Opinion The Apprenticeship is over. Your Job starts now Dimma

Remove this Banner Ad

We were basically 4 games out of the 8 at the end of the year, 6 games from 4th place. I love your optimism. Hope your right.

Those predicting a Freo drop in earlier posts couldnt be more wrong in my opinion. They were scarily good in the last half of the year when Ross had them starting to gel. I Expect big things

now factor in the games we lost...i.e we lost not the opposition won and then factor in the opening stretch we had to endure and my optimism is warranted. Safe to say, we were in winning positions in all but 4 of our games during the year and we stuffed them up, not because of opposition pressure, purely because of our inexperience in nailing the coffin shut...thats why I am backing a top of the ladder finish and a top 4 finish. Even the Freo losses were basically due to our inexperience and the loss at the G was plain ******* stupid for us, ontop of one of the arsiest days i have seen in a long time for a player, Pavlic, with his 6..we had them and his 6 wouldnt have mattered had we nailed the *ers..

If we lose a close game in the last 3 minutes next year like wr did last season and it costs a finals spot AGAIN would that be acceptable ? The fact we didn't know how to ice the clock is the coaches fault.

I for one think we have their measure. i.e. at full strength and both on the job, we will prevail, purely on the premise that their whole winning formula is based the same way as Sydney's i.e. Pavlic and Goodes are totally vital to them both. We are not that one dimensional in terms of what we need for a winning formula.
Ross Lyon has our measure.
This is one bloke I want to tick off the list in 2013.
He loves beating us.

Personally I think we're still only halfway through our list build. We still have so many unproven players it's not funny.

I disagree to an extent. Our BL is proven, no? Our midfield/ruck is proven no? Our FL is proven no? so where do you get your unproven players from? Man we had a trillion inside 50s last year and more often than not we frittered away our ascendency purely on the back of inaccurate kicking. THe number stack up for us all over the field and the only number that didnt stack up for us were the accuracy numbers..be it in killing a game before the big break, be it when we were putting the heat on when it was an arm wrestle, we kick straighter it will equate to 6 more wins, i am adamant of that. Now we can all go gaga suggesting our innacuracy was due to our non direct play and htting flanks...enter Vickery & Azzzzzzzzzzzaaaa!! in particular to straighten us up. JR couldnt do it on his own last year and we still had enough of a feed into the FL and shots for goal to win matches, had we kicked straight.
I dont profess to the idea that bad kicking is bad footy, well in our case, it was that bad in so many matches, i put it down to just one of those ******* years that nothing was happening for us..kicks bouncing left instead of going straight ahead, snaps just missing, you name it we had it. It will turn and that will be the huge difference to where we sit on the ladder.

Ross Lyon has our measure.
This is one bloke I want to tick off the list in 2013.
He loves beating us.

OH FFS, he has BS. He pulled every trick in the book against us at the G and we gave him the win and he had an arsey Pavlic to thank, it had nothing to do with his game plan, it all to do with us not burying the *er.

now factor in the games we lost...i.e we lost not the opposition won and then factor in the opening stretch we had to endure and my optimism is warranted. Safe to say, we were in winning positions in all but 4 of our games during the year and we stuffed them up, not because of opposition pressure, purely because of our inexperience in nailing the coffin shut...thats why I am backing a top of the ladder finish and a top 4 finish. Even the Freo losses were basically due to our inexperience and the loss at the G was plain ******* stupid for us, ontop of one of the arsiest days i have seen in a long time for a player, Pavlic, with his 6..we had them and his 6 wouldnt have mattered had we nailed the gooses..
Every side on the fringe has their own "what ifs". The saints were stiff in a few as well. North dropped a few they wouldn't be happy with. At the end of the day we lost to GC and Port and just beat GWS. We weren't ready. Its a work in progress.

Bomber had some runs on the board by proving he can get the side into the finals. Dimma is going into year 4 with no points on the board.

He wasn't coming from as far back. We are almost like on of the expansion clubs except we have had to use picks equivalent to 15 spots further back than they should be.

So yeah he made finals, he then took the team backwards. Is it worse to keep improving even if we miss finals? Or would you rather a repeat of 2001?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wasn't coming from as far back. We are almost like on of the expansion clubs except we have had to use picks equivalent to 15 spots further back than they should be.

So yeah he made finals, he then took the team backwards. Is it worse to keep improving even if we miss finals? Or would you rather a repeat of 2001?

How many early draft picks did bomber have? We have the cattle....

Every side on the fringe has their own "what ifs". The saints were stiff in a few as well. North dropped a few they wouldn't be happy with. At the end of the day we lost to GC and Port and just beat GWS. We weren't ready. Its a work in progress.

all i know is that in the majority of our games last year we had the hammer in the hand and ready to nail the coffin shut and in the games we let slip, when we went to swing the hammer we hit our thumb...Dimma fixes that we will kick serious butt..and that with the run we had when we had to include players who people in far away universes knew their limitations.
It might not seem to big to most, but the inclusions to the list and more importantly the exclusions from the list will have a serious upward impact on our fortunes this year IMO

anything involving Spud needs to be burnt as a comparison. The 2001 line up was treading water like the Roos have been for the last few years. You cannot go in to finals with 1 real deal match winning KPF and hope he has a blinder. The cream will crucify you every time.

I disagree to an extent. Our BL is proven, no? Our midfield/ruck is proven no? Our FL is proven no? so where do you get your unproven players from?

ok so probably not half our list then, that comment was poorly thought through, but each of those positions seems to lack that one extra bit of talent to help stitch it all together. hopefully our recent pickups sort that out.

don't get me wrong, i loved our effort in 2012, while not trying to be deluded about where we are - at the same time :)

tipping JR will be given the space at CHF to create and Azzzzzaaaa!! will play from the goal square to take on the gorrilla tamers and Vickery, well, lets hope we dont have to dip into the excuse bucket again with him. Although now that we have Azzzzaaaa!!! Vickery producing JS is somewhat covered and if Vickery turns it around and kicks some butt then there wont be a defence that can match up to our FL.

What on earth do you mean "excuse bucket"? He played less than half a season with injury and had to go into surgery way early despite our desperate need for him - and it's not like Dimma has a history of sending them away early. To me an excuse is what you make for an under performer, not a legitimate reason for a poor season. FFS, look what he produced in only his third season as a tall ruck / forward. Vickers will be fine.

What on earth do you mean "excuse bucket"? He played less than half a season with injury and had to go into surgery way early despite our desperate need for him - and it's not like Dimma has a history of sending them away early. To me an excuse is what you make for an under performer, not a legitimate reason for a poor season. FFS, look what he produced in only his third season as a tall ruck / forward. Vickers will be fine.

Dont give a * what he produced in his third season, all i know is he has to produce in his 5th season. What is this BS tall ruck/forward. On what has been shown so far, we might as well have Griggs rucking..tall ruck/forward my arse. He is a tall dude in a FL who sometimes finds himself in a mismatch and takes the mark..as for rucking he is s**t, the end. What ******* games were you watching to suggest the word, ruck when talking Vickery? ;)

Just to keep things in perspective, as much as I want finals next year, every other team will also be improving next year so you can assume just because we were close/completive in 2012 it will directly translate to all teams. Some teams with be significantly worst or better next year.

Plus, to get into the 8 next year there is massive log jam of about 6-8 teams... so we need to easily 13 wins to be sure. AND, the draw is remarkably kind to sh!t teams and hard for good teams, thereby a massive middle ground next year.

????? where have you been for the last 32 years???? history shows this happens at our club..... I'm just making the point that those same knive will be out and about if we have a poor season....
and where did it get us ??? .....NO WHERE ..... so why keep doing it ?????????

Remove this Banner Ad

Back