Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Aus A squad will be interesting. I think that the WC squad should look like:

Finch, Warner, Marsh, Smith, Handscomb, Maxwell, Stoinis, Khawaja, Carey
Starc, Cummins, Richardson, Behrendorff, Zampa, Agar

So the Aus A side should be something like:

Burns
Harris
Patterson
Head
Wade
Pucovski
Paine (c, +)
Pattinson
Lyon
Bird
Hazlewood

With Renshaw, Maddinson, Bancroft, Tremain, Holland and perhaps someone like Steketee also going

Not sure Burns is seen to be a middle order bat. Not only by Aussie selectors but seems to open predominantly for Queensland as well.

Not convinced he goes with Warner, Bancroft, Harris all being apart of the squad.
Burns is ahead of Harris and Bancroft. Averages 40 as an opener, has had a consistent year in the Shield and has 4 test centuries in 16 games. Plus he made 180 against Sri Lanka.

My Ashes team as it stands. A lot to happen between now and then though.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

J.Richardson
Wade
Burns
Maxwell
Bird
Bancroft
O’Keefe

My Ashes team as it stands. A lot to happen between now and then though.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

J.Richardson
Wade
Burns
Maxwell
Bird
Bancroft
O’Keefe
As you said there is a lot to happen but it makes me nervous when Harris pushes out infront of his body and slices it to point region in the air. Imagine when the ball is moving and in the hands on Anderson and co. In addition to Warner we could be not many runs for 2 wickets.

I would also have Richardson in for Starc in the 1st test. Apparently the pith suits him better than it does Starc

Burns is ahead of Harris and Bancroft. Averages 40 as an opener, has had a consistent year in the Shield and has 4 test centuries in 16 games. Plus he made 180 against Sri Lanka.

Harris is shiny and new which is what probably gets him over the line imho. Burns was good against a s**t weak Sri Lankan side. (even though they somehow beat Saffers).

I haven't thought about this for like a day so:

Burns
Harris
Khawaja (ugh)
Smith
Patterson
Wade
Paine (c, +)
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazlewood

Warner, Bancroft, Head, Starc, Holland, Pattinson/Tremain/Bird/Sayers

I'd be happy to see Warner/Bancroft in, Patterson 3, Burns 5, Khawaja out, but I think Khawaja gets first go.

Don't mind that 11 at all.

Burns and Harris are probably most deserving of first crack at opening but I wouldn't mind Bancroft or Renshaw as potential alternatives.

Hopefully Usman continues his white ball form and takes this into the ashes..

Wade is better than Head so he is a no brainer at 6. Head is okay but I think he was lucky to be getting games this summer.

Bowling qaurtet is good to go - I would expect Cummins and Hazelnut to get the new ball.

Don't mind that 11 at all.

Burns and Harris are probably most deserving of first crack at opening but I wouldn't mind Bancroft or Renshaw as potential alternatives.

Hopefully Usman continues his white ball form and takes this into the ashes..

Wade is better than Head so he is a no brainer at 6. Head is okay but I think he was lucky to be getting games this summer.

Bowling qaurtet is good to go - I would expect Cummins and Hazelnut to get the new ball.
Based on? Head was our highest and most consistent run scorer over the summer. Wade scored runs in the SS but test attaks are obviously tougher than Shield attacks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wade's Shield season should have him in the squad without doubt, but players who performed in recent Tests should get priority over people who are performing in the Shield.

Sounds like there will be at least two Australia A 4 day matches before they name the squad as well, so still plenty of chances for blokes to stake a claim.

1. Warner
2. Harris
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

12. Burns
13. Wade
14. Bancroft
15. Maxwell/Stoinis
16. Richardson
17. Bird
18. Holland

Obviously Warner will never bat at 6 but I would love to see him against a second new ball down the order:

1. Harris
2. Bancroft
3. Patterson
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Warner
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

This is my dream outside the box 11:

1. Harris
2. Bancroft
3. Smith
4. Wade (WK)
5. Head
6. Warner
7. Cummins (C)
8. Starc
9. Richardson
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

What I think will be the 11:

1. Harris
2. Warner
3. Khawaja
4. Smith
5. Head
6. Patterson
7. Paine
8. Cummins
9. Starc
10. Lyon
11. Hazlewood

How do we know what the pitch will be like, months away from the First Test?

When was the last time you saw a pitch in England renowned for its 150km/h pace and bounce?

Richardson is much better suited to English conditions than Starc.

The boy was being compared to James Anderson in his first test.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When was the last time you saw a pitch in England renowned for its 150km/h pace and bounce?

Richardson is much better suited to English conditions than Starc.

If we're going to be making judgements like that months out, why even take Starc?

The boy was being compared to James Anderson in his first test.

By who?

I think we get too obsessive over the conditions, when we really just should select the best we have available, and let them *test* themselves by adapting like any good player would.

Let's not act like this is a sudden "year out of the box" for Wade. It's his best full season, for sure, but he's been among the better batsmen we have in Shield cricket for a long time:

Current Shield Season - 61.46 average (2 hundreds, 7 fifties, 0 ducks)

Career Shield Record - 43.85 average (12 hundreds, 34 fifties, 4 ducks)

Surely Wade goes on the Aus A tour to England.

I'm not sure he does. He's 32 this year and after plundering runs in all formats can't get a look in.

When I think Australia A I think of up and coming prospects. If Wade can't get a look in now then he probably isn't going to. If he's not in CA's plans I'd rather they take guys like Renshaw and Bancroft who are and expose them to overseas conditions.

I'm not sure he does. He's 32 this year and after plundering runs in all formats can't get a look in.

When I think Australia A I think of up and coming prospects. If Wade can't get a look in now then he probably isn't going to. If he's not in CA's plans I'd rather they take guys like Renshaw and Bancroft who are and expose them to overseas conditions.

If he didn't get a look in all summer, I'm not sure he will either.

Now we have Smith, Warner and Bancroft to fit in as well.

They might go for youth like Pukovski, etc rather than going back to a 32 year old who was average at test level before.

Obviously Warner will never bat at 6 but I would love to see him against a second new ball down the order.

I was honest to goodness clicking on this to post something similar. Obviously a bit outside the box, but it would be a left-field move that could really strengthen the middle order without prematurely breaking up what could be an effective partnership. Also gives them the opportunity to rotate in Bancroft (if he continues his strong Shield form.)

Harris
Burns
Patterson
Smith
Head
Warner
Paine
Cummins
Richardson
Lyon
Hazelwood

They'll want to back in Khawaja at 3 - particularly if he has a strong Pakistan series and World Cup - but I'm still not 100% convinced. Likewise with Starc; he's too much of a dice roll at the moment to justify a guaranteed spot.

Trying Warner at 6 isn't the worst idea. Even though I can't see it happening, and think trying to fit more than 2 genuine openers into a top 6 can be disruptive and risky for the whole line up. But he did have to slide in at 6 after his suspension for hitting Root if I recall correctly. So it's not completely unheard of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back