. Preferrably, 2 of the 3 (Emmett, Switta, Sonny) should be genuinely quality goal kickers. I think we could carry 1 pressure player that contributed nothing offensively if the other 2 were guns. 2/3 aint bad. We currently have 0.5/3.

Then you add in that basically all of the mids have the yips and we're completely goal kicking sterile bar about 4 players (who were all off yesterday).

It's my pet hate this year

Fluffing around with these handballs that aren't to a player in a better position, just out of their hands so they don't have to have the accountability to kick on goal

Voss I like cos he goes, **** it, I'll have a crack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other god awful habit that has crept into our team this year is the polite finesse snap from 15-25 metres out that makes a perfect arc, directly into the defenders arms in the goal square. I thought that was a Liam Henry special but it seems to have stuck around.

Watch other teams take similar shots, they follow through with kick and the ball easily makes the distance and travels through the top half of the sticks.

The talls are fine. They are so young and we're lucky they are doing as well as they are.

Its the ground level stuff. Our pressure players are terrible forwards. Emmett and Switkowski aren't offensive threats. Emmett is more likely to contribute to an oppo score with his "skills". Walters was obviously gun, but he's 33. Still has the odd day but we really need him to be the peak version if we're carrying the other two.

Frederick I think does his role well and is reliable enough on goals on average.

We just need to find defensive players that are at least offensively average. Preferrably, 2 of the 3 (Emmett, Switta, Sonny) should be genuinely quality goal kickers. I think we could carry 1 pressure player that contributed nothing offensively if the other 2 were guns. 2/3 aint bad. We currently have 0.5/3.

Then you add in that basically all of the mids have the yips and we're completely goal kicking sterile bar about 4 players (who were all off yesterday).

Agree.

Yep. The clubs resistance to investing in our forward line has irritated me for a while.

Walters is on his last legs, we need to take our 3 picks to the draft and commit to securing goal kickers.
Don't know if "resistance" is really the word. We can't just go to aisle 4 at Coles to select top grade forward talent. We could fill a page with the forwards either drafted or traded in in recent years (even right now we have Sturt, Delean, Voss, Corbett, Taberner, Simpson et al as additional forward options).

I really think we could do with investing in the development area for the forwards though. Really stick it out there with something more left field and cutting edge. I'm sure there's no shortage of genius amongst the retired forward fraternity we could bring in.

You can analyse all you want about our gameplan, handballing, delivery, McCarthy blues, coaching, whatever. But when you convert like this, there's nothing much else that matters.

Yes, we have some battlers with no polish that drive me insane and I want Sturt/Simpson in the side for some more class in the forward half. But the ones missing easy set shots included Amiss, Jackson, Voss, Treacy, Frederick. They are supposed to be our most reliable kicks at goal, and even they fluffed their lines. It was just one of those nights.

Edit: looks like you sort of beat me too it Taylor, but I've at least got the full time instead of 3/4 expected score.

Am I the only one who doesn't see this as a positive?

Look at the location of the shots on the chart - we amassed a high volume of shots however of significantly less quality.

Shots within 30 metres:
Fremantle: 6
Sydney: 11

Shots with a greater than 50% chance of scoring a goal:
Fremantle: 10
Sydney: 15

Shots with a less than 50% chance of scoring a goal:
Fremantle: 16
Sydney: 9

This doesn't account for scores from repeat entries either which given our accuracy we had a tonne of.

Look at the location of the shots on the chart - we amassed a high volume of shots however of significantly less quality.

Shots within 30 metres:

This doesn't account for scores from repeat entries either which given our accuracy we had a tonne of.
It would be a positive if we had a dozen forwards and mids with high end finishing skills. There is no reason to think, based on what we've seen from most of our players, that they are going to start routinely kicking those goals.

We get Sturt in the team, and Cooper Simpson plays every game he’s available.

We also fast track Delean, because if the metric is “get 8 possessions, kick no goals” I’d rather have guys who have a chance of improving us

Shots within 30 metres:

There’s literally 5 shots in red that we didn’t score from from 0 angle

Commiserations to your club and supporters. Last nights game would have been hard for many players, coaches and club staff.

While the game itself might be frustrating a disappointing I think the club handled the situation as well as it could, and the tribute to Cam was very classy.

We lost by 50 points and the game was over before half time.
On what parallel universe did our gameplan stand up to them?
How many times were we turned over, our handball happy gameplan was brutally exposed again.
All it takes is a good team, with their pressure on elite (over 200 on that fox footy metric thing they have) and we will fold like a deck of cards if we persist with this gameplan.
Remember the 2013 prelim v Sydney when we demolished them with a display of ferocious pressure and tackling that has rarely been seen at AFL level.
That particular dockers team would beat this current outfit playing the gamestyle they brought tonight, by over 100 points.
I'm not completely disagreeing with you BUT we won over most of the ground, ie our game plan seemed to be dominant. And it was winning against a brilliant midfield. Our goal kicking let us down. I don't think, 'Kick points not goals' is part of our game plan.

Additionally, it looked to me like several of Sydney's goals came from plays that began from our F50. This means that if we had been more effective in kicking goals and the ball had returned to the centre, several of Sydney's goals wouldn't have happened last night as we would have been playing more of the game where our gameplan was dominating.

So like you I have question marks about our game plan but I think it did well (mostly) last night.

It would be a positive if we had a dozen forwards and mids with high end finishing skills. There is no reason to think, based on what we've seen from most of our players, that they are going to start routinely kicking those goals.
They're gonna routinely not kick 4.15 from 26 shots if they had those same shots again. Like you are right in saying that this group isn't a sharpshooting group from those scenarios (over the course of a season the gap btwn the most and least accurate teams is about 10% either way from the average, over the past 1.5 seasons we've been around the 12th-ish range in terms of conversion, so below average but not league low), but for any group that's an abberation the scale of which we'll almost certainly not see again this season.

Yep. The clubs resistance to investing in our forward line has irritated me for a while.

Walters is on his last legs, we need to take our 3 picks to the draft and commit to securing goal kickers.
Problem is we need goal kickers now. If you draft them you are ususally looking at c4years before you get a consistent good return. If it ever happens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're gonna routinely not kick 4.15 from 26 shots if they had those same shots again. Like you are right in saying that this group isn't a sharpshooting group from those scenarios (over the course of a season the gap btwn the most and least accurate teams is about 10% either way from the average, over the past 1.5 seasons we've been around the 12th-ish range in terms of conversion, so below average but not league low), but for any group that's an abberation the scale of which we'll almost certainly not see again this season.
I agree its an aberration but I also think it is the case that we're probably going to need better looks than other top teams on average to account for how terrible most are in front of goals.

Problem is we need goal kickers now. If you draft them you are ususally looking at c4years before you get a consistent good return. If it ever happens.
Better having it 4 years from now than never.

This isn't getting better without a personnel change. Well it will to some extent as the group matures, but it's never going to be good.

How does Baker help?

Not a big goal kicker. Super clean, will help quicken transition. Quick, but small.

Is that enough?

I am sitting on the fence if we should get him or not.

This was the weirdest game I’ve ever seen live it genuinely felt like we dominated majority of the first 3 qtrs but they were just cleaner and obviously took there chances and we didn’t. I think I recalled 5/6 times we had a shot at goal missed an easy one and they go down the end and score a goal that’s a 55/66 point swing in the game. Even stuff like they kicked 4/5 goals from plays where they got a free kick which doesn’t help. Or it’s dumb mistakes like Fyfe grubbering a 15m kick in the corridor turnover goal or jordy Clark on 4/5 occasions doing cute 20m kicks to 45-55m out and intercepted and they go coast to coast and score.

In the past couple of years we have been a team that’s been bullied in the midfield by the swans dogs giants Carlton port and any team with a “better” midfield I’m confident enough to say we lost this game with errors and Sydney didn’t beat us for being a better team which means we can definitely match it with the best if we can get it right

We are definitely lacking some polish and silk Warner showed why we should chuck everything at him but still feel we need a goal scoring small fwd I wonder if Brisbane fail this year we could go for a Charlie Cameron or go hard for a giants small fwd that’s not getting a game

In the end we don’t know how much impact dardys death had on the players and can just say it’s one of those games feel like it’s one that needs to be forgotten and just move on as one of those days where nothing goes right and why are people so upset about how they played shouldn’t we be used to this by now it’s the most dockery thing in the world

How does Baker help?

Not a big goal kicker. Super clean, will help quicken transition. Quick, but small.

Is that enough?

I am sitting on the fence if we should get him or not.

My great concern is that he is definitely a better player than at least 4 small players we play, but he's not coming here to replace Emmett or Switta. At best he takes over Walters and gives us a little more (he's not as talented as Sonny but in his prime).

Emmett and Switta will still be rolled out next year and the same **** will happen time and time again.

I'm not against Baker, but only if we keep the best picks for fixing the actual problem.

I agree its an aberration but I also think it is the case that we're probably going to need better looks than other top teams on average to account for how terrible most are in front of goals.
Yeah like being a bad team accuracy-wise isn't the end of the world (Richmond when they won 3 premierships I don't think were ever great in front of goal, especially pre-Lynch and before Bolton really got going), but accuracy defo helps, and often the teams that are accurate have natural fwds taking the bulk of their shots. There's a reason 2018 West Coast were so accurate: their fwd line had real fwds, not fake fwds who are really failed midfielders (also helps when you have Josh Kennedy who's generationally accurate).

Fixing that is on list mgmt, but then there's also the issue of the midfield. Ironically, the defender-turned-midfielder has been the best in front of goals for us this season. Brayshaw, Fyfe, Serong, Johnson and Jaeger have taken a combined 39 shots. We've gotten a combined 6.20 from those opportunities. As it is you don't look at that group and think sharpshooters, but they shouldn't be that bad.

Our tall forwards are going fine, I have a view towards next season, and we should be able to add some class forward that can impact immediately.

The defense and midfield structures up well, we get lots of looks.

We are actually very close.
Well said Taylor.
We all criticise analysis's from the likes of Cornes and King for their week to week take, but we then do the same.
We know what our weakness’s are, we have the season, the draft and trade period to fix them.
I’m done with being negative. Cam McCarthys death should tell everyone on here that this is a game and life goes on outside the weekly 4 1/4s the Dockers play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back