Autopsy Round 23 vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Who was it from GC who was dragging SPP backwards along the ground by his guernsey while SPP was just looking relaxed/amused with his hands folded on his abdomen? Poor GC player was furious about something and everyone was ignoring him. I didn't pick it up at the game but saw it on the replay this morning.
SPPs responses to retaliation are priceless

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'd definitely stick with Marshall but I won't melt it is happens.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a tough one, but ultimately for me, Marshall actually looks like and plays like a natural forward - that alone is gold.

Trengove looks lost up forward and will never be anything other than average.

Average isn't what we should be looking for.

Any of Marshalls next games could be break out games.

And personally I'd like him out there learning his craft under Dixon & co in the A's.

1Sl1Cpb.jpg

By request of RossFC.

Finally arrived home totally pissed off having lost my Visa card:mad: and no doubt everything about last night has been well covered but a couple of observations. Firstly plaudits to Jake and SGray who have both copped heaps this year - self guilty of. But the primary thing for me was the accurate field kicking. Been a long time since lifting the eyes etc and nailing kicks either to advantage or straight to the player has been a feature. Still not perfect but a shed load of improvement on some passed performances.

And young Marshall. What a future:thumbsu:

Look we clearly have different opinions, and you're entitled to that, but geez, you can't go saying how the **** when it isn't just obvious when watching, but it is incredibly obvious when you look at the stats.

Marshall's 2 games. 10 disp, 0 goals. 6 disp, 1 goal.
Trengove has had 1 game out of 19 with less than 10 disposals.

Trengove against all the bottom 4 sides, has averaged above 2.2 and 14.75 touches
Marshall got 6 with 1.2, yep 6 touches, in our biggest win of the year, playing up forward.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=14&type=A&pid1=3128&pid2=6308&fid1=S&fid2=S

You then look at the SANFL performance of Marshall V Trengove:

Trengove has had 3 games in the SANFL, all above 20 disposals. Averaging 2.5

Marshall has had 17 touches once, 15 once, two 11 possession games, and the other 12 games have all been below 10.
Marshall has averaged a whopping 8 touches and 1.3 a game in the SANFL.

Marshall is a good kid choc full of talent, but to dismiss people that acknowledge the fact and stats that highlight how far off the pace Marshall is, is silly.

All these touches you speak about Trengove getting have been in the ruck.

As I said he is invisible up forward and quoting touches that he gets when in the ruck doesn't change that.

It's a tough one, but ultimately for me, Marshall actually looks like and plays like a natural forward - that alone is gold.

Trengove looks lost up forward and will never be anything other than average.
Average isn't what we should be looking for.

Any of Marshalls next games could be break out games.
And personally I'd like him out there learning his craft under Dixon & co in the A's.

Marshall's last quarter had the breakout game feels.

Finally arrived home totally pissed off having lost my Visa card:mad: and no doubt everything about last night has been well covered but a couple of observations. Firstly plaudits to Jake and SGray who have both copped heaps this year - self guilty of. But the primary thing for me was the accurate field kicking. Been a long time since lifting the eyes etc and nailing kicks either to advantage or straight to the player has been a feature. Still not perfect but a shed load of improvement on some passed performances.

And young Marshall. What a future:thumbsu:
Yes the skills were much improved last night

Skills poor for first qtr. Classic chronic overuse of the ball.
Was better after that.

Liked that we knew what the target was, and so often let it overwhelm us and we choke.
But we regrouped and kept focussed on the process.

Also good to see the kids do well. Ken finally getting the message that the same old faces give the same old results.

We went inside 50, 77 times for 35 scores. That means 42 times they got it out of our F50. Yes they stacked the backline but we were poor at converting especially in the first half. 2.3 from 19 I50 in first quarter and 9.6 from 41 I50 by half time. We kicked 11.9 from the 36 I50 in the second half.

We had
75 I50 v GC in Shanghai for 16.14
71 I50 v Carlton at AO for 20.17
68 I50 v Freo at AO for 22.13........... 22 marks I50
68 I50 v WCE at AO for 12.15 lose
68 I50 v Rich at AO for 8.15 lose
67 I50 v Bris at Gabba for 22.18....... 22 marks I50
66 I50 v Bris at AO for 18.13
64 I50 v Haw at AO for 13.20

The game we let the oppo get the ball out the least number of times from our F50 was 20 times against Geelong when we had 44 I50's for 11.13.

Pleasingly we took 18 marks inside 50 and had good set shot conversion. It should have been 19 when Marshall took the mark cleanly as he dived had stopped the ball and controlled but it bobbled out when he hit the ground. We kicked 12.5. Plus we kicked 1.1 from free kicks.

Hands down highlight for the night for me wasnt the final margin, s "hes not a forward hes a mid" garys 6 goals, not dixons form or marshalls leaping; they were all special but what i loved the most was aidyn johnson. You could clearly see why the club recruited him; manic pace and aggression that he has shown in every game of afl level that hes played. At least once a game he lays massive bump that makes you go oh s**t. Yes his kicking and polish needs work - there was a forward entry were he bursted away from the oppo and the forward needed a low dart and he ended up missing him by a mile. Todays gsme is so dangerous with fast rebound footy that theres no place for complacancy. The hightlight of the night for me was his tackle on the goal line, second effort to lay another tackle. Ferocious tackles too which led to a goal. Theres a reason why he was always going to get picked first by us even though he had injuey history and bonner was suprisingly avaliable. Hes kept matt white out of the team too which isnt the easiest feat when ken prefers his older players. Clean up disposal, add another couple kgs and maybe hit the scoreboard too but his pressure aggression cult figure potential pace and athleticism is all there. Congrats recruiting team think weve found another one here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hands down highlight for the night for me wasnt the final margin, s "hes not a forward hes a mid" garys 6 goals, not dixons form or marshalls leaping; they were all special but what i loved the most was aidyn johnson. You could clearly see why the club recruited him; manic pace and aggression that he has shown in every game of afl level that hes played. At least once a game he lays massive bump that makes you go oh s**t. Yes his kicking and polish needs work - there was a forward entry were he bursted away from the oppo and the forward needed a low dart and he ended up missing him by a mile. Todays gsme is so dangerous with fast rebound footy that theres no place for complacancy. The hightlight of the night for me was his tackle on the goal line, second effort to lay another tackle. Ferocious tackles too which led to a goal. Theres a reason why he was always going to get picked first by us even though he had injuey history and bonner was suprisingly avaliable. Hes kept matt white out of the team too which isnt the easiest feat when ken prefers his older players. Clean up disposal, add another couple kgs and maybe hit the scoreboard too but his pressure aggression cult figure potential pace and athleticism is all there. Congrats recruiting team think weve found another one here
This is why I want him in my finals team. Finals is all about manic pressure. He will deliver it in spades even though his disposal stats will be low. In my Young Guns votes I gave him 3 votes against the Dogs and 2 last night and it would have been 3 if Houston's kicking wasn't so brilliant. I didn't see enough of him last year to form an opinion, but a few things in the trial games and then Rd 1 for the Magpies against the Bays, I thought this kid will play A grade this year if he keeps attacking the ball with that sort of pace.

This is why I want him in my finals team. Finals is all about manic pressure. He will deliver it in spades even though his disposal stats will be low. In my Young Guns votes I gave him 3 votes against the Dogs and 2 last night and it would have been 3 if Houston's kicking wasn't so brilliant. I didn't see enough of him last year to form an opinion, but a few things in the trial games and then Rd 1 for the Magpies against the Bays, I thought this kid will play A grade this year if he keeps attacking the ball with that sort of pace.
I liked Neade's ferocious pressure too.

How ridiculous is his closing speed. That tackle on Saad, he was out of frame and then boom, there he was.

How ridiculous is his closing speed. That tackle on Saad, he was out of frame and then boom, there he was.
He has a fair bit of force behind him as well for such a skinny kid. It's quite strange, but sometimes he barrels over the opponent with the front of his body after running full tilt at them. It's like he goes for a tackle front on but without using his arms. Love his pressure, would be great if he'd could get a few more touches.

We went inside 50, 77 times for 35 scores. That means 42 times they got it out of our F50. Yes they stacked the backline but we were poor at converting especially in the first half. 2.3 from 19 I50 in first quarter and 9.6 from 41 I50 by half time. We kicked 11.9 from the 36 I50 in the second half.

We had
75 I50 v GC in Shanghai for 16.14
71 I50 v Carlton at AO for 20.17
68 I50 v Freo at AO for 22.13........... 22 marks I50
68 I50 v WCE at AO for 12.15 lose
68 I50 v Rich at AO for 8.15 lose
67 I50 v Bris at Gabba for 22.18....... 22 marks I50
66 I50 v Bris at AO for 18.13
64 I50 v Haw at AO for 13.20

The game we let the oppo get the ball out the least number of times from our F50 was 20 times against Geelong when we had 44 I50's for 11.13.

Pleasingly we took 18 marks inside 50 and had good set shot conversion. It should have been 19 when Marshall took the mark cleanly as he dived had stopped the ball and controlled but it bobbled out when he hit the ground. We kicked 12.5. Plus we kicked 1.1 from free kicks.

But this should also be compared with our ability to keep our opponents away from their 50, shouldn't it?

Last edited:
But this should also be compared with out ability to keep our opponents away from their 50, shouldn't it?
Yeah - nah. Come finals time with the extra pressure we will probably only get the ball inside 50 - 45 to 50 times. We have to be more efficient as probably 13 goals will win the game so if we go in 50 times and kick 13.10 then we have converted more than 50% of our chances into scores. having 35 scoring shots from 77 inside 50's is a poor conversion rate given we were so dominate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back