Bulldogs v Crows 1998
Essendon v Carlton 1999
Collingwood v Port 2003
Geelong v Pies 2007
Saints v Bulldogs 2009
Freo v Sydney 2013
Hawks v Port 2014
GWS v Bulldogs 2016
Some of the ones I have enjoyed and have good memories of..

It's honestly my favourite week of the season. Everything on the line and you're more likely than not to get a belter that goes very close to being a classic.

Carlton v Essendon 99, Cats v Pies 07, Hawks v Cats 13, Dogs v Giants 16.

Bring on the weekend.
Yep and usually the preliminary has better atmosphere than the GF due to it being more fans than corporates.

I thought last year GWS Dogs was brilliant however for sheer drama 1999 is hard to top

I'm biased obviously, but I rate being at the 2013 Hawks v Cats prelim in the top 3 moments of my life. Higher than any of the 3peat flags. Having been to every single one of the Curse games and ending up deflated, it was an incredible experience. Even more so leaving the ground and all the exits crowded with Hawks fans singing the song, hugging absolute strangers outside the ground - epic.

When Duncan(?) kicked that goal after the incorrect out of bounds decision at the back end of the 3rd I thought we were cooked. Even now watching it gives me goosebumps.

I'm biased obviously, but I rate being at the 2013 Hawks v Cats prelim in the top 3 moments of my life. Higher than any of the 3peat flags. Having been to every single one of the Curse games and ending up deflated, it was an incredible experience. Even more so leaving the ground and all the exits crowded with Hawks fans singing the song, hugging absolute strangers outside the ground - epic.

When Duncan(?) kicked that goal after the incorrect out of bounds decision at the back end of the 3rd I thought we were cooked. Even now watching it gives me goosebumps.
Might have been Murdoch

2001, Ess v Haw, horrible umpiring early that put the Hawks at a disadvatage, Hawks clawed back and had a chance to steal the lead but Trent Crowd hit the post about 60m out, still an entertaining clash on a Saturday afternoon, shown Live into Melbourne on Ch7 as it was a sellout
I was there for that game, great atmosphere with close to 90000 with two old rivals going at it. The umpiring probably played a part but at the end of the day, momentum was lost when Crowd missed the set shot. Would loved a win but wouldn't have been a decent competitor for Brisbane in the grannie anyway.

The best ones in the last 20 years.

1997 Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide
1999 Essendon vs Carlton
2007 Geelong vs Collingwood
2016 GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs

west coast vs adelaide 2006.

i will never forget the final siren and the reaction my mates and I had after that game.

theres a particular period in the 2qtr where you the adelaide players ruthlessly attacking the wce midfield with tackle after tackle.

and then cousins, kerr and judd rise to the occasion. judd prances away and does a side step and bounce before kicking the ball. i think when biglands then done his knee it was over for the crows and we charged home.

11 years later id like to say to those three to go * themselves for not sticking together after 2006 for a variety of reasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We obviously lost but Cats/Pies '07 is still my favourite all time game of footy. The build up was similar to a GF and the game did not disappoint. Can't forget how close we got despite our having Guy Richards and Chris Bryan in the lineup.

1996 (Sydney 70-69 Essendon) = Plugger wins the game after the siren with a behind.
1997 (Western Bulldogs 91-93 Adelaide) = Adelaide comes back from the dead and breaks the Bulldogs hearts.
1999 (Essendon 103-104 Carlton) = An all-time classic on State Election day. Kouta plays a blinder and Carlton upset heavy favourites Essendon.
2001 (Essendon 76-67 Hawthorn) = Underrated game, but Hawthorn gave Essendon a massive fright.
2002 (Collingwood 91-63 Adelaide) = I'm biased, but the atmosphere of this game was electric.
2004 (Port Adelaide 94-88 St.Kilda) = Gehrig kicks 100, Wanganeen plays a brilliant game to get his team over the line.
2006 (Adelaide 75-85 West Coast) = A win for the ages for the Eagles.
2007 (Geelong 92-87 Collingwood) = More people attended this game than the Grand Final itself. This felt like the "Grand Final" after the anti-climax of the actual Grand Final.
2009 (St.Kilda 60-53 Western Bulldogs) = A grind between two rivals. Some brilliance from Riewoldt gets the Saints over the line.
2010 (Collingwood 120-79 Geelong) = Biased again, but Collingwood's first half display was the best I've ever seen as a supporter. It was exhilarating to watch.
2011 (Collingwood 68-65 Hawthorn) = Collingwood hang on after a massive challenge from a brave Hawthorn team who were close to greatness as the following years showed.
2012 (Hawthorn 97-92 Adelaide) = Entertaining game of football, with Adelaide falling just short in the end.
2013 (Hawthorn 102-97 Geelong) = Geelong controlled the match and looked like winning at 3QT before the Hawks came back like a champion team does.
2014 (Hawthorn 97-94 Port Adelaide) = Port nearly steal the game after being 28 points down at one stage in the final quarter.
2016 (GWS 83-89 Western Bulldogs) = The Dogs win their first preliminary final in over 50 years and reach the Grand Final.

Below are the best preliminary finals I've seen in terms of quality football

GWS vs Western Bulldogs 2016

As a dogs fan it was hard to enjoy the game at the time at the ground as it was too tense, however having re-watched it several times it was a brilliant game of footy from both sides, and the second most memorable victory I've ever seen from the club.

Hawthorn vs Geelong 2013

Attended this game as a neutral. I rate the Hawks of 2013 the best of their recent flag sides and was next to certain that they'd win by plenty in this, finally ending the Kennett Curse for good, but as always Geelong troubled them allnight. At 3QT the Hawks fans around me were beside themselves at the prospect of losing again to Geelong. The last quarter was one for the ages, and the crowd noise at the end was so loud no one heard the siren.

Geelong vs North 1994

Again attended as a neutral. North had won in extra time two weeks earlier against the Hawks, had had the week off and were strong favourites, Cats had won two finals against us and Carlton.

Carey ripped this game apart for North, but Geelong always hung around. Still vividly remember Cats fans going bananas when Ablett took the final mark having done basically nothing all game., and also remember Riccardi for Geelong going on a brilliant run along the wing very late. Crazy game.

These are other memorable prelims that for me weren't as great as the above but are memorable for their amazing finishes:

Essendon vs Carlton 1999

I distinctly recall deciding not to even bother watching this game so certain I was that Essendon would win and was already looking ahead to the prospective Essendon vs North GF. Suddenly hear on the radio midway through the 2nd quarter that Carlton are up by a bit so decide to tune in.

Last quarter - Kouta dominating, the lead changes at least 3 or 4 times, and all comes down to Fraser Brown's epic tackle on Dean Wallis.

Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide 1997

As a Dogs fan this is obviously the worst and most infamous loss in our history but, trying to be as neutral as I can, the comeback from Adelaide was truly magnificent and one for the ages.

We had led pretty much all game, and although we were dominating early in the last, I still felt uneasy. Uneasiness turned to terror - Jarman ripping us apart up forward, Crows midfield all over us, and just seemed inevitable that we wouldn't score, so could we hold on? Nope.

Shattering loss, but full credit to the Crows, well deserved and outstanding comeback (you bastards ;) )

Sydney vs Essendon 1996

Barely recall the match itself aside from the last minute, but an amazing finish, and this was the first time the Swans had made the GF since god knows when so there's also that.

Carlton v Essendon '99.

I remember I was at a local footy Grand Final which finished 10 minutes before the AFL game. There were huddles of people around their trannies listening and the roars were just as loud as during the local Granny we had just been watching. Hundreds or thousands gathered around tiny radios listening to the match.

Pity about the result, obviously.

Adelaide rolling the Bulldogs in 97 was ridiculous, they should have lost the previous week to Geelong except for the most biased Footy Park umpiring since the umpires put on Crows jumpers against Fitzroy when the AFL were trying to dud them.

There have been a lot of epic tussles in the 2000's, but I prefer to wait and see if they stand the test of time, or they were just good, honest Prelims. Pies v Cats stands out for me, but the big crowds at the G always do.

Lol there is zero chance that would have been the case - think about basic probability for a minute.

Why not? If the probabilities were, hypothetically, deemed to be as follows:
  • West Coast 60% chance to win PF (Adelaide 40%)
  • If WC make the GF, 50% chance to win it (Sydney 50%)
  • If Adelaide make the GF, 90% chance to win it (Sydney 10%)
Then Sydney's chance of winning the flag is half of 60% + a tenth of 40% = 34%
West Coast's chance is half of 60% = 30%
Adelaide's chance is nine-tenths of 40% = 36%

...making Adelaide the flag favourite despite not being favourites in the prelim. And that's assuming the odds ep2006 referred to weren't the odd way they were for some reason other than directly based on "basic probability". Unlikely? Sure, but hardly "zero chance" of having happened; seems a weird thing to be so insistent about.

Not only would I say the 1999 Carlton vs Essendon premlin is the best premlin, but I would also make a case for best match of all time ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the Hawthorn vs. Adelaide prelim in 2012. Tippett was legitimately unstoppable and it was a gripping game with the underdog falling just short. Anyone who watched this game couldn't mock Sydney for signing Tippett for $800,000 with a straight face.

Plus, it was the first Saturday twilight prelim, and I'm a bit of a sucker for the Saturday twilight timeslot.

For me, the 2007 Cats V Pies PF. It had everything, including the drama of a crowd lock-out, tough, tense football, and a fitting result. I have never come away from an AFL game so emotionally drained

I guess the truth is that Preliminary Finals are open epic. Various posters have listed off heaps of them and all are ball-tearers. How about poor Jimmy Stynes running over the mark in 1987? Or the back to back Pies wins over the Cats both thrillers by less than a goal in 1980 and 81?
I reckon the Prelims are the games to get to, they more often than not out do the Grannies for thrills.

This is a few years earlier than the allocated timeline, 1993. Adelaide had the game under control, all they had to do was win, but then at 3 quarter time the Adelaide players did the unthinkable, they sat down in their huddle. Kevin Sheedy saw this and in a moment of magnificence took his players aside and delivered one of the greatest speeches in AFL folklore, which I unfortunately do not have a transcript of, but according to my memory was something along the lines of,

"I had a dream...", nope that was his 1991 speech against the Bulldogs, "Fore score and..." nope that was his 1996 first quarter address against the Hawks... ahh here it is,

"Look at those lazy fcukers! They're sitting down! And Gary (O'Donnell)...?"
Gary - "Yes Sheeds?"
"I am your father"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back