Opinion The Apprenticeship is over. Your Job starts now Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

It's hard to make it any year. First step to making the finals is installing belief. IMO there are no more excuses, this football department has had enough prep. It's time.....
Just wondering, if we were to miss the eight in 2013, and make the GF in 2014 & 2015, is 2013 a failure?

Fact is, any year you do not perform to expectation, there will be specific reasons.
Some examples...
1) Unreasonable expectations. IMO, all things considered, expecting to make the finals in 2013 is reasonable.
2) Players didn't perform to ability
3) Fitness staff failed to do their jobs
4) List management failed to recruit suitable depth players.
5) Coach(es) not up to it
etc.

Our injuries would have to be really, really bad for that to be an excuse this year. Fact is that we have executed a plan and recruited in an attempt to take that factor away.

Some may say, regardless of what happens, the buck stops with the coach. I think that was typical of 10-20 and more years ago. These days, I think clubs are a bit more sensible and reasonable the way they look at things, maybe even our club.

if it doesn't unfold i will lose 150, but if it does then partey time...I deem us a top value bet. Looking at the form guide from last season and bearing in mind the immaturity of the list and the depth issue, in terms of games we lost and the whys, had we won games we were supposed to and nabbed a couple of other close ones, we would have nudged top 4 last season, so taking in improvement, more experience etc...I think we are a top bet on both counts. The only thing that will derail my bets are a completely ridiculous run with injury.
The list is primed and its time has come!! I can see this team spending a good amount of next season in and around the top 4 and go out on a limb and suggest it will be one of the form teams of the comp from early on.

We were basically 4 games out of the 8 at the end of the year, 6 games from 4th place. I love your optimism. Hope your right.

Those predicting a Freo drop in earlier posts couldnt be more wrong in my opinion. They were scarily good in the last half of the year when Ross had them starting to gel. I Expect big things

If the mullet or Jack go down early, we are up against it.
Then recruiting Stephenson and A.Edwards was a waste of time. I don't think our footy dept see it that way at all. At this stage in our development, I think they truly believe that we have a squad, and in particular, a "team" that will be top eight this year, regardless. You don't recruit players of that age bracket to remain competitive outside of the eight if your stars go down.

Having said that, if we don't make the eight, it doesn't automatically become the coach's fault IMO.

Believe it or not, but we could make the eight this year, and still underachieve in the club's eyes.

As long as we don't emulate North's path where they had the p!ss easy draw, unexpectedely won a few matches they weren't really supposed to, sneak into the eight, then get pulverized to the point of no return in the first week of the major round at Subi!

As long as we don't emulate North's path where they had the p!ss easy draw, unexpectedely won a few matches they weren't really supposed to, sneak into the eight, then get pulverized to the point of no return in the first week of the major round at Subi!
yea cant see that happening with us. over the season we were competitive in every game I expect we'd be the same in a final. hope north don't come close to finals.

We were basically 4 games out of the 8 at the end of the year, 6 games from 4th place. I love your optimism. Hope your right.

Those predicting a Freo drop in earlier posts couldnt be more wrong in my opinion. They were scarily good in the last half of the year when Ross had them starting to gel. I Expect big things

I for one think we have their measure. i.e. at full strength and both on the job, we will prevail, purely on the premise that their whole winning formula is based the same way as Sydney's i.e. Pavlic and Goodes are totally vital to them both. We are not that one dimensional in terms of what we need for a winning formula.

I'll start by putting it out there, I buy EVERYTHING Dimma has sold the last 3 years. He's a great bloke and just might have the makings of a great coach. But this season is make or break.

This year expectations are high for the first time in his coaching tenure, and so they should be. He boasts one of the best midfields in the comp, led by one of the best players in the comp (cotch), a coleman medalist, a top notch ruckman, great off field support and an administration that is stable, cashed up and has left no stone unturned to develop the team/club.

I hope for and expect a great year from the tiges, including making the finals and making some noise when we get there. I don't think this is beyond this teams capabilities at all. If Dimma is not the coach to get us there I'm sure the administration will figure out who is, and they won't (and shouldn't) hesitate to pull the trigger. That's the business.

At the end of the day the negatives surrounding Dimma stem from his supposed "brain fades" in the tight games, but in all seriousness you need the cattle on the field to be able to formulate a plan. Now how do you do that?, when the likes, and this isnt a complete bagging, but how do you formulate a winning plan when you have had to include players in the line up you know are a hit or miss proposition?
If we take stock of what unfolded last year, the team included McGuane, Post, Derrickx and Miller and to a lesser extent an out and out newbie in O'hanlon. Now that is 5 players of the 22. To many to be able to mix it in the big time. This has been addressed and for whatever anyone says, Azza Edwards with all his off field faults, as a forward is absolute ******* light years ahead of McGuane, Post, Derrickx or Miller , and Knights at this stage, is light years ahead of O'hanlon...so for me, I am over pissing around suggesting fairy footsteps because we have an inferiority complex at what the media etc will say if we * up. We wont and we will turn this ******* comp on its ******* head this year...

Then recruiting Stephenson and A.Edwards was a waste of time. I don't think our footy dept see it that way at all. At this stage in our development, I think they truly believe that we have a squad, and in particular, a "team" that will be top eight this year, regardless. You don't recruit players of that age bracket to remain competitive outside of the eight if your stars go down.

Having said that, if we don't make the eight, it doesn't automatically become the coach's fault IMO.

Believe it or not, but we could make the eight this year, and still underachieve in the club's eyes.

Both Stephenson and Edwards will play those roles if Jack or Maric go down but you just dont replace 70 odd goals or a dominant No1 ruck that easily. They will allow us to keep the same structure perhaps but we would certainly lose potency.

I agree with your thoughts re the clubs expectations. I would be disapointed if they were not setting the bar high.

His CV reads: Deemed Aaron Fiora a required player. Do we need to go any further? ;)

And Hardwick's CV reads 'Deemed Mitch Farmer a required player'.

The fact is we have to make finals this year (OK, injury disaster is an acceptable excuse). But if most of Essendon, Carlton, Brisbane and St Kilda all pass us, and we don't make any ground up on the Top 8, this coaching regime has failed. It's not enough to improve. It's not enough to make the right noises. It IS a competition. We have to improve more than our opponents. They are all improving. If we are not improving fast enough, this coaching/recruiting regime is a failure.

I think we will make finals. I reckon we are good enough to challenge for Top 4. That's a big prediction, and I might be wrong. But if we don't make finals again, sorry, we need to change some things, because the last 4 years hasn't worked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is we have to make finals this year (OK, injury disaster is an acceptable excuse). But if most of Essendon, Carlton, Brisbane and St Kilda all pass us, and we don't make any ground up on the Top 8, this coaching regime has failed. It's not enough to improve. It's not enough to make the right noises. It IS a competition. We have to improve more than our opponents. They are all improving. If we are not improving fast enough, this coaching/recruiting regime is a failure.

I think we will make finals. I reckon we are good enough to challenge for Top 4. That's a big prediction, and I might be wrong. But if we don't make finals again, sorry, we need to change some things, because the last 4 years hasn't worked.

Saints, Bombers, Carlton and North all finished infront of us. We need to pass them and I think we can.
12th to 4th this year would be a huge leap.

Both Stephenson and Edwards will play those roles if Jack or Maric go down but you just dont replace 70 odd goals or a dominant No1 ruck that easily. They will allow us to keep the same structure perhaps but we would certainly lose potency.

I agree with your thoughts re the clubs expectations. I would be disapointed if they were not setting the bar high.

Edwards will play whether Jack is there or not. ;)

Needs to be more flexible and proactive. Although he also needs to be reactive when situation calls for it. Like abandoning his precious zones and go 1-on-1 when it's required. Also needs to learn how to select and use the sub properly and know -barring injury or Webberlys- who to sub off in accordance with the structure and/or state of the game.

Not suggesting he will or should but to all those saying sacking Hardwick if he fails to deliver would "typical Richmond! eat our own! etc" - bear in mind that if were to get the arse at the end of this year he would be our first coach since 1999 not to last until the final year of his contract, so if anything, we've been a bit too lenient on our coaches so far this century.

they wont get within cooee of us..

How many A graders did the swans have?? LRT was held in the same regard as Mcguane a few years ago now he is a premiership player unlucky not to win a Norm smith.

There comes a point in time when you have to start using what you have at your desposal rather than wishing for your dream side. Was Leigh Brown a superstar when he moved the the pies as a delisted player?

My point is 4 off seasons is plenty of time to get a side up and about. Or do we just dream about turning over the list for another 32 years? Its time......

You ask me how many A graders did the swans have ?? Not every team is the swans and alot try to emulate what they have atm but cant, there seems to be something about their club & culture that drives them to perform at a much higher level than other clubs with the players at hand - e.g Shaw,Morton,Richards,kennedy,Mattner etc etc
WE ARE NO SYDNEY !!

But lets have a look at the premierships before that with the Geelong,Hawthorn,west coast & Collingwood there are certainly enough stars in these teams.

What you have seem to have missed in my post & probably the most important part is that our team is still way too young to be effective in finals, We are 2-3 years away from where we can confidently state that we are a genuine chance at winning a premiership.

Im also going to ingore your comment about Luke McGuane - He is not anAFL level footballer and is 1 of the luckiest people to be involved in football as he came to richmond and was able to get a reasonable career out of it any other team he would of been gone long ago.

If Dimma stuffs up in terms of game day coaching etc and that coincides with us missing a berth in the 8 it will be obvious and whatever anyone says he will be toast. I am confident he wont though, now that he has the cattle.

I like the idea of that also. Will spread the defence and ease the load on Vickery.

tipping JR will be given the space at CHF to create and Azzzzzaaaa!! will play from the goal square to take on the gorrilla tamers and Vickery, well, lets hope we dont have to dip into the excuse bucket again with him. Although now that we have Azzzzaaaa!!! Vickery producing JS is somewhat covered and if Vickery turns it around and kicks some butt then there wont be a defence that can match up to our FL.

If Dimma stuffs up in terms of game day coaching etc and that coincides with us missing a berth in the 8 it will be obvious and whatever anyone says he will be toast. I am confident he wont though, now that he has the cattle.

And the experience of Williams in the box next to him. I think most have underestimated the massive effect this will have on game day coaching and tactics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back