Preview Round 1, 2018: St.Kilda v Brisbane - Etihad Stadium, Saturday 24th March, 3:35PM AEDT

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 163 83.2%
  • Lions

Votes: 33 16.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the key forwards will get off the chain.

Funnily enough, last year's game against Brisbane is the only game last year where we played all four of Membrey, Bruce, Riewoldt & McCartin.

They kicked 5.10 between them.
The game where we realised that four talls is a terrible idea.

One of the key forwards will get off the chain.

Funnily enough, last year's game against Brisbane is the only game last year where we played all four of Membrey, Bruce, Riewoldt & McCartin.

They kicked 5.10 between them.
Depends on how you read the stats, 5.10 poor result 15 shots between them good result turn the figure around 10.5 good result this came during a period when the side was playing void of confidence we missed goals from 20 met out to me the experiment is still inconclusive.

There are no excuses for the first 2 rounds.

Both the games are at Etihad stadium, coaches and players are singing a song of finals this year.

If we want to be a top 8 side, then start playing like one by beating these two teams.

If we lose then its going to be a big melt down here and long season ahead of us.

Last edited:
Selection committee is going to be a doozy this week. I think if Coffield breaks into the team that says more about where White is at, than Gilbert. Clark or no Clark? That is another question. From a personal view point I would love to give Marshall an opportunity to play on Steph Martin, just to give him an inkling of where we want him to get to with his round the ground work. But I know that isn't going to happen.

I think 2018 will be another year where equalization is on show. That means we will be competitive against the teams that are tipped to finish top 6, but it also means that there will be no walk overs against teams like Carlton, GC, Brisbane and North.

When you look at each match as a contest in it's purest, simplest sense then we just have to outwork the opposition from the first bounce and win the ball, move it forward, and score. Or defend with real intent, turn the ball over, then move it forward and score. If we assume no injuries acrross every club then I think our list is good enough to out work the Hawks, West Coast, North, Carlton, GC and Brisbane. I think games against Fremantle, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Geelong will be arm wrestles. And against Adelaide, Richmond, GWS, Sydney and Melbourne we will be running uphill all day. We will win some games we aren't expected to, but unfortunately odds are that we will also drop some games that we aren't expected to.

I actually believe the coaching shake-up at the end of last season will throw up some challenges as well, and I think we saw that in the JLT series. I think there has been an attempt to reshape the way we transition from defense, and it seems like we are misfiring in the execution of the new plan. In that third quarter against Melbourne to the eye it looked like we reverted to a game plan that we were familiar with and we were much more potent.

My tip is that the Saints will lead by 12 points at the first break, and run away to win by 30 plus.

Selection committee is going to be a doozy this week. I think if Coffield breaks into the team that says more about where White is at, than Gilbert. Clark or no Clark? That is another question. From a personal view point I would love to give Marshall an opportunity to play on Steph Martin, just to give him an inkling of where we want him to get to with his round the ground work. But I know that isn't going to happen.

I think 2018 will be another year where equalization is on show. That means we will be competitive against the teams that are tipped to finish top 6, but it also means that there will be no walk overs against teams like Carlton, GC, Brisbane and North.

When you look at each match as a contest in it's purest, simplest sense then we just have to outwork the opposition from the first bounce and win the ball, move it forward, and score. Or defend with real intent, turn the ball over, then move it forward and score. If we assume no injuries acrross every club then I think our list is good enough to out work the Hawks, West Coast, North, Carlton, GC and Brisbane. I think games against Fremantle, Collingwood, Bulldogs, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Geelong will be arm wrestles. And against Adelaide, Richmond, GWS, Sydney and Melbourne we will be running uphill all day. We will win some games we aren't expected to, but unfortunately odds are that we will also drop some games that we aren't expected to.

I actually believe the coaching shake-up at the end of last season will throw up some challenges as well, and I think we saw that in the JLT series. I think there has been an attempt to reshape the way we transition from defense, and it seems like we are misfiring in the execution of the new plan. In that third quarter against Melbourne to the eye it looked like we reverted to a game plan that we were familiar with and we were much more potent.

My tip is that the Saints will lead by 12 points at the first break, and run away to win by 30 plus.
I don't think there's any evidence in the JLT of anything changing over last season. One quarter does not maketh a win (apologies to Shakespeare). The only forward who looks like kicking goals on a regular basis is Membrey, or maybe the innacurate Billings- Bruce and Paddy have everything to prove this season

If I was Richo for jlt I’d say go at 85% boys don’t bust a gut, no injuries, save the new game plan for the real stuff and here’s a few things to work on as individuals and as a team.
Good solid run against opposition without giving too much away in a nothing game.
No need to get worked up.

If I was Richo for jlt I’d say go at 85% boys don’t bust a gut, no injuries, save the new game plan for the real stuff and here’s a few things to work on as individuals and as a team.
Good solid run against opposition without giving too much away in a nothing game.
No need to get worked up.
It was more like 70% at best, and Richo was apparently unhappy with the results, especially against Cartlon and was looking for a win.

Gresham has done a lot for someone who's had only 2 seasons in AFL. He has done far than some of the "talented" "potential" stars in our list in 2 seasons.
I thought in the corresponding game last year he was a standout, and only bettered by Riewoldt and Montagna. Definitely has the X factor and blisteringly fast on a fast surface. As for Saturday I think we will match your midfield but struggle to hold your forwards and probably struggle to kick a winning score ourselves. You have a nice balance of small and tall forwards and if they are on I doubt many sides will be able to contain them. I just hope we are competitive and that for both team's benefit the Etihad surface behaves itself.

It’s got to the point now with everyone seeming to write us off this year (Gary Lyon has predicted us to finish 14th) that I’m actualky starting tod embrace all the negativity. Last year we went in with all the hype that we will make the 8 and it didn’t work for us, maybe this year all the saints bashing saying we have no stars and aren’t good enough will drive the boys to succeed and prove everyone wrong. I’m not sure if Richo would say anything or not but if I was him I’d be tempted to pin a few of these articles up around rsea Park and let the boys prove a few people wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s got to the point now with everyone seeming to write us off this year (Gary Lyon has predicted us to finish 14th) that I’m actualky starting tod embrace all the negativity. Last year we went in with all the hype that we will make the 8 and it didn’t work for us, maybe this year all the saints bashing saying we have no stars and aren’t good enough will drive the boys to succeed and prove everyone wrong. I’m not sure if Richo would say anything or not but if I was him I’d be tempted to pin a few of these articles up around rsea Park and let the boys prove a few people wrong.

Lyon seriously hates St Kilda. He digs the boots in at every opportunity.

I don't think Clark makes the final team tbh (as much as I wish he would).

Gilbert, I think get's the final spot on the bench due to his ability to play multiple positions. Not even sure if Coffield get's picked but if he doesn't I can see us bringing in Stevens. Especially if Armitage isn't match ready.

I think we will line up like this below:

Geary Brown Webster
Roberton Carlisle Savage
Newnes Armitage Dunstan
Sinclair Bruce Billings
Gresham McCartin Membrey

Longer
Ross
Steven

Acres
Steele
Coffield
Gilbert

Gary's reasoning:

“Their best chance was when Nick Riewoldt was playing and Joey (Leigh Montagna) was running around…I think their best opportunity was in the last year or the year before and they didn’t get the job done. I don’t think they’re going to be better this year so I think they’re going to drop.”

Best opportunity for what? A premiership? Laughable. Spoken like a man that really isn't across our list.

Something would have to seriously seriously stink for us to fall backwards that far when we have so many in that 50-100 game range and one of the youngest lists in the league. Our pre-season hasn't really excited me, but we are getting seriously underrated and will surprise many.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back