Welcome Shane Kersten - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows vs Freo fwd lines;
Cameron/Bennell
Betts/Walters
Tex/McCarthy
Jenkins/Ape
Lynch/Kersten
McLovin/Yarran

Ballas and Tabs to squeeze in somewhere too. Still got some ways to go, but structurally looking ok. Now, how to get the damn ball outta d50!!!

Structurally it is going to massive for us IMO.You throw in the Fyfe at times who could be absolutely anything as a resting mid/CHF/hff.

Terry Wallace showing why he was a rubbish coach. Kersten got 17 games to try establish his spot as he had no competition in his position. He was poor and couldn't do it. Certainly wasn't best 22. Geelong were far more effective without him and that's why he wasn't playing.

He is an interesting player. Not big or strong enough to play tall or agile or fast enough to play small. Slightly above average at everything except kicking which is top shelf. However, you obviously need to get the ball in order to kick at goals. No real weaknesses but no absolute strengths in field play.

I hope he works out better than at Geelong. However, like North fans when we got Black, care factor is small in losing him. He has had his chance and it just didn't work. Good luck Shane.
LOL enjoy Aaron Black :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Barging into a thread about a favourite opposition player.

In Joel Hamling and Shane Kersten, Freo traded for Geelong's top 2 picks from the 2011 AFL Draft and Bradley Hill being Hawthorn's top draftee that year.

Cameron McCarthy could've been Freo's top pick from 2013.

Yes, but they were mid 30s picks and Hamling was a genuine out of nowhere punt.

I think Kersten will be a good pick up, we'll miss him at GFC.

I didn't know who Hamling was until that draft.

Likewise Darcy Lang from his draft.

If some may remember correctly Shane Kersten went to the 2010 AFL Draft Camp in the hope he'd be one of GWS' initial 17 year old's (i.e. one of the 12 players born in the Jan - Apr-1993 window.)

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect both will probably be playing in the WAFL in two years time. :thumbsu:

No doubt quite a few Freo fans will keep an eye on Black to see how he goes. He was in Kersten's shoes few years ago, was very close to deciding to play for us, but after contemplating the move, decided to stay put at Nth - and that was the end of that (until Wells threw him a life line of course). I still think a new environment and if he can stay injury free - he might come good, wouldn't want to bet too much on it though.

They're an interesting comparison. Kersten comes with a bit more upside where we sit now, but if you compare Black 2 years ago and Kersten now, there wouldn't be much between them and fans would probably have been happy with either of them (if you could time warp Black then to now if you know what I mean o_O), but right now, certainly around these parts, we'd take Kersten every day of the week.

Lets see if he goes the way of Black or the other way bed's down and becomes a solid starting 22 (or best 26 kind of thing which I think is best case, he's never going to be a star).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt quite a few Freo fans will keep an eye on Black to see how he goes. He was in Kirsten's shoes few years ago, was very close to deciding to play for us, but after contemplating the move, decided to stay put at Nth - and that was the end of that (until Wells threw him a life line of course). I still think a new environment and if he can stay injury free - he might come good, wouldn't want to bet too much on it though.

They're an interesting comparison. Kirsten comes with a bit more upside where we sit now, but if you compare Black 2 years ago and Kirsten now, there wouldn't be much between them and fans would probably have been happy with either of them (if you could time warp Black then to now if you know what I mean o_O), but right now, certainly around these parts, we'd take Kersten every day of the week.

Lets see if he goes the way of Black or the other way bed's down and becomes a solid starting 22 (or best 26 kind of thing which I think is best case, he's never going to be a star).

From memory Black was reasonably expensive and Freo baulked at the asking price and didn't end up being willing to stump up the coin and/or draft picks it would have taken to get the deal done. Next thing you know and Ben Brown and Waite are at North and both better players and he seemed to wither on the vine. As a result he seems to have gone sideways looking from the outside. I hope he makes a go of it now at his new club.

At least Kersten is young enough and is going to have a spot to contend for at Freo if he is up to it with no walk up starts apart from Cam Mac (perhaps)....interesting and exciting times to be a Freo fan.

From memory Black was reasonably expensive and Freo baulked at the asking price and didn't end up being willing to stump up the coin and/or draft picks it would have taken to get the deal done. Next thing you know and Ben Brown and Waite are at North and both better players and he seemed to wither on the vine. As a result he seems to have gone sideways looking from the outside. I hope he makes a go of it now at his new club.

At least Kersten is young enough and is going to have a spot to contend for at Freo if he is up to it with no walk up starts apart from Cam Mac (perhaps)....interesting and exciting times to be a Freo fan.

Can't be bothered going back and doing some research, but my recollection was that we were willing to give it a go, but it was Black himself that baulked and ended up deciding on the stay. If he made it clear he wanted to come to Freo, we were willing to pay the price. That's from Black (in an interview a couple of years ago) and I'm fairly sure some of our staff as well.

But for sure, Kersten might be similarly placed to Black a few years ago, but the value for money is way way better. Pick 63 at his age. It's a good trade.

Contact lenses are now in, and it's fixed. I think I've written his name with just about every vowel combination. I kept typing Kerstin at one point for some reason.

Black had a much much better season back then than Kersten did this year. North wanted our first pick and a player from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back