Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the most damning aspect of Hinkley’s continued failure over the last few years. When there’s no expectation we’re golden, but the moment that pressure gets cranked up even just a touch we flounder.

A team who has beaten the reigning premiers in Perth, the Crows in an away showdown and top of the table Geelong (who we’ve beaten only one other time since Dylan was born) should not be a game and percentage out of finals contention. It’s unforgivable.
Port's record v the Reigning Premier:
2019 (West Coast): WIN 95-53
2018 (Richmond): WIN 72-58
2017 (Bulldogs): WIN 96-79
2016 (Hawks): LOSS 79-91
2015 (Hawks): WIN 99-91 and WIN 108-86
2014 (Hawks): WIN 100-86

6-1 against the reigning premiers over the past few years of Ken's reign. The minute the expectation is off we play like millionaires; we are mentally weak.

6-1 against the reigning premiers over the past few years of Ken's reign. The minute the expectation is off we play like millionaires; we are mentally weak.

Can also add Sydney in 2013 to that list, which we won.

>>>He talks publically about how we're not the most skilled side out there. He talks about how tough and even the competition is all the time. He's not selling belief to these players. <<<

he basically talks too much...
his players are becoming the same

just a bunch of talkers - not do-ers.

someone should advise them to just shut the fckup & do more & talk less

In 2015 we beat the Hawks twice yet lost to Carlton* who went on to finish bottom that season.

The minute the expectation is on we go to water. As you say, we are mentally weak.

* I was at that game at the 'G and admittedly having Robbie knocked out by Gibbs and some diabolical umpiring howlers go against us didn't help but we should have been so far in front it shouldn't have mattered.

Everyone needs to lay off Janus. He would be hurting just as much as we are about this. No need to make it worse for him because he has a different point of view.

If there's something you need to know about strong-conviction people like Janus paf66, myself and a few others, which is that to them the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about. Criticism: water, ducks, back.

The world is full if echo chambers. Thank Rotting Chris that this isn't one too.

I look forward to a triumphant return and his telling us who asked him to not post for a while, and why

In 2015 we beat the Hawks twice yet lost to Carlton* who went on to finish bottom that season.

The minute the expectation is on we go to water. As you say, we are mentally weak.

* I was at that game at the 'G and admittedly having Robbie knocked out by Gibbs and some diabolical umpiring howlers go against us didn't help but we should have been so far in front it shouldn't have mattered.
As was I. The play was to use Krakour and Kane Williams. No leadership. Go figure

I wake up every morning with a glimmer of hope that the club as called a press conference for 11am. Maybe tomorrow.

I’ve gotta say, even though it was bitterly obvious Chocolate had long since run his race, listening to his post-match presser while sitting in Football Park gridlock was still compulsory.

Win or lose, Hinkley descended to “change the channel, Marge!” levels years ago.

You just need to listen hardery for longery.

I immediately thought of Ken telling Japser before a game that "as long as you keep defending hard, we'll put up with all the other stuff." Jasper looked pretty embarrassed.

Yeah the kid was a notorious turnover merchant, but why bring up his deficiencies before the game had begun?

Hinkley era in a nutshell: remind players of their weaknesses, and tell them you will tolerate them rather than committing to help them fix the problems.

"Tommy, I will tolerate you stupidly biffing blokes and missing games through suspension, as long as you throw that coin high and spin it real good."
"Ollie, just keep winning the hard ball and don't worry about your crap disposal. You've got plenty of teammates who are crap at kicking too."
"Dix, just grow your beard, keep the weight on, look tough and don't worry that you can't take a grab, because we don't really want dominant tall forwards anyway. The game's moved on since that Tredrea rubbish."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some ex Carlton player said that Mick Malthouse had a s**thouse relationship with his players. He knew how to knock them down but wasn’t capable of building them up again. That isn’t Ken at least.
eH?
Ask SPP, Chad, Impey, Pittard, Polec about that.

All of Ken's strategies are based around defence and, more specifically, stopping the opposition.

We've tagged Rance, we've tagged Laird, we've actually taken a delistee in the midseason draft for the specific role of tagging an opposition player.

He talks publically about how we're not the most skilled side out there. He talks about how tough and even the competition is all the time. He's not selling belief to these players.

They go out there and win when there's nothing to play for but when the pressure is on, they revert back to thinking that they're not good enough because it's been drilled into them. By the time we click into gear we've already been blown off the park and that translates into entire wasted seasons.

A good coach will make the players think they're unbeatable. He'll make them want to run through walls. The only evidence you need of Ken's motivational skills are our first quarters this year.

All defensive tags seemed to have backfired brilliantly, with the medal going to the tag on McGovern. Remember how that ended?

not sure ken has built any player 'up' at all since 2013 (without bringing them back down). darcy maybe? this years rookies?

Some very valid comparisons have been made re Jack Cahill's ability to make a player believe he is better than he is, ( a classic example being Adrian Settre in a gf ), and kern's inability to do it, backed up by his rubbish comments that we have a long way to go to be as good as team(s) X, who we kicked off the park in the not very distant past.

I would love to be as sure of winning lotto as I am that kern has LOST the playing group, and what we need now is the chief clown in this 5 year circus to get the f****** message, swallow his obviously ginormous ego, and do something about it before it is too late.

Some ex Carlton player said that Mick Malthouse had a s**thouse relationship with his players. He knew how to knock them down but wasn’t capable of building them up again. That isn’t Ken at least.
OGC, with respect, that is exactly Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back