Opinion Sack Hinkley 10 - UnTENable

Remove this Banner Ad

Boak and Gray should have made a stand against the coach (internally) if they were serious about winning a flag.

If only 1 took the hard stance (ie me or the coach) then the club would have said goodbye to the player, but I think if the two of them had been vocal and stood together we might have seen a coach change before it was too late in their careers.
Unfortunately for Gray he was compromised, it's in his DNA to want to win but his brilliance saved Hinkley's bacon many times. Rock and a hard place situation, he would have been better off moving to a club like Richmond or Geelong and tasting that success he deserved.

To be fair to Ken, I'll concede that he's our best coach for the past 11 years. But if we want to go back further and compare him with others, I think that's where he starts to struggle.
Disagree. Alan Richardson coached us for a game in 2013.

I will concede he is in our top 2 coaches in the last 11 years though.

Disagree. Alan Richardson coached us for a game in 2013.

I will concede he is in our top 2 coaches in the last 11 years though.
Harsh on Nathan Bassett. Hinkles is at least top 3 though.

I think the biggest issue here is the fact that Ken himself seems to have lost the passion for the job - he's just happy to receive the pay cheque. Whenever he speaks, he comes across as lacking emotion. When your leader does that, it has an effect on those who follow. We're crying out for a new leader, but the club isn't listening.

This is a good shout. At three quarter time of the Saints game they showed him walking on the field in conversation with Chad Cornes. Chad was animated, Ken was smiling and generally looked unbothered. Not unlike when Dixon was animated towards Ken during a break in the Freo game.

I don’t know whether this is the result of mindfulness/leadership rubbish from Wahoo, Yoohoo, Woohoo or Ransom, or whether he’s just emotionally checked out, but it’s clear he’s just going through the motions at this stage like the rest of us.

If the club was prepared to take his coaches box access away, and even commentators are noticing he doesn’t really do much while watching from the bench (no headset, hands in pockets, casual observance), why didn’t they just part ways altogether and let Carr or someone else get on with the task of actually doing the job?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carr is probably actually doing the job. Hence two years for Ken as a figurehead while Carr coaches and saves face if it doesn't go well. Now if that is the case, we know neither he or Ken are wanted by supporters.

This is a good shout. At three quarter time of the Saints game they showed him walking on the field in conversation with Chad Cornes. Chad was animated, Ken was smiling and generally looked unbothered. Not unlike when Dixon was animated towards Ken during a break in the Freo game.

I don’t know whether this is the result of mindfulness/leadership rubbish from Wahoo, Yoohoo, Woohoo or Ransom, or whether he’s just emotionally checked out, but it’s clear he’s just going through the motions at this stage like the rest of us.

If the club was prepared to take his coaches box access away, and even commentators are noticing he doesn’t really do much while watching from the bench (no headset, hands in pockets, casual observance), why didn’t they just part ways altogether and let Carr or someone else get on with the task of actually doing the job?
It's nuts. All of this kind of made sense throughout 2022 and the early part of 2023, he had a contract that we didn't want to payout, but then why did we give him another contract? As you say, aside from the contract itself, nothing else actually indicates that either Ken or the club genuinely believe that Ken is going to coach us to a premiership.

I genuinely think it was just Koch being too much a pussy to cop the inevitable media backlash for sacking a coach in August after he'd just won 13 straight. I don't even think the club believes in Ken. The decision makers were just too gutless to cop the heat for getting rid of him. So they decided that the coaches, club, players, and supporters can all go through the motions of two more wasted years rather than put their own jobs on the line by making a proactive decision. A stunning act of cowardice.

It's nuts. All of this kind of made sense throughout 2022 and the early part of 2023, he had a contract that we didn't want to payout, but then why did we give him another contract? As you say, aside from the contract itself, nothing else actually indicates that either Ken or the club genuinely believe that Ken is going to coach us to a premiership.

I genuinely think it was just Koch being too much a pussy to cop the inevitable media backlash for sacking a coach in August after he'd just won 13 straight. I don't even think the club believes in Ken. The decision makers were just too gutless to cop the heat for getting rid of him. So they decided that the coaches, club, players, and supporters can all go through the motions of two more wasted years rather than put their own jobs on the line by making a proactive decision. A stunning act of cowardice.
From memory we even had a bunch of assistants etc. coming out of contract so it was also a new senior coaches' golden opportunity to clean slate the joint.

******* hell.

Carr is probably actually doing the job. Hence two years for Ken as a figurehead while Carr coaches and saves face if it doesn't go well. Now if that is the case, we know neither he or Ken are wanted by supporters.
If Carr is coaching atm things don't look to dissimilar to Hinkley's coaching. Not sure if Carr just needs a better forwards coach, or he is also playing the same role as ken so he conforms to the cult of D Koch.

I want a fresh coach that doesn't know our system, Kingsley would have been perfect.

If Carr is coaching atm things don't look to dissimilar to Hinkley's coaching. Not sure if Carr just needs a better forwards coach, or he is also playing the same role as ken so he conforms to the cult of D Koch.

I want a fresh coach that doesn't know our system, Kingsley would have been perfect.
I would assume it's bottom10Ken's game plan, selections, injury mismanagement, non moves, loser mentality. Josh rolls the ground balls in the warm up.

Which is why the article posted by OneGreatClub yesterday about Friday night's win being a Hinkley masterstroke was so ludicrous. How much can a casual bench observer actually achieve?

By and large I think Ken is still in control of most things, sets the game-plan, rules selection etc.....though he does seem to have limited game-day responsibilities, and I do think there seems to be a handover of sorts going on atm. There's too much smoke with it not to be fire.

Much like Ken, and his visible lack of passion for the role now, I also find myself just going through the motions these days watching Port, I'm not invested anymore and not on a journey anymore. Once a new coach comes in, even a loss will be more entertaining for me, I'll be back on the journey, for good or bad.

However that's predicated on genuine change, I'm still ok with Carr taking the reigns and seeing what he actually has to offer, provided though that he gets the keys properly, gets to choose and bring in his own personnel, fitness staff, assistants etc. People above and below have to make way and allow a freshen up, new ideas, new strategies.

If the club thinks they can throw us white noise some crumbs and change head coach but keep the rest exactly the same they can get stuffed.

I keep hearing people in the media referring to Koch / Ken and the program as "successful".......what exactly is successful about 12 years with 0 gfs?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or he's suffering from CTE and is just clueless. A real possibility IMO given some of his Biden like pressers.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back