Autopsy Round 18 vs Essendon @ Marvel Stadium 17.07.22 - 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Coming into this one after arguably our best win ever. Let's keep this winning feeling going!

Who comes in? Rosas appeared to do a hamstring and the logical replacement would be Rankine if we're willing to play him shortly after recovering from Covid. Constable was best on in the VFL win so he could be in line for a call up. I'd like to see Caleb Graham go out for Rory Thompson but I just feel like Dew won't do it after that win over Richmond. I wonder if Jy Farrar could come into the equation. What about Hollands? Does he deserve a call up or should we wait a little longer?

Take down Essendon and we've got 9 wins for the season and a serious shot at finals. Let's go!

Don't think there will be too many changes but hopefully rankine is good to go for rosas and I think Hollands is an upgrade on Flanders

Id like Hollands on a HBF, push Ellis back to a wing, Rankine in for Rosas, Flanders forward, get him off a wing he is wasted there. Ace out and Fiorini out for Constable
Might sound weird, but I actually didn’t mind Ellis in defence. Felt pretty calm and experienced. Maybe wasn’t damaging, but was reasonably effective (won’t mention some other defenders by comparison…) Ellis usually is a more defensive winger anyway. As far as position changes go it was better than most who have tried that role. I could see them doing it again.

Maybe Hollands/Atkins/Farrar/Markov to a wing for some speed and kicking in the team. We looked slow at times. Also, compare our centre clearance numbers to our stoppages and that will show that teams with speed often burn us in the middle bounce. But we can even it out once it gets more congested.

But yeah, can’t see too many definite changes, though a few players should be nervous. Rankine the obvious inclusion if fit for Rosas.

I'm beginning to lose a bit of faith in flanders.

With Ainsworth early on you could see it. He had some exceptional games in his first 2 seasons. Kicked a few bags, had some good midfield minutes when he rotated, he was just held back by injuries a little.

Same as Rankine - You could see why he was rated so highly.

I'm yet to see that with Sam. He's just not getting enough of the ball, he's not a particularly amazing (or bad for that matter) ball user, and he doesn't seem to have an eye for goal.

Rosas (even with how bad he was tonight) and Jeffrey have shown considerably more from the same draft or later.

Needs a run in the middle to really see how good he is, but I hope Hollands or Constable get a run in his spot.

I'm beginning to lose a bit of faith in flanders.

With Ainsworth early on you could see it. He had some exceptional games in his first 2 seasons. Kicked a few bags, had some good midfield minutes when he rotated, he was just held back by injuries a little.

Same as Rankine - You could see why he was rated so highly.

I'm yet to see that with Sam. He's just not getting enough of the ball, he's not a particularly amazing (or bad for that matter) ball user, and he doesn't seem to have an eye for goal.

Rosas (even with how bad he was tonight) and Jeffrey have shown considerably more from the same draft or later.

Needs a run in the middle to really see how good he is, but I hope Hollands or Constable get a run in his spot.
Did a decent job quelling Rioli influence in the later part of the game.
But you hope he’d end up more than defensive forward.

Danger game. Essendon are a much better team under the roof in perfect conditions, and are built absolutely the opposite to us in terms of playing uncontested, bruise free footy. Our midfield will need to be on to stop their crab midfield from streaming forward and dictating play.

If we can get on top, Levi/Chol/Day should have plenty of opportunity.

changes:
Graham > Thompson (to 2MP)
Oea > Farrar (Ellis/Bowes out of the backline)
Rosas > Rankine
maybe Flanders > Atkins as well

Danger game. Essendon are a much better team under the roof in perfect conditions, and are built absolutely the opposite to us in terms of playing uncontested, bruise free footy. Our midfield will need to be on to stop their crab midfield from streaming forward and dictating play.

changes:
Rosas > Rankine
I would look to keep Oea in, he's tackling pressure is elite, and Ellis/bowes looked superb at half back yesterday.

It'd be nice to knock off three of the big four Melbourne clubs this year after already beating Carlton and Richmond this year (damn you Collingwood!). We've never beaten Essendon at Marvel but we know this has been a season of many firsts for our club so I wouldn't be too worried about that stat.

We are currently the $1.66 favourites with the bookies for this match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham has to go, I think he has a future but he was woeful yesterday
Nearly lost us the game
Waving his arms around in the last quarter directing traffic while Riewoldt ran off him by 25m and marked and goaled

inflated-happy-face-picture-id1165609901

Last edited:
I don't think Ace is best 22 but fantastic to see he can actually play at AFL level
I agree. With Rosas and Jeffery out there is a spot for a speedy small forward. He hasn’t “lost” his spot from his last two games, having kicked a goal each game and laid a few key tackles. Needs to work on positioning as he will rarely get a clean mark, but has a few nice attributes for now.

He’s playing for a contract too.

I agree. With Rosas and Jeffery out there is a spot for a speedy small forward. He hasn’t “lost” his spot from his last two games, having kicked a goal each game and laid a few key tackles. Needs to work on positioning as he will rarely get a clean mark, but has a few nice attributes for now.

He’s playing for a contract too.
I'm wondering if he hurt his finger/hand during the celebrations yesterday. Would hate to see him miss over something like that

I don't think Ace is best 22 but fantastic to see he can actually play at AFL level
I don't think he is either, but right now he's playing his role. 2 goals in 2 games, and has applied a few holding the balls. He's doing more than Rosas atm

Was listening to the Lions-Essendon game on the radio.
They were saying Shiel and Merrett were just running away from Lyons and Rayner at times.
Caldwell Tagged Neale - can probably expect him to do the same to Miller.
Jack Payne was just letting Wright run and jump at it and he was marking everything
Collins often takes front position which I think is the best way to play against Wright.

You imagine the coaches would have made the trip up to the Gabba to watch it live.

They were saying Shiel and Merrett were just running away from Lyons and Rayner at times.
Jack Payne was just letting Wright run and jump at it and he was marking everything
Collins often takes front position which I think is the best way to play against Wright.

You imagine the coaches would have made the trip up to the Gabba to watch it live.

Dewey, Rhys Shaw and the stats guy always sitting next to dew were there at the gabba today

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Probably not going to make much of a difference but Massimo D'Ambrosio did get subbed out with a corked in the game against Brisbane today. So he might miss this match.

I reckon the Lyons Golden Time is ending rapidly.He was always slow but made up for it with footy brain and his inside grunt.Nowhere to hide when you can't go with in todays game

changes:
Rosas > Rankine

See value in all 4 but it's hard to make changes like that to a winning team. That being said, we were pretty awful for at least a half yesterday, and some players (graham) got worse as the game went on.

Hollands maybe (?) I would love to see him come in, give him a taste of the level before pre-season so he can see what's expected of an afl player.

Very impressive by the bombers to knock off Brisbane, won't be one way but our tails should be up after a come from behind victory like that.

Hey guys, girls and thewizardmelon. Going to be an interesting one considering that you haven't beaten us since 2016 and this'll probably be the first time you're the favourites since then as well.

I'm worried about your key forwards as a Bombers fan, our key defenders are a bit undersized. Who do you expect to go to Jones and Stringer up front? I'm guessing Collins will head to Wright (and as to the point about playing Wright from in front, that's what Payne did today and got lost a bit doing that).

Hey guys, girls and thewizardmelon. Going to be an interesting one considering that you haven't beaten us since 2016 and this'll probably be the first time you're the favourites since then as well.

I'm worried about your key forwards as a Bombers fan, our key defenders are a bit undersized. Who do you expect to go to Jones and Stringer up front? I'm guessing Collins will head to Wright (and as to the point about playing Wright from in front, that's what Payne did today and got lost a bit doing that).

The tough part is the Suns have performed well at locking the hall in the forward half this season. The entries aren’t always spectacular but time in forward half has been much improved.

Graham/Thompson onto Stringer, with Collins on 2MP.

Game will be won in the clinches yet again though. If Witts gives the mids first use of the ball it should produce plenty of opportunity to score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back