Review Round 22 = Sydney 77-50 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw Rampe break WHE's nose with a wild swing at the footy in a marking contest. I'm not sure it was very different from the defensive punch that cost Maynard two games
Only difference was Hoskin-Elliott didn’t get knocked out when he hit the ground. Shouldn’t change the penalty, but it will. Would be interesting to see how the tribunal/appeals see such an act now Rioli and Cripps have got off though.

Name 4 who'd be ahead of him?
I'd struggle to name them and B&F counting rewards playing lots of games, so Adams/DeGoey won't be finishing ahead of him.
Josh could go close to winning it. He's been a lot more influential than Crisp in recent weeks.
N Daicos

I just watched the first half as due to high anxiety I cannot watch us live on tv. I cannot match up the bile which was directed toward Cameron and Howe in particular with what I've been watching

As I checked the board it was all about Cameron being a dud and getting slaughtered by Hickey and Howe turning over every kick. I know emotion colours your perspective at times but Cox and Cameron did a lot of nice things as did Jeremy.

There is nothing I have seen from the Swans which I find overly impressive. It was good tight footy

He'll, Degoey and Adams would have made a huge difference yet we hung in anyway.

We have to beat Carlton. Do that and we are in this up to our eyeballs. Avoiding Richmond at all costs could be the key!

I'll watch the second half later. Note to self. Stay off Match day forum!
We may be twins separated at birth.

It has been a very wet year in Sydney so their players would have trained more under those wet conditions. The size of the ground as well as the conditions were a big factor.

That's the position I'm taking and I won't be swayed! :)
dont understand this size of ground thing ... SCG is only 5m shorter and 5 metres thinner than mcg.... if that miniscule diemnsion affects the way teams player I am astounded
1660517451811.png

dont understand this size of ground thing ... SCG is only 5m shorter and 5 metres thinner than mcg.... if that miniscule diemnsion affects the way teams player I am astounded
View attachment 1477801

Another way of looking at those numbers is that it's almost 7% smaller. 5m is a wide enough corridor for a passage of play, it must make a difference.

Surely its the Area Per Player though. Huge difference there.

And for what its worth absolutely horrendous to watch on T.V with those camera angles. Amateurish stuff.

That‘s true and that’s because we aren’t great around the contests. But I was still disappointed in Lipinski and I thought Crisp was a bit down and Quaynor should be doing more for his talent.
Quaynor was opposed to Papley, I believe, and had his L plates, on as he was lead a less than merry dance by the Swan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely its the Area Per Player though. Huge difference there.

And for what its worth absolutely horrendous to watch on T.V with those camera angles. Amateurish stuff.
1660518189807.png
Another way of looking at those numbers is that it's almost 7% smaller. 5m is a wide enough corridor for a passage of play, it must make a difference.

View attachment 1477807

Thanks great link. :thumbsu:

I believe the size, shape, and conditions gave Sydney an advantage yesterday. Not to discount that they were the better team on the day.

The result would have been different at the G.

Last edited:
8.5? no 5 and it is not a lot Adelaide and marvel are even smaller - dont see anyone mentiong the size of those???
People do often talk about their size, but they are both longer than the SCG (AO is longer than the MCG). They also are the shared home ground of multiple clubs, unlike the SCG

View attachment 1477807

The thing I find more astounding is that GMHBA/Skilled/Kardinia Park is only 115m wide, which is 26m narrower than the MCG. Amateur hour!

I don't know how you can bear not to watch?
I leave the house. If I'm near a tv I know I'll keep sneaking a look . I do check the live scores every 15 or so minutes but I won't be suffering the moment by moment purgatory of dropped marks, missed chances and terrible umpiring decisions which would have me yelling and apoplectic most of the time.

It's simply the lesser of two evils.

I leave the house. If I'm near a tv I know I'll keep sneaking a look . I do check the live scores every 15 or so minutes but I won't be suffering the moment by moment purgatory of dropped marks, missed chances and terrible umpiring decisions which would have me yelling and apoplectic most of the time.

It's simply the lesser of two evils.
You could hardly come on here and comment with any authority after a game if your experience is a score every 15 minutes or so.

Last edited:
I suspect we may be making up the numbers come september, even if we make top 4.

At the same time wouldn't be surprised if we truly are contenders and win the whole box and dice, we're winning the metrics that have us in that window.

Our pressure is elite - but we were out pressured yesterday. Sydney are probably a couple of years ahead in development, hell the whole comp was ahead of us at the start of the year.

We'll really know where we're at come finals, I won't be disappointed if we exit in straight sets. It's been a great year!

If this year isn't the promised land, hopefully next year Pendles, Sides and Howe continue their form so we don't fall off the cliff.

I suspect sr36 was correct in his assumption about the next coupla years in the 'buoyant' thread.

I suspect we may be making up the numbers come september, even if we make top 4.

At the same time wouldn't be surprised if we truly are contenders and win the whole box and dice, we're winning the metrics that have us in that window.

Our pressure is elite - but we were out pressured yesterday. Sydney are probably a couple of years ahead in development, hell the whole comp was ahead of us at the start of the year.

We'll really know where we're at come finals, I won't be disappointed if we exit in straight sets. It's been a great year!

If this year isn't the promised land, hopefully next year Pendles, Sides and Howe continue their form so we don't fall off the cliff.

I suspect sr36 was correct in his assumption about the next coupla years in the 'buoyant' thread.
You seem to want to both bat and bowl then take the stumps home with you. I'll do the 'disappointed' parts for you if we exit in straight sets - I suppose you also don't want to have your life defined by a premiership? Nor do I intend to console myself with thoughts of players valiantly clinging to cliffs as they fall short of the promised land. I'd rather we win while I am still alive.

Thanks great link. :thumbsu:

I believe the size, shape, and conditions gave Sydney an advantage yesterday. Not to discount that they were the better team on the day.

The result would have been different at the G.
the result at MCG would have been the same ... serously how can u blame sthe groudn when clearly we were outplayed!!

No one's been dominant all year Crisp hit form mid season for a block then died off, NDaicos had a run.
JDaicos has been good for probably the longest stretch.
Degoey had a run, Grundy had some good opening games, Elliott bobbed up here or there.
Ginnivans had some good games early and maynard also been consistent down back.

Be a close vote.
Think Maynard is the clear leader personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back