Injury The Medical Room: 2020 Injury Updates

Remove this Banner Ad

Far out. You’d think with history you’d know a small twinge is never that. Imagine if Pendles (someone without a history of quad issues) played that WC game and doubled the time he was out?

Not so sure I can blame him, I've been there, you feel a slight twinge and you're just not sure what it means, because its not really any pain, its more a little tightening, (or for me, I described it as a crease that ran along the muscle) so you go again just to see if it is anything at all and then you feel the restriction and you know you've done something.

Not so sure I can blame him, I've been there, you feel a slight twinge and you're just not sure what it means, because its not really any pain, its more a little tightening, (or for me, I described it as a crease that ran along the muscle) so you go again just to see if it is anything at all and then you feel the restriction and you know you've done something.

When he tore both off the bone he thought he had cramp 🤣

Nope, that was more the other week. This week he spoke about gameplan. Apparently our gameplan has been to take the game on and kick into the corridor and run & carry the football.

I spat out my tea.

Not surprised that's our gameplan. Shame the players are literally executing it.

From sirswampthing on twitter.
Games experience named on this week's @AFL website injury list
1387 - ESS
1268 - NTH
1048 - SYD
1034 - COLL
947 - WCE
868 - GEEL
851 - STK
749 - WBD
703 - GWS
639 - CARL
637 - RICH
565 - HAW
414 - ADEL
381 - PORT
379 - FREM
332 - MELB
295 - BRIS
78 - GCS

WCE and GEEL seem to be doing well despite a heavy injury toll. Perhaps our depth is not as deep as Bucks and the Club believe? I note that several media 'stars' have suddenly jumped off the "Collingwood has great depth" idea that they ran with after round 2.

1387 - ESS
1268 - NTH
1048 - SYD
1034 - COLL
947 - WCE
868 - GEEL
851 - STK
749 - WBD
703 - GWS
639 - CARL
637 - RICH
565 - HAW
414 - ADEL
381 - PORT
379 - FREM
332 - MELB
295 - BRIS
78 - GCS

WCE and GEEL seem to be doing well despite a heavy injury toll. Perhaps our depth is not as deep as Bucks and the Club believe? I note that several media 'stars' have suddenly jumped off the "Collingwood has great depth" idea that they ran with after round 2.

Games experience is not really a great measure of these things. One of the most significant injuries for any club is Matt Rowell for GC. How many of their close losses would he have got them over the line in? Yet he contributes just 5 games to that total.

If our injury list consisted of just Beams, Dunn, Reid & Mayne everyone on this board would probably be delighted yet we'd still be ranked as worse off than 11 or 12 other clubs on that list.

Also, Geelong's injury list consists of:

Ablett: indefinite
Fort: 1-2 weeks
Simpson: 3-4 weeks

Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Ratugolea are listed as test and Dalhaus as available (they all seem to contribute to that games total above).

So that's basically just 2 injuries to fringe players and a personal matter (who can return on 2 weeks notice) from their entire list.

Yes, we've been playing terribly but we would kill for that type of injury list.

Games experience is not really a great measure of these things. One of the most significant injuries for any club is Matt Rowell for GC. How many of their close losses would he have got them over the line in? Yet he contributes just 5 games to that total.

If our injury list consisted of just Beams, Dunn, Reid & Mayne everyone on this board would probably be delighted yet we'd still be ranked as worse off than 11 or 12 other clubs on that list.

Also, Geelong's injury list consists of:

Ablett: indefinite
Fort: 1-2 weeks
Simpson: 3-4 weeks

Guthrie, Kolodjashnij and Ratugolea are listed as test and Dalhaus as available (they all seem to contribute to that games total above).

So that's basically just 2 injuries to fringe players and a personal matter (who can return on 2 weeks notice) from their entire list.

Yes, we've been playing terribly but we would kill for that type of injury list.
100%, games experience what a shocking stat to use.

1387 - ESS
1268 - NTH
1048 - SYD
1034 - COLL
947 - WCE
868 - GEEL
851 - STK
749 - WBD
703 - GWS
639 - CARL
637 - RICH
565 - HAW
414 - ADEL
381 - PORT
379 - FREM
332 - MELB
295 - BRIS
78 - GCS

Eagles and geel haven’t had many outs mate. That’s a horrible stat. That said I’m not blaming injuries on our form, we are a long way off and hopefully makes inroads in the draft

1387 - ESS
1268 - NTH
1048 - SYD
1034 - COLL
947 - WCE
868 - GEEL
851 - STK
749 - WBD
703 - GWS
639 - CARL
637 - RICH
565 - HAW
414 - ADEL
381 - PORT
379 - FREM
332 - MELB
295 - BRIS
78 - GCS

The context is important. We have had the worst injury run of any contending team during the past three years. Being cruelled by injury when you are floating mid table or on the bottom isn't quite as devastating. Perhaps GWS are on a par but they have 200 first draft picks so their depth hasn't been tested in the same way. This has gone on for ten years. We have been top two or three every year under Bucks.

If I reacted to every slight twinge these days, I would never get out of bed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I should point out that the twitter account that stated the games experience figures is genuinely my favourite account on Twitter - https://twitter.com/sirswampthing.

He has the most outrageously amazing and obscure stats about footy that you could possibly hope to see. I wish I could see the spreadsheets he must have.

The thing l liked about the injury report, was that Tommy Langdon wasn't mentioned, which means he is an active player, available for selection.
Would be great if we brought in DeGoey, Treloar and Langdon for the Brisbane game. In saying that, this may well be the scenario for the GC game!
he has been active for a while, participating in scratch matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back