Autopsy Rd 9 Review - Never Go Full Dockery

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, and we couldn't take a mark from our talls at all between the arcs like we did when we beat Sydney on the SCG last year. That was a huge problem for us.

Treacy, no marks outside of the forward fifty - big problem.
Amiss, no marks outside of the forward fifty - big problem.
Voss, one mark outside of the forward ffity - big problem.
Jackson, two marks all game and none inside fifty - big problem.
Pretty hard to mark a handball.

This is too common an occurrence to be just an accuracy problem, it's also the quality of shots which aren't captured by location in the 50.

Stems from both the method of ball movement, structure in the forward 50 and the personnel.

Method has looked a bit better the last 2 weeks, structure is hinting at improving and personnel we've done to death on here but is the only real issue we don't seem to be taking steps to address, at least selection wise (in so far as you can't change the list right now).

Interesting to note that the Sydney players they spoke to after game say were cooked.

Seems it was more sapping and competitive than we thought or translated from watching on tv.

Pav pulled out an interesting stat during the game, at that stage we’d had 29 front half turnovers for 1.4 the swans had 11 forward half turnovers for 7.0, at some stage you need to bite the bullet and realise we need goal scoring playing in the forward line, not just pressure players .
Have a look at both clubs from 2019.
Sometimes you just have to admit that we are poorly run and player development is not best practice.
Swans and Dockers were similar placed when JLo took over.
Swans rebuild is where we should be, and they have plans in place to replace
Horse with Cox.
When it all goes pear shaped, we will be desperate to find any one half decent.

The problem with our forwards, especially our small & medium ones, is that if they don’t kick a goal they don’t do much else. Back when we’d have Mayne, Ballas and De Boer in the forward line they busted a gut to create opportunities through pressure and contest. Invariably it led to them kicking a goal, if not creating one for a team mate. The players we got down there these days want to be on the end of a cheap one

Sometimes you just have to admit that we are poorly run and player development is not best practice.
Horse with Cox.
We don't have the luxury of picking our top end talent when finishing top 4. They do.

You can't compare us to the Northern clubs or any club kissed enough to have multiple AA F&S. It's just not the same game.

Horse with Cox.
Also helps when the AFL is desperate to keep you relevant like Sydney with its academy.

The problem with our forwards, especially our small & medium ones, is that if they don’t kick a goal they don’t do much else. Back when we’d have Mayne, Ballas and De Boer in the forward line they busted a gut to create opportunities through pressure and contest. Invariably it led to them kicking a goal, if not creating one for a team mate. The players we got down there these days want to be on the end of a cheap one
They also took the easy option a lot of times last night by leading to the boundary instead of down the middle and thus had more difficult shots. The reason Sydney kicked 10 straight is they kicked to the danger area at the top of the square.

They also took the easy option a lot of times last night by leading to the boundary instead of down the middle and thus had more difficult shots. The reason Sydney kicked 10 straight is they kicked to the danger area at the top of the square.
That wasn't true for all of them. Of the 6 or so I saw, at least two were wild snaps.

How many soul sapping clangers does Emmett need for you peeps to see how much better Baker would be? I feel like I’m taking crazy pills.
As long as he’s not too pricey, yes please. But we also need someone who knows where the goals are and will convert half chances. A Charlie Cameron/Rioli type.

Do you actually believe that if we got Baker, Emmett wouldn't play?
I believe another preseason is pretty big for Cooper, that we’d have either have a couple or one very good draft pick I refuse to believe the club wouldn’t use on a forward of some sort or an absolute gun and that the club still loves Switta and Walters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe another preseason is pretty big for Cooper, that we’d have either have a couple or one very good draft pick I refuse to believe the club wouldn’t use on a forward of some sort or an absolute gun and that the club still loves Switta and Walters
Agree on Simpson, but neither he or Baker are made for Emmett's role. They both seem way more suited to being connectors rather than pressure/crumber players.

The 1st rounders need to be a draftee or trade that is an instant upgrade on Emmett else I reckon he's there round 1.

If he does the coach should be sacked.

He needs to be nit playing NOW, not when we get Baker

He's painful to watch, no argument from me.

Agree on Simpson, but neither he or Baker are made for Emmett's role. They both seem way more suited to being connectors rather than pressure/crumber players.

The 1st rounders need to be a draftee or trade that is an instant upgrade on Emmett else I reckon he's there round 1.

He's painful to watch, no argument from me.

What is Emmet’s role exactly?

Because to be Frank he’s not doing much of anything

I’ll give him a leg up, his pressure is actually elite but he’s making prime scapegoat Banners look like Eddie Betts when he has the ball in hand

I’m glad we at least got full value for Schultz because I honestly believe there’s a decent chance him leaving is going to cost us a finals spot sadly
Possibly could have split one of those close games for sure.

Personally, as nice as making up the numbers in finals is, having our pick a couple of spots higher might make getting some actual forwards a bit easier so I am ok with it.

He's Schultz, he's just not any good at the part where we have the ball.

Also helps when the AFL is desperate to keep you relevant like Sydney with its academy.
Talent only gets you so far.
We have more first rounders in the team than Lyon had at his disposal.
So what is it players or coaching?
Or is it that we are young, and maybe we will get better with age?
Shock horror it’s never going to be a level playing field, so guess what you
have to find a way to win, be the best.

They did pretty well out of tagging Clark with James Jordan. Clark has been instrumental in our better transition this year and they manage to nullify him and did a pretty good job of keeping Young away from his usual sweeping role kicking inside 50.

The difference is -they have midfielders and small forwards kicking goals- we have none.
Look at our goal kickers stats the last couple of years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The difference is -they have midfielders and small forwards kicking goals- we have none.
Look at our goal kickers stats the last couple of years

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yep, you look at their tall forwards and they are still young.
But but ours are younger.
So what is the point in playing mids that don’t hit the scoreboard or play
forward?

Yep, you look at their tall forwards and they are still young.
But but ours are younger.
So what is the point in playing mids that don’t hit the scoreboard or play
forward?
We don’t have players like Warner, Heeney, Gulden, Hayward, Papley who can bang them on the fly from anywhere in and outside the 50.

Most of our midfielders & forwards can’t snap to save themselves & regularly don’t make the distance from 30 let alone 50. Which is why they denied Clark & Young as priority. Who cares if Serong or Brayshaw or Fyfe or Aish is kicking it inside 50 when they mostly turn it over. Or Switta or Emmett is snapping when they can’t kick over a jam tin.

I’m prepared to give the players another chance given the circumstances, but jeez I’ve seen this before oh so many times. The fact remains we have such a poor forward line and very few natural goal kickers. No amount of effort or accuracy will fix that.

I think Voss plays a similar role to Emmett, just a bigger body and more likely to have a shot on goal. More than happy to keep Voss in, drop Emmett and bring in Sturt. Adds some class and goal scoring ability to the Forward line even if he doesn’t put a lot of pressure on.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back