Review Round 22 = Sydney 77-50 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I read that, I was only going on the quoted dimensions. It does look a bit asymmetrical with a deeper wing on the Member's Stand side:

View attachment 1478231

Great venue for cricket…

I pray (figuratively) that if we have to play them up there in a final it’s at Telstra Stadium.

Great venue for cricket…

I pray (figuratively) that if we have to play them up there in a final it’s at Telstra Stadium.
Now Accor Stadium and apparently no AFL being played there that I can see.
Edit: Sydney played GWS there in round 1, so I'm wrong again.

Last edited:
The Swans have mined down into whole new depths of tragic …

… now I’m not normally one of those ‘too-cool-for-skool’ grinch types that poo poo’s Sweet Caroline. Not my thing, but I don’t begrudge others enjoying a sing-along. I don’t poo poo kiss-cam either. Again, not my thing, but if others want to embrace it then go right at it.

But their latest game day thing has got me properly rolling my eyes, tut tutting, shaking my head, and face palming …

… and this really happened. I kid you not …

… the half time entertainment had Mike Brady singing “Up there for Sydney”, some alternate lyrics to the tune of ‘Up there Cazaly’.

Awful, just plain awful.
The Swans were celebrating 40 years of being in Sydney, which was why they had all of those past players wandering around. 'Up There for Sydney' was the theme song from 40 years ago, so they dusted it off for yesterday as a tribute.
Back in the day, they would play it after every Swans goal until our brains bled, so it was good to have had such a long break from it.

I don’t suffer from anxiety.
However, I did enjoy and found it much more relaxing, (as much as a loss can be) without the commentary.
The fact I can’t stand BT’s crap was part of the decision to turn it off.
You chose an excellent game to mute. Perhaps the worst commentary team I can remember. Burgoyne provides absolutely no insight, BT is BT, and the third guy was outright barracking for Sydney

The Swans were celebrating 40 years of being in Sydney, which was why they had all of those past players wandering around. 'Up There for Sydney' was the theme song from 40 years ago, so they dusted it off for yesterday as a tribute.
Back in the day, they would play it after every Swans goal until our brains bled, so it was good to have had such a long break from it.
That is surely grounds for an abuse charge.

The commentary was woeful. Even when Doug Wade or Bill Twomey or Bob Davis were sole commentators of games in footy replays of the 70s they were better.

Taylor is just an annoying buffoon and the co-commentators were rubbish.

Yes, I read that, I was only going on the quoted dimensions. It does look a bit asymmetrical with a deeper wing on the Member's Stand side:

View attachment 1478231
Like a large portion of Sydney's roads system the SCG was originally marked out by a drunk bloke from the Sydney fruit markets walking his dog.

Well it was cabbage on the end of a rope, but he was so drunk he thought it was a Collie.

also our defensive system held up. 77 isnt a huge score
we lost because their defensive system is excellent and we couldn't find ways through it
WE missed a few we could normally pencil in.
3 set shots fell short and Checkers missed a bog stock kick off the ground at 99 degrees to the posts.

Not overly fussed by the loss.
It was coming just when was the question.
Reset, get our heads together and smack the filth next week,

Then it's *in finals time...........

Not too worried by yesterday on the priviso that we knock off Carlton. Once we do that we are 4th minimum with a likely QF v Geelong. That suits, stay in Melb, get Geel on the G and we are a chance. Whats more with the craziest rule the AFL has ever introduced, the pre finals bye, losing the QF is not a problem, certainly not statistically.

In the 10 years prior to the finals bye 18 out of 20 QF winners (90%) went on to win their PF and play off. Roughly what you expect. QF winner should be strongly favoured and have an advantage with a weeks rest. Since the bye only 5 of 12 QF winners have won their PF. No coaches wants 2 weeks off in 3 when your opponents get the optimal running with a week off then 2 good matches. That is a broken system for anyone who cares about fairness. It cant be a statistical disavantage to win the QF.

Still it might work for us in 22 so change it in 23

View attachment 1478231
I wondered whether it’s the pockets that give it that squished feeling.
Judging by that shot, maybe it is.

No free here though…

46c74bd6697b62ba790bbeaff7daca70.jpg

4817b663b41738c22eaabfa4c64e959a.jpg

ccb9ea6b59a0f63c1bcd0a6ecc74e685.jpg
The Scump needs his Eyes Checked as Happened Straight in front him

We got smashed at the coal face and clearances (please don’t give me the stats, I was there and we got beaten hands down).

Our inability to win the 50/50 contents coupled with not being able to keep the ball on the forward fifty at all was problematic across every quarter.

Adams and DeGoey not playing really hurt.

The music after goals was just annoying as watching WHE stroll around and there was no atmosphere at all.
I was there too and agree with everything you say. Our pressure around centre clearance, ball ups around the ground and the fall of a marking contest wasn't great. They always had an extra player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not too worried by yesterday on the priviso that we knock off Carlton. Once we do that we are 4th minimum with a likely QF v Geelong. That suits, stay in Melb, get Geel on the G and we are a chance. Whats more with the craziest rule the AFL has ever introduced, the pre finals bye, losing the QF is not a problem, certainly not statistically.

In the 10 years prior to the finals bye 18 out of 20 QF winners (90%) went on to win their PF and play off. Roughly what you expect. QF winner should be strongly favoured and have an advantage with a weeks rest. Since the bye only 5 of 12 QF winners have won their PF. No coaches wants 2 weeks off in 3 when your opponents get the optimal running with a week off then 2 good matches. That is a broken system for anyone who cares about fairness. It cant be a statistical disavantage to win the QF.

Still it might work for us in 22 so change it in 23

We are no Certains to beat Carlton on Sunday

We could not lay tackles,they seemed to shrug of our tackles and move onto the next possession,which obviously put us under pressure when we finally got the ball and caused clangers from our better players.
Sydney at times appeared to have so many loose players running up and down the field with out an opponent.
Our players to me just seemed flat on the day.

We could not lay tackles,they seemed to shrug of our tackles and move onto the next possession,which obviously put us under pressure when we finally got the ball and caused clangers from our better players.
Sydney at times appeared to have so many loose players running up and down the field with out an opponent.
Our players to me just seemed flat on the day.
I agree. Our tackling, pressure which is our DNA was absolutely nowhere.
Whether it was because they had like 8-9 days off, or for whatever reason. Individuals. The side as a whole was as flat as ive seen them all season. Hopefully it was a wake up call that wins wont come like they have the last 11 weeks. You have to fight for them.

I agree. Our tackling, pressure which is our DNA was absolutely nowhere.
Whether it was because they had like 8-9 days off, or for whatever reason. Individuals. The side as a whole was as flat as ive seen them all season. Hopefully it was a wake up call that wins wont come like they have the last 11 weeks. You have to fight for them.

In my experience even being 5-10% off with any illness you can go from really hunting someone in a tackle to just exhausting yourself to even close down space, let alone really exerting yourself into making a tackle. That's why (I hope) we saw a lot of arm swing tackles rather than full-chested, proper drag-down tackles.

I just hope we actually do have full energy back for the Blues game. I was reluctant to use illness as an excuse but hearing the voices of a few of the boys (McRae included) yesterday and today, I've got no doubt it was a factor.

I’ve just caught up with the last quarter, which I previously hadn’t seen.

Our intensity was pretty good for that latter part of the game, it’s just that absolutely nothing went right for us. I can live with that outcome, you are going to have games like that every now and again. I just wish it was a Friday night game so we’d have the longer break to get players healthy before round 23. Elliott looked like death in that last quarter!

Seriously though, AJ having kicks fall short, Daicos running around and missing, Mihocek getting run down on the goal line, Elliott falling short… and every bounce seemed to go the Swans’ way. Pendlebury kicking turnovers, all our tackles either slipping off or the umpires ignoring balls dropped on the ground. WHE unable to breathe once he finally got back on the ground…

If De Goey plays, our boys aren’t lethargic from flu, back on a reasonable sized ground, get Henry or Macrae in for Ginnivan… we’re going to look like a completely different team come Sunday at the MCG.

On an unrelated note, that game highlights where McStay could help next year. Teams are going to want to force us to kick long to a outnumbered contest, and we don’t have guys who can bust packs with Kreuger injured. On smaller grounds with scragging opponents, a McStay or fit Kreuger would provide Elliott, McCreery, Ginnivan, etc. so many more opportunities.

The Scump needs his Eyes Checked as Happened Straight in front him

"BALLLLLL!"!!!! was yelled enthusiastically at the Pie Eyed residence at that particular point in time and space.
Then the shovel and bag of lime brung out for a man in yellow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back