Player Watch Rupert Wills (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope he bloody puts in the hrs on his kicking during the off season
His kicking really isn't that bad. There are far worse culprits in our side when it comes to shanking the ball.

I think we have at least 2 of the big bodied mid types now
I think Maynard will become a similar type to Wills....interesting times ahead

Hopefully Sier as well.

Similar player to Sier but miles in front.
We can probably only have one of these types for black so he is front running at the moment.

Speed might not be an issue as much as endurance and strength when the interchanges drop in coming years.

Definitely worth persevering with at this stage.

Well done Rupert!

Wills turned 23 in May so is 3 1/2 years older than Sier who will turn 19 in December. You'd expect him to be in front.

If Sier is still on the list at the same age then we'll have a player. Sier also has a pretty handy set of wheels which is something else we're lacking.

Greenwood is certainly solid though not really a-grade for mine, if we are to start shaping towards a tilt at the top then players like Wills and DeGoey need to be improving and passing him in terms of quality and performance.

To which I always respond with "point me to the team that has 22 A-grade players running out to play".

Was going to start a new thread on the most important additions to the team this year as far as impact goes, but thought i would pop it in here.
While Treloar has had great numbers and adds that real zip and class to the midfield brigade and should go close in the copeland trophy i would argue that Wills has been our most important addition as far as impact and structure is concerned.

Since Wills has come in a lot of things have changed about the team that may have just under the radar of a lot of supporters.
Wills does add that ability to use the ball quite well, not outstanding but safe enough with ball in hand, he finds it enough for a newbie (18 per game) add to that the 10 tackles per game and here is where it really starts to come together.

Wills addition to the team has coincided with 2 things, extra pressure around the ball up situation and contested ball scrimmage, since he has come in it is quite noticeable that the opposition in the last 4 weeks have had a lot harder time in just blitzing the ball out of a contest and a stoppage leaving our defence vunerable and out of position.
He tackles and pressures defensively better than anyone else in that team including Adams and Blair and has stopped the rot of easy possessions for our opponent breaking away from a contest, this has allowed the defence to set a lot better with more time and stopped easy first use in a scrimmage from opposition onballers.
The amount of times he has held up a contest while the reinforcements come and make it a 50/50 is quite noticeable and has coincided with us not leaking easy soft goals.
This guy will prove to be the best addition to the team going forward as far as all the structures working together and we have in my opinion really hit the jackpot with this bloke :thumbsu:.
you stole my thunder a bit. 10 tackles a game . what a gem. he could get close to the most tackles at our club for the year and only playing 5 games lol .

40 tackles in a players first 4 games would have to be a record wouldn't it?
Have to be close.

He's becoming a favourite of mine very quickly. When he tackles, they stick like s**t to a blanket. Take him on at your peril. And the way he bullocks his way out of contests to get a handball away is sublime. He's an absolute beast. And his name is Rupert! Love him

Definitely a shining light in the back end of the season. Dont be fooled by the baby face, Wills is one hard hombre.

I like Axl the great's insight above. Hope he is on the money with that one. Just seeing Wills, with his size, standing up out there in the contests brings a smile.

Wish they got a few more games into him but he was there in the VFL to gain his fitness back I'm assuming. Probably got injured at the wrong time too. Just looks like he's going to really hurt someone one day he's a big unit. Really looking forward to see what he brings next year. Could go past Greenwood and Degoey next year for midfield minutes.

Was going to start a new thread on the most important additions to the team this year as far as impact goes, but thought i would pop it in here.
While Treloar has had great numbers and adds that real zip and class to the midfield brigade and should go close in the copeland trophy i would argue that Wills has been our most important addition as far as impact and structure is concerned.

Since Wills has come in a lot of things have changed about the team that may have just under the radar of a lot of supporters.
Wills does add that ability to use the ball quite well, not outstanding but safe enough with ball in hand, he finds it enough for a newbie (18 per game) add to that the 10 tackles per game and here is where it really starts to come together.

Wills addition to the team has coincided with 2 things, extra pressure around the ball up situation and contested ball scrimmage, since he has come in it is quite noticeable that the opposition in the last 4 weeks have had a lot harder time in just blitzing the ball out of a contest and a stoppage leaving our defence vunerable and out of position.
He tackles and pressures defensively better than anyone else in that team including Adams and Blair and has stopped the rot of easy possessions for our opponent breaking away from a contest, this has allowed the defence to set a lot better with more time and stopped easy first use in a scrimmage from opposition onballers.
The amount of times he has held up a contest while the reinforcements come and make it a 50/50 is quite noticeable and has coincided with us not leaking easy soft goals.
This guy will prove to be the best addition to the team going forward as far as all the structures working together and we have in my opinion really hit the jackpot with this bloke :thumbsu:.

I would love to see the clearance stats since Wills came into the side, in a won, lost and drawn type break down. It would also be interesting to know which players were in the middle and responsible for first and second use in the clearance. As well as first tackle in a draw. And just the personnel in a lost centre stoppage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to see hom get those numbers at AFL level. He's already important for us, but he'd be really good wigh those numbers.
Not out of the question with his current rate of development. He went from 15 disposals in the VFL last year to 24 off the back of 1 heavily interrupted AFL preseason, and is averaging 18 disposals at senior level.
You'd imagine those numbers would likely increase again with a full preseason and more midfield minutes.

Not out of the question with his current rate of development. He went from 15 disposals in the VFL last year to 24 off the back of 1 heavily interrupted AFL preseason, and is averaging 18 disposals at senior level.
You'd imagine those numbers would likely increase again with a full preseason and more midfield minutes.

Agree. Think he only averages around 70% game time at the moment. Figures will only go up once game time does IMO

Wish they got a few more games into him but he was there in the VFL to gain his fitness back I'm assuming. Probably got injured at the wrong time too. Just looks like he's going to really hurt someone one day he's a big unit. Really looking forward to see what he brings next year. Could go past Greenwood and Degoey next year for midfield minutes.

seeing how he is already playing good midfield minutes and degoey doesn't, that's a good bet.

I think we are quick to forget here that Da Goey is still 19-20 and Willis is 23. Da Goey started the year quite well but has dropped off due to tiredness. no surprise given we threw him in due to our early year injury woes.

I think we are quick to forget here that Da Goey is still 19-20 and Willis is 23. Da Goey started the year quite well but has dropped off due to tiredness. no surprise given we threw him in due to our early year injury woes.
No doubt. He's only young but for his age he has the body for it. Another preseason and he'll be ready to go. I have high hopes for him so hopefully we see a break out year for JDG.

Dont remember seeing anyone mention this here, but how big was "the rupes" kick with 24sec to go in the 2nd qtr vs the suns???
The umpire bounces the ball, rupe gets pushed to the ground, grundy gets a little tap to pendles, by this time rupe is on his feet, recieves handball from pendles, takes a couple little steps and slams the ball on his foot whilst being parallel with centre circle. Jessie white takes strong mark about 20m out from goal. I know it was only etihad but that was a huge kick. Commentators got caught up in jessie whites great mark and no credit goes to rupert. Looking forward to many more of those, esp when we get our forwardline sorted

Remove this Banner Ad

Back