Road To The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to count our chickens before they hatched but most here are thinking about how the hell do you get to the Gabba from Adelaide during Grand Final week? I know I am.
In any normal year, I would hate talking about this in advance. However it's clear many have to start thinking about it now given the complexity and cost of the travel, and I've already asked my family what will we do.

We have 10 GF guarantees in my family, only 6 of us are going to put in for the ballot. Can we edit this thread to include a poll to see how many of those with GF guarantees would nominate for the ballot? I assume that the numbers will be low enough to guarantee those that nominate a ticket, but I'd still love to see a rough figure.

If we win, my wife works for Qantas, so us 2 might be able to find a way to sneak onto a flight as staff travellers, but I know the rest of the family is extremely worried about the fact tickets are already $500 per head. Post game they'll undoubtedly get to $1000 per head. Then you add in $400 GF tickets and $400 in accomodation and we're talking $3-4k for 1 game, return.

Mike Smithson just posed the question to the premier in a press conference with regards to the drive to Brisbane, so hopefully the quickest road and route through Broken Hill might be opened. Squeezing 6 people into a 7 seater, for the drive could save us thousands.

For the 2014 semi against Freo, the club chartered a couple of flights to Perth. From memory it was about $945.00 and included a ticket for the game. Best spur of the moment decision I've ever made, and also one of my favorite finals win! Hopefully the club could organise something like this again, if needed.

If Port reach the Grand Final, it might be the greatest thing ever for the Birdsville Track.
I think that recently got washed out.

Driving you might have to follow the same way that the V8 Supercars travelled to Talem Bend, up into the NT to Three Way Roadhouse north of tenant creek, then across to Mount Isa and down to Brisbane. 47 hours of driving all up according to Google.

FYI:
Theres currently only 266 economy, 35 business class seats, in total for Qantas and Jetstar left for flights that leave between Thursday and Saturday.

Would be a lot of extra flights put on if we make it.

In any normal year, I would hate talking about this in advance. However it's clear many have to start thinking about it now given the complexity and cost of the travel, and I've already asked my family what will we do.

Yeah absolutely, if there were no restrictions then there is no need for this thread but as it stands we all need to be aware on what is going before impulsively buying GF tickets with no where to go.

This GF guarantee ticket really bloody annoys me this year. I am a member with GF guarantee ticket, however with the GF not being played in Melbourne it brings up too many complication that even if we make I will not be able to attend the GF.

Normally, I would leave work Friday afternoon, drive to Melbourne, stay at my sisters for free, attend the game, return to my sisters, then drive back to Adelaide ready for work Monday.
Now, the only possibility is really to fly and pay for accomodation which equals about $1500 extra and thus is not affordable given my situation.

This makes me feel like it was a wasted extra $50 or however much it was to get a guaranteed ticket... and are the AFL liable here since they moved the GF to provide the option of a refund on said ticket?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fortunately my uncle had the foresight to use this stack of frequent flyer points to book us flights a few weeks ago.

Just discovered this booking goes through Sydney though, which worries me. But I think it's okay considering:

You may not have to quarantine if you have been in a COVID-19 hotspot in the last 14 days if you:
  • were in a COVID-19 hotspot for the sole purpose of transiting through an airport

Still, comes with an element of risk.

Fortunately my uncle had the foresight to use this stack of frequent flyer points to book us flights a few weeks ago.

Just discovered this booking goes through Sydney though, which worries me. But I think it's okay considering:

You may not have to quarantine if you have been in a COVID-19 hotspot in the last 14 days if you:
  • were in a COVID-19 hotspot for the sole purpose of transiting through an airport

Your at the mercy of the border agents on the day I suppose. Good luck and I hope you get through.

you need to complete a queensland border declaration here qld.gov.au/border-pass/general

as long as you're only transiting through sydney and don't leave the airport you'll be fine under the current restrictions.. it appears you can make this application up to 7 days before travel.. should it be required i'd suggest making application as early as possible to get that approval confirmed..

we've booked refundable tickets transiting through sydney to the gold coast on friday 23rd..

On another note, should we as members buy up our full allocation of GF tickets and deny the Brisbane Bandwagoners opportunity to take our seats even though not all can make it?
No. Port members should only buy tickets if they can legitimately make it otherwise you could be denying another Port fan a chance.

Our plan is to wait and see if we get in first, hopefully get our tickets through the ballot and then pay for flights after. Going to be extremely expensive this way but we don’t want to risk paying for flights if we don’t make it.

Given those exemptions, I wouldn't be surprised if QLD makes another exemption for SA residents passing through with GF tickets then.
On 7 News, Steven Marshall in talks with Queensland Government to provide safe passage of Port Fans from Adelaide to Brisbane via NSW. We shall see what comes of this.
Palaszczuk lacks enough common sense to make this happen. NSW outside Metropolitan Sydney has been covid-free for over a month and there has been only 2 cases outside of hotel quarantine in the past 15 days within metropolitan Sydney including the last 11 days of zero cases. The Qld/NSW border should not even be shut!

We have 10 GF guarantees in my family, only 6 of us are going to put in for the ballot. Can we edit this thread to include a poll to see how many of those with GF guarantees would nominate for the ballot? I assume that the numbers will be low enough to guarantee those that nominate a ticket, but I'd still love to see a rough figure.

If we win, my wife works for Qantas, so us 2 might be able to find a way to sneak onto a flight as staff travellers, but I know the rest of the family is extremely worried about the fact tickets are already $500 per head. Post game they'll undoubtedly get to $1000 per head. Then you add in $400 GF tickets and $400 in accomodation and we're talking $3-4k for 1 game, return.

Mike Smithson just posed the question to the premier in a press conference with regards to the drive to Brisbane, so hopefully the quickest road and route through Broken Hill might be opened. Squeezing 6 people into a 7 seater, for the drive could save us thousands.
There is no ballot.

It is first in best dressed to the Ticketmaster website when the Port members window opens.

This could change, but this is how it would work as detailed to me by Harrison in the membership department when I spoke to him on 23rd September.

The little over 10,000 eligible members will have a 2 or 3 hour window to buy tickets and any tickets not purchased in Port's 8,100 allocation (and the other teams allocation) will then be able to be purchased by the general public - anywhere in Oz and the world I presume.

There is no ballot.

It is first in best dressed to the Ticketmaster website when the Port members window opens.

This could change, but this is how it would work as detailed to me by Harrison in the membership department when I spoke to him on 23rd September.

The little over 10,000 eligible members will have a 2 or 3 hour window to buy tickets and any tickets not purchased in Port's 8,100 allocation (and the other teams allocation) will then be able to be purchased by the general public - anywhere in Oz and the world I presume.
A friend was talking with Stephen Shirley last night and he mentioned an on sale, not a ballot, and mentioned that 100% pledge Platinum (& BD/1870 I'm assuming) will be top priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back