So what the hell was Goodwin doing?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever he was doing worked. This is the thing, any comments from Gil, Bartlett et al about wanting him gone prior to 2021 make them look like absolute deadshits. Roffey and Pert are heroes for backing him to the hilt and being rewarded with a drought breaking flag and topping the ladder halfway through the following season.
That's an entirely different discussion.

Back on topic... given the quotes from the AFL's two most senior leaders, think it's fair to ask what the hell Goodwin was doing?
As said earlier, I doubt there’s much in it. Maybe he got on the piss with the players, perhaps a little worse, who knows? But then hub life, marriage breakdown, extreme pressures on his job and all that could explain some of this alleged behaviour. I note that nothing has actually been reported by any other news organisation, accusing or alluding to any malfeasance by Goodwin. I also note that Goyder and McLachlan only alluded to gossip surrounding Goodwin from the quoted article. As I’ve said umpteen times, I suspect that if his behaviour was entirely inappropriate that Goodwin would’ve been sacked given how the side had been travelling.

The more extraordinary angle on the story is Bartlett’s epic dummy spit and why he’s tipping perhaps the biggest bucket of s**t any President has on their former club. Goodwin is a victim of Bartlett’s orchestrated media campaign.

FWIW I do have some connections inside Melbourne but have heard nothing about Goodwin’s alleged behaviour in the 20-21 offseason but plenty about the reasons the board moved against Bartlett in April 2021.

troll dancing GIF

I wonder if his marriage fell apart because he was the secret mastermind behind the Crows camp and his wife had a secret crush on Tex.
Man this story has more layers than the JFK assasination.
Was Simon, Jack Watts inspiration for Jack's likes?

As said earlier, I doubt there’s much in it. Maybe he got on the piss with the players, perhaps a little worse, who knows? But then hub life, marriage breakdown, extreme pressures on his job and all that could explain some of this alleged behaviour. I note that nothing has actually been reported by any other news organisation, accusing or alluding to any malfeasance by Goodwin. I also note that Goyder and McLachlan only alluded to gossip surrounding Goodwin from the quoted article. As I’ve said umpteen times, I suspect that if his behaviour was entirely inappropriate that Goodwin would’ve been sacked given how the side had been travelling.

The more extraordinary angle on the story is Bartlett’s epic dummy spit and why he’s tipping perhaps the biggest bucket of s**t any President has on their former club. Goodwin is a victim of Bartlett’s orchestrated media campaign.

FWIW I do have some connections inside Melbourne but have heard nothing about Goodwin’s alleged behaviour in the 20-21 offseason but plenty about the reasons the board moved against Bartlett in April 2021.
What have you heard about Bartlett?

We all know what happens if there is any dirt here. There’s a settlement and it gets swept under the carpet. But yes continue wondering what if anything Simon Goodwin has done.

I just want to ensure all Melbourne supporters in here that yes, the Dees did win the flag, yes, Goodwin did coach it, no, the flag isn't going anywhere and no, neither is Goodwin.

Glad we got that out of the way.

Back on topic... given the quotes from the AFL's two most senior leaders, think it's fair to ask what the hell Goodwin was doing?
I think if Warner or Pert have something to say they should get on with it and say it. Put up or shut up. This story has been dragging on for four months now with essentially the same article being rewritten 5 times over. Getting sick of all these vague quotes and meaningless allusions with absolutely no substance tbh.

Last edited:
Y'all are mere peasants in the business of scandal.

Please sit down before you hurt yourselves and leave things to the dons

Goodwin had a solid training base during his time at the Dons working closely with Dank et al. 👍

You guys certainly should be getting some of the credit in educating "Good stuff" Goodie.

Goodwin had a solid training base during his time at the Dons working closely with Dank et al. 👍

You guys certainly should be getting some of the credit in educating "Good stuff" Goodie.
That flag belongs to us imo.

You seemed adamant that his marriage broke down before his behaviour became erratic, and suggested it was a result of it.

I was curious as to why you think it wasn't vice versa?
Goodwin's marriage broke down during the 2020 hub. Hindsight, he was a little lucky that the Dees were rubbish during that time and not a reigning premier, or else the gutter footy media might've put him through the same muckraking circus that Damien Hardwick copped.

I mean, none of what you just wrote is true, but it’s a cool story.
Have you not been paying attention?

Literally everything I've said is true.

Any investigations found wrong doing? ANY evidence at all?

It was two disgruntled players who spoke to the media because they were looking to consolidate their future media careers. And subsequently haven't stood behind it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin's marriage broke down during the 2020 hub. Hindsight, he was a little lucky that the Dees were rubbish during that time and not a reigning premier, or else the gutter footy media might've put him through the same muckraking circus that Damien Hardwick copped.
Nathan Buckley's marriage fell apart at a similar time too. Not surprising that an incredibly time consuming job in an elite performance environment is not conductive to a perfect marriage. Especially at a time where these people were spending months away from their spouses.

Have you not been paying attention?

Literally everything I've said is true.

Any investigations found wrong doing? ANY evidence at all?

It was two disgruntled players who spoke to the media because they were looking to consolidate their future media careers. And subsequently haven't stood behind it.
Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe what you’ve written.

That isn’t what the investigation found, I suggest you get someone to read it to you.

Good gear can mean anything tho can't it? I have many interest and hobbies. Sometimes I call "good gear" a really nice monster tune I've dug up in at a record store, or maybe a very rare vintage hot wheels diecast vehicle I've sourced from my local St. Vincent De Paul op-shop or foraged from a pile of hard rubbish. Could be many things.

That these text messages refer to illicit substances is is pure conjecture on your part, libellous, and frankly insulting.
Thanks, Saul Goodman.

Delusional doesn’t even begin to describe what you’ve written.

That isn’t what the investigation found, I suggest you get someone to read it to you.
Which investigation?

The AFL investigation? Or the WorkCover investigation?

I know Victorians don't listen that much to anything that comes from other states, but the fact that nothing from the Age articles have been proven to be true should have managed to cross the border.

What have you heard about Bartlett?
He is a litigious type, so I will tread lightly and say that these are some allegations that I have heard:

1. His behaviour was sexist which made a lot of female staff uncomfortable

2. He was undermining the senior coach and CEO

3. He was not consulting enough with his board and was condescending to others who raised concerns about his management style

4. People thought that the proposed ‘hair testing’ was batshit crazy

5. He was running big interference on the election for a vacant seat on the board.

I repeat, the above are allegations and possibly untrue. In my opinion all of this is a great shame as he along with Peter Jackson and Paul Roos took a club that was completely on the scrap heap and got us to a point where we could contend. He lasted the longest of that triumvirate and deserves recognition for what he achieved in his time as chair. However, it sounds as though he couldn’t get out of his own way and this dummy spit is trashing his own legacy and making things harder for the club he helped rebuild.

He's on record saying "good stuff", which is vernacular for lots of things.
I found a copy of Splatter University on VHS in a dumpster. Sold it online for over $100. That's "good stuff" right there.

Either is Richmond football players punching on outside of a strip joint. Who cares.

What was he caught with? Where are these records?
I think you're making this all up which is really sad.

knock yourself out Toumpy...

"Good stuff" and "Good gear"...c'mon Goody please make up your mind.

Experienced user of PED's leading a team that recently wins a GF. Good you good thing!

Experienced user of PED's leading a team that recently wins a GF. Good you good thing!

Sorry, what was Goodwin charged/sanctioned with by ASADA/WADA?

You said he was caught with PEDs? Nothing in that link says he was caught with anything.

I've heard it's just a verbal tick he has to put 'good' in front of most words, he started doing it when he got a big laugh from the boys when he said 'GoodWIN boys, goodWin' after a game and found he was forever searching for that same response again.

Last edited:
You're right...nothing to see here. Goodwin asking Dank to supply him with "the good stuff" and telling him he wants the "good gear" is referring to afternoon snack supplies.
What point are you trying to make? Even if Goodwin got some roids from Dank 10 years ago who cares?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back