Autopsy Sydney defeats Geelong by 38 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Listening to Andrew Mackie on the radio right now . . . these commentators, and the media, they are so out of touch with things.
One of the questions asked to Mackie when he said the players had a meeting after last nights game;

"Andrew, do you think there are similarities in the circumstances you had player meetings early on in 2007 when results were not matching the teams potential"

The media is living in gaga land. Honestly, how anyone in the media can ask that question. That 2007 team was the best of all time (arguably top three) with an average age profile of 24½ years! Not one player was 30 yrs or over. There are no similarities to the team today. Only position that is similar is possibly the ruck department but that's about all.
Extraordinary just how out of touch some in the media and our own supporter are.
Did the players call an impromptu meeting or is this the norm? Interesting if they've done this off the cuff, even more interesting will be the response

I don't think we were soft, Sydney were just harder. Our hand and foot skills under pressure went to water.
I would drop McCarthy, Lang, Kolo and Blicavs and bring in Stanley, Gregson and whoever else plays well today.
Guthrie's form has really dropped off in the last month. He was terrible last night.

before the game scott said it would be hard to mark last night, and we continuously punched the ball when we could mark
swans just market the ball

seems like the coach got into the heads of some

ps - the mitch clark trade has been awesome

How many goals has he kicked this year? How many 30 possession games has he had?

Champion data is not the be all measurement. You've got to get that thought into your head.

He's definitely gone backwards this year.

Champion Data asses the game far more closely than I do. I don't have the time to judge every kick based on its difficulty level. Evidently they do. I am not going to pretend my viewing of the game more accurately rates players than their assessment does.

Duncan is not a forward. He rarely ventures into the forward 50. Therefore I personally would not consider goals kicked to be an accurate measurement of his effectiveness. Scott Pendlebury has never averaged a goal a game in his career yet I would consider him to be among the most effective midfielders of recent years. Perhaps you do not.

Rather than look at goals kicked I prefer to look at measure of ball usage and score involvements. Duncan is among the top midfielders in the AFL this year for both. He has 7 score involvements a game. That is a similar level to Selwood, Parker, Jack, Hannebery, Bont and Ward.

Staistically, he is having a solid to good season as an outside midfielder. His disposals and tackle numbers are both high than last year and his is playing far more consistently.

People love to focus on his 38 disposal game against the Pies as if that was the standard he had set all year last year. It was true he had played 3 very good games before his injury but he also had 12 disposals in the loss to Freo, 13 in the loss to Hawthorn and 16 in the loss to North. None of his performances this year have been close to as poor as his early season form this year. He hadn't been worse than last year he has just played at a much more consistent level.

Thinking we need to see the team perform better under sustained, pressure football.
So need to see:
everyone working on their tackling and disposal, especially under pressure and tackling not only stronger but technique-pin the arms(Swans got so many handballs/throws off)
everyone stepping up and taking responsibility (surely in the last quarter I saw a Swan player surrounded by 4 of our guys, and he either got the handball off, or even escaped himself-everyone was waiting for someone else to lay the tackle-don't think Motlop was one of them!)
everyone being harder the the contest and hit the other team hard, physically and legally, more 2nd and 3rd efforts
team needs to be more proactive, not reactive-our best footy we come out swinging and set the agenda.
no waiting for the ball to bounce over our head, no waiting for a teammate to do the work, no waiting for Paddy or Joel to get the ball
Guthrie and Blix to play in the positions they are good at and enjoy.
Hendo and Taylor have to be able to get out-needs to be addressed
Have to continue with Clark and Cockatoo-they will be fine-Clark to also crash packs in the forward zone, and while at that can we make sure 3rd gamers know they are in a game as opposed to making it easy for them.
Get S Selwood, Menegola and Caddy, GHS? in asap-need hard workers in the middle to help our stars get a fraction more time and so are able use the ball more effectively/ and need someone to tag if needs be
Motlop in the pocket with one instruction-do not, under any circumstance, let the ball get out of our 50?
Keep it simple in high pressure games-see ball, get ball, kick ball, move it forward at all costs
Blighty all over the thread straightway after a win, like he is after a loss!
No more crossing the east/west line and giving away 50's. lol umps.
All doable -cheer up people, just a game of footy, we'll be ok.;)

Last edited:
Champion Data asses the game far more closely than I do. I don't have the time to judge every kick based on its difficulty level. Evidently they do. I am not going to pretend my viewing of the game more accurately rates players than their assessment does.

Duncan is not a forward. He rarely ventures into the forward 50. Therefore I personally would not consider goals kicked to be an accurate measurement of his effectiveness. Scott Pendlebury has never averaged a goal a game in his career yet I would consider him to be among the most effective midfielders of recent years. Perhaps you do not.

Rather than look at goals kicked I prefer to look at measure of ball usage and score involvements. Duncan is among the top midfielders in the AFL this year for both. He has 7 score involvements a game. That is a similar level to Selwood, Parker, Jack, Hannebery, Bont and Ward.

Staistically, he is having a solid to good season as an outside midfielder. His disposals and tackle numbers are both high than last year and his is playing far more consistently.

People love to focus on his 38 disposal game against the Pies as if that was the standard he had set all year last year. It was true he had played 3 very good games before his injury but he also had 12 disposals in the loss to Freo, 13 in the loss to Hawthorn and 16 in the loss to North. None of his performances this year have been close to as poor as his early season form this year. He hadn't been worse than last year he has just played at a much more consistent level.

You don't say.

Of course champion data assess the game more than all of us, BUT, when even the player HIMSELF says he's underperforming, I think HE knows better than all of us. Champion data included.

The team also feels that is needs a McCarthy development coach get rid of one curly haired vfl development coach
players like lang, cowan, smedts just have not improved

For us to be a chance this year scooter, caddy, kersten, and smedts need to come in and play at their best

this means that ruggles, lang, Murdoch, and kolo don't get a game
but our starting list is immensely better

cockatoo will get better and him and motlop down forward in form are a dangerous duo
menzel and kersten can kick 2-3 and allow space for Hawkins

but our mid rotations have options and depth

I cannot be sure but from my opinion, sounded like it was impromptu or off the cuff as you say.
Hopefully a season defining/turning meeting. For all of the junk performances we have put up over the last 7 weeks we are still 10-5. If we turn our form around top 4?is well within reach

You don't say.

Of course champion data assess the game more than all of us, BUT, when even the player HIMSELF says he's underperforming, I think HE knows better than all of us. Champion data included.

Players give the responses they are supposed to give.

Duncan is not an elite footballer. I don't think he he ever will be but I imagine both he and the club would like him to be one. Until he is, I think he will always be somewhat disappointed with his output.

But you claimed he has definitely gone backwards and I don't think that is supported when comparing his output this season to last season

Players give the responses they are supposed to give.

Duncan is not an elite footballer. I don't think he he ever will be but I imagine both he and the club would like him to be one. Until he is, I think he will always be somewhat disappointed with his output.

But you claimed he has definitely gone backwards and I don't think that is supported when comparing his output this season to last season

Yeah mate, you're right

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm glad the players had an honesty meeting after the game.
Scott doesn't like to talk to them in case he accidentally yells at them.

Me too. Only other times I can remember players having a meeting were near the end of 1993 after we got pumped by St.Kilda, and responded by smashing teams, including 3 teams who were on the ladder when we played them, and after the North game in 2007 when we proceeded to win the next 15 games on end en route to a premiership.

Here's hoping this meeting triggers a similar response.

Except we had the right attitude 3 weeks ago. We played fantastic football against the Doggies.
Maybe Swans just a cut above us after all?
The Doggies had significant injuries when playing us yet still had pretty much the same amount of scoring shots.

giphy.gif
Yawn....
Back to your basement you go.

I cannot be sure but from my opinion, sounded like it was impromptu or off the cuff as you say.
these things only work if there's complete honesty, and some character amongst the individuals. I'm not sure we can fix some of these blokes with an honesty meeting

In the cold light of day, with a decent hangover, there's not a lot we can take away from that game at all.

The one thing I will say; there's a lot on this thread saying that Player A has gone backwards and Player B is no good.

To me the entire team looks down on form and inspiration.

Motlop's the main one in the gun - and rightly so as he has been awful for a few weeks now - but earlier in the year he produced 2 or 3 cracking games. He's nowhere near it at the moment, but I would be surprised and disappointed if he *never* regained touch.

Guthrie's position in the midfield is being questioned; and maybe we would be better served with him down back - but earlier in the year he was playing career-best football against quality teams. Not that long ago some of us were talking AA form (Matthew Lloyd had an eye on him too at one stage fwiw, so it's not just gerbil-faced optimistic Geelong supporters who thought he was in good touch).

Blicavs' role as a midfielder is being challenged, but he was rock solid earlier in the year. I know I gave him votes in multiple games on the MVP threads for typically diligent performances. He can look awkward and indecisive; when the team is playing well he can often buy himself a second and weigh up his options; last night and against the Saints those options never presented themselves.

So for mine; it's not that these players have 'gone backwards' in 2016; they were instrumental in us going on a run that saw us atop the ladder at one point.

But when they - and the rest of the team - are below their best, they look 2nd rate, that I agree with.

We're stuck with the list that we've got for the rest of this year; no use in writing off half the team, we just don't have that many replacements.

Scott Selwood can theoretically come back in around 3 weeks and provide something; Sam Menegola is building, and we know what Kersten and Stanley can provide. Horlin-Smith can hopefully press his case yet again.

But if that's just re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic, then we've got to work out how to avoid the Iceberg of bad form and diminished confidence ..

Chris Scott and co have their work cut out for them because we are a pale reflection of the side that knocked off Hawthorn, North, Footscray and GWS at the moment.
And there are no guarantees that the team can re-capture that early-season form.
What a reasoned and well presented analysis of the situation.:thumbsu:

Get S Selwood, Menegola and Caddy in asap-need hard workers in the middle to help our stars get a fraction more time and so are able use the ball more effectively/ and need someone to tag if needs be
Motlop in the pocket with one instruction-do not, under any circumstance, let the ball get out of our 50?
Keep it simple in high pressure games-see ball, get ball, kick ball, move it forward at all costs
Blighty all over the thread straightway after a win, like he is after a loss!
No more crossing the east/west line and giving away 50's. lol umps.
All doable -cheer up people, just a game of footy, we'll be ok.;)
Yeah one of the good things after a win is you don't see him till Thursday's doomsday prediction for the next game.

I don't think anyone is saying they're our saviours but they are 2 players who can play a role in an area in which we have an obvious weakness and we need to see what and if they can produce.
i hope the future is bright the future is blue and white terry

and it happened all night
too many times this year we dont get those momentum frees which are there, but a weird free is paid against us

in hawk games they get frees pulled out of nowhere

but the bookies are loving the season,

I can understand it if the umpires make a mistake that the replay shows is wrong. Like the dodgy Cockatoo mark that was paid. But some of our tackles have been textbook HTB and not paid. And not just in this game. Mitch Duncan chased someone down the line against St Kilda. The umpire must have been the only person watching who didn't think it was HTB. Some of the DOOB have been very suspect also. Enright's against St Kilda where he had a bloke on his hammer. And Blicavs this week.

Should we really expect fair umpiring? The draw is rigged. The draft is rigged. The salary cap is rigged. The AFL is concerned with $$$, public relations and social causes rather than running a fair sporting competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back