Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You blokes are all soft as s**t. After 6 years, the best complement we have is that he he got fired with class....
Close the thread, and let's never speak of it again..

yeah probs speaks a lot to how the rebuild has gone. just hasn't had any real substance to it.

Thanks for your efforts, Richo. He gave his all and fell short. Realistically he shouldn't have been given that contract extension and he should have been let go half way through last season.

Nothing against him on a personal level. Seems like a great guy who takes his job very seriously, but I don't think he was ever meant to be a senior AFL coach. The fact that he was never appointed to be one after an interview process reflects that.

Cmon Scrappy - the man is gone. No need to take parting shots.
We've got plenty of time to assess, dissect and evaluate, we can spare a moment to thank a bloke for doing a thankless job. It doesn't take much.
Pretty soon we'll shift focus to this weeks game and the rest of the season.
Sorry mate. I was more having a shot at all ye posters, not so much the former coach.

Speaking of graveyards, how is the Carlton Football Cemetery travelling these days?

I hear a few of your boys have begged Ratts to come back but he gave them the finger...
Don’t know where you got that misinformation from. But, then again, they get a lot of things wrong at St Kilda.
Our cemetery? It’s doing very well. We have 16 grand marble mausoleums containing premiership memorabilia. The St Kilda cemetery has one unattended concrete headstone, long in need of repair!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think someone people take the Richo bashing personally.

I don't think anyone on this forum means any real disrespect to him as an individual or what he stands for as a person, in fact if i had to pick i reckon he seems the most genuine and caring out of the lot.

However, a senior coach at an under performing AFL club comes with very harsh criticism (and rightfully so) when you put everything into context. It's the nature of the job. Same thing in reverse, we blow smoke up the ones that are etc.

We will never know if richo was a good coach or not.

Came to a club with a few superstars in their twilight years, and a rabble of players underneath.

The club has actually recruited well in the last 6 years, but the gulf between Roo and co and the young talent was too big, just as some started to come on, it was time for the old guard to go.

The future is starting to look bright now, but richos time is up.

As lethal said there are no good coaches, of bad teams.

As he should. Take away the human aspect of his colleague losing his job it was Finnis who gave the extension. If he had any decency he would be following Richo out the door. It’s time this kind of mismanagement at the Saints doesn’t go unpunished.
Hypothetically, if Finnis was the best man for the job in every other aspect should he lose his job for one (pretty big) mistake?
Not saying he is, I wouldn't know.
My own opinion is that it's important we have the best people in. If he's made a big mistake, but learnt from it and is fine in every other aspect I think that's better than taking a punt on another guy.
Of course if Finnis is no good in other ways, fair enough.

Don’t know where you got that misinformation from. But, then again, they get a lot of things wrong at St Kilda.
Our cemetery? It’s doing very well. We have 16 grand marble mausoleums containing premiership memorabilia. The St Kilda cemetery has one unattended concrete headstone, long in need of repair!
Take your bu#%#s**t where someone gives a f€#k what you think.
Mausoleum is right your club is history with no future now take your boiled sweets and go back to the parks

Yep keep living off your past glories when you could rort the system.

As soon as you realise it's no longer the VFL, you'll be able to move forward.

Just echoing most of the other sentiments on here.

Seemed like a genuine good bloke, just not good enough results as head coach over 6 years.
Had so many false starts where we thought we'd turned a corner and were on the way up only for it to collapse shortly after.

Definitely the right time for a change.

All the very best in the future Richo.

The irony in your post is that you sacked one of the greatest people to ever grace your club
Straight after he resurrected your club with a flag in 79 as your avatar delightfully depicts!

Just a few short years later your previously proud club ceased to exist as a relevant entity fullstop!

Saddest part is that this is pretty much an admission that we as a club got it wrong.

Back to square one...

I'm not so sure about that tbh. He had a rep. as a development coach and our crop of players from 2013 - 2016 is looking better than 2010 - 2012.

Obviously that's not all on the Head Coach and there's other variables, but consider that there are no drafted players from 2010 left on our list and one from 2012 (Pierce) which is the crop before Richo arrived and was able to cement himself in the club structure.

I think he's done the development job well but his weakness as a game day coach is just way too glaring to allow him to stay on, even with support.

Saddest part is that this is pretty much an admission that we as a club got it wrong.

Back to square one...
not really .. i always felt that Richo was the coach we needed to have to build the team .. he was for lack of a better word a yes man... the club told him he has to play kids he played kids ... i think right up til the end he did what was needed sacrificing his own personal record to get the desired result (long term)... i think Richo reached the limit of his ability to get anymore out of the group we have ... im hopeful (and lets be honest hopefull is all we can be) that the next coach will be able to build on the blocks already in place from the Richo era

GAGF mate

Richo inherited a basket case list. Yes he won a wooden spoon in his first year, but the club and our list is actually in a far better place now then when he arrived.

Yes he departs after 6 years with a 34% winning record. That's not great. But your mob has a 33% winning record and 5 wooden spoons since 2002.

Say what you want about Richo, but he is an upgrade on anything your arrogant, self-entitled embarrassment of a club has produced for almost two decades.

You and your club are simply irrelevant. You have been for most of the professional era (well since the AFL actually started pulling you up for cheating anyway). Best part is, looking through your list you will continue to be irrelevant long after the David Teague dead cat bounce wears off.

Now take the limited brain cells you have back to your board. Perhaps you can discuss what you could have done with all your draft picks had you not traded them to Adelaide for a handful of magic beans.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back