Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/players/rupert-wills

Dale Tapping Says: Rupert is a powerful, tall midfielder. He feel like he’s got some really good attributes and is going to learn the game and take a lot out of this year. He’s got really good upside and has some genuine power with the way he plays. He’s quite an exciting player.

Boom! It's like Abbott all over again.

In other news, the player will be s**t. With a name like his, he should have been a French horn player.

I wish I understood what was going on in this draft period... :confused:

I think we'll find out in a few years exactly why all of the draft watchers said this was an especially bad draft... Until then just have fun and support the newbies :D

150325_rupertwillslarge.jpg

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/season/vfl/players/rupert-wills

Dale Tapping Says: Rupert is a powerful, tall midfielder. He feel like he’s got some really good attributes and is going to learn the game and take a lot out of this year. He’s got really good upside and has some genuine power with the way he plays. He’s quite an exciting player.
Finally a thread started with some actual information - thanks NT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Second on my all time favourite list.

Great memories.

Same actually, I always find it hard to split who my favourite player was between:

Tarkin Lockyer
Paul Licuria
Simon Prestigiacomo
Ripetta Betheras

MagpieBat what can you tell us?

Tall mid, fair bit of chunk to him, averaged 17 disposals over 6 games (highest haul was a 23 disposal performance against Casey), at an effectiveness of 67.6%. Averaged 4.83 tackles per game. Had his moments, but I never thought much of his performances, to tell you the truth. If I was going to point to a VFL Pies player who I thought would get a draft pick, I would have though Pendlebury or even Moloney. Obviously Wills has been more of a quiet achiever. They certainly liked what they saw of him...

Last played against Werribee in mid June. Didn't break back into the side after that, which was interesting, considering our VFL midfield was missing guys like Kennedy and Hellier at certain points in that second half of the year. Went back to Old Scotch, I think...?

The moment which immediately comes to mind from watching him was against Werribee (the Abbott 6 goals game), where he stormed through a stoppage deep in our forward line from the knockdown, parted the seas, emerged with the football and thumped it through for a goal. That was nice...:D

His reviews from each game...

Round 1 vs North Ballarat:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics
: 7 kicks, 3 marks, 13 handballs, 20 disposals, 1 clearance, 2 inside 50s, 0 rebound 50s, 4 tackles
Dale Tapping says: It was Rupert’s first official game at the club. He had 20 possessions. For a young player, he’s got some really good attributes and we feel that he can develop into a really good player for the VFL program as the season progresses.

Round 2 vs Essendon:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics
: 9 kicks, 2 marks, 5 handballs, 14 disposals, 4 clearance, 2 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50s, 5 tackles
Tarkyn Lockyer says: Played his role in solid performance against a really strong opposition.

Round 3 vs Footscray:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics
: 5 kicks, 1 mark, 12 handballs, 17 disposals, 4 clearances, 0 inside 50s, 2 rebound 50s, 4 tackles
Notes: A smooth performance on the wing, gathering 17 disposals while linking up between the defenders and the forwards.

Round 5 vs Richmond:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics:
7 kicks, 3 marks, 8 handballs, 15 disposals, 4 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 0 rebound 50s, 7 tackles
Notes: Was a go-to man at the centre bounces. Arguably doesn’t get the same attention as his fellow midfielders and responded with four clearances.

Round 8 vs Casey:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics:
14 kicks, 5 marks, 9 handballs, 23 disposals, 7 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s, 3 tackles
Notes: Wills was arguably Collingwood’s best VFL listed player on the occasion as he worked hard around the stoppages to finish the game with seven clearances.

Round 9 vs Werribee:

65. Rupert Wills
Statistics:
9 kicks, 5 marks, 4 handballs, 13 disposals, 2 clearances, 4 inside 50s, 0 rebound 50s, 6 tackles, 1 goal
Notes: Starting on the bench, Wills acted as a midfield rotation. Cashed in on the goal-kicking frenzy in the third quarter, kicking Collingwood’s ninth major of the term.

Last edited:
Tall mid, fair bit of chunk to him, averaged 17 disposals over 6 games (highest haul was a 23 disposal performance against Casey), at an effectiveness of 67.6%. Averaged 4.83 tackles per game. Had his moments, but I never thought much of his performances, to tell you the truth. If I was going to point to a VFL Pies player who I thought would get a draft pick, I would have though Pendlebury or even Moloney. Obviously Wills has been more of a quiet achiever. They certainly liked what they saw of him...

Last played against Werribee in mid June. Didn't break back into the side after that, which was interesting, considering our VFL midfield was missing guys like Kennedy and Hellier at certain points in that second half of the year. Went back to Old Scotch, I think...?

The moment which immediately comes to mind from watching him was watching him against Werribee (the Abbott 6 goals game) storm through a stoppage deep in our forward line from the knockdown, part the seas, emerge with the football and thump it through for a goal. That was nice...:D

His reviews from each game...

Round 1 vs North Ballarat:

Round 2 vs Essendon:

Round 3 vs Footscray:

Round 5 vs Richmond:

Round 8 vs Casey:

Round 9 vs Werribee:

It has certainly been a theme of this draft that we targeted some big bodied midfield types. Sier and Wills both over 190. Crocker also with some size. Phillips is the smallest but has an AFL frame about him.

Before sen lost the feed Hine was talking about Wills copping a concussion and missing the rest of year, which would explain why he only managed 6 early games.

Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back