Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why did he knock back an offer we had arranged with Fremantle for their pick 11 up head back to Perth?

Fremantle up until the last hour of the trade table were there waiting Incase it fell through to orchestrare the deal.

Kelly knocked back the deal to go to Perth, not geelong.

If there is any truth to his family stuff, then he put his own wishes and preferences before his own families wellbeing.

No matter what you look at it, Tim kelly and his management acted selfish and looked like fools
I wouldn't say that at all. Obviously Kelly has his reasons for not wishing to go to Fremantle and neither you and I know those reasons (I can guess and can understand why, if true).

There are times in ones life when you can chose as to why you just don't want to play for a particular Club. Unfortunately here in Perth we only have two teams and if a player is adverse to playing for one particular Club, then that obviously only leaves one other Club to choose to play for. That's just how the land lies until one day when we may get a third Club here in WA. Can understand Geelong didn't want to do the trade seeing as Kelly is still contracted, however it's just delaying the inevitable for 12 months time.

Still think what your Club was asking for was overs for a player (no matter how good) who's only played at AFL level for 12 months. A pick in the teens was his true value I believe, but at the end of the day it's all done and we will continue all this toing and froing in 12 months time!

I don't think anyone minds that Kelly requested a trade but it is obvious that the reason given was disingenuous.

Has had interpersonal conflict with Freo staff and players.

He desperately wants to get home for family support, but also cares about a career he's worked incredibly hard for and wants to play alongside teammates he respects and feels comfortable around.

Nothing disingenuous about it - seems like a solid fella' in my book.

People who come out questioning his motives amidst nearly every other player traded requesting 1 team come across absolute flogs imo.

I think a lot of it was about holding firm in order to protect the value of future trades.

If we'd said "top-ten pick", and then accepted 20 + 22 + ~36 (2019), which was the West Coast final offer, then it would have consequences for our future trading potential.

I get the practical argument in that p20 + p22 + ~p36 is greater than what we'll get next year, though.

I love your faith in our 2019 campaign! B2B :D

It doesn't matter what pick you get, Geelong doesn't get access to those players.

Pick 20 would have been the 20th best player a valuable to Geelong, even if it does become the 25th selection.
I'm sure there have been success stories over the years of players being selected in the 20's who turn out to be guns. Kelly is a prime example at this stage of his career. I know it's not always the way but with this years draft supposedly being a good year for drafting, your Club may have got lucky again. But now we will never know of course.

It's just great to see both sets of supporters happy. Granted some people go about showing their happiness in differing ways - for example many of the WCE supporters seem to display their happiness through a great amount of bitterness and moaning, and if one didn't know any better you'd think they weren't actually happy about missing out on Kelly at all. Thankfully we know better, and they are in fact stoked to be taking their multitude of junk picks to the draft.

Group hug? :)
I think we're all just going through "what could have been", so we're not unhappy - just processing it;)

Just had a thought about this Kelly situation and please feel free to tell me if I am way off base here... i know Big Footy types can be quite coy....

So the young man has been overlooked in x amount of drafts and finally gets a crack and moves to Geelong on a two-year deal for about as low an amount as AFL players can earn. Next thing you know he looks like a star! Yet here he is in his mid 20s with a family to look after and a finite amount of time to make some serious coin in the big league. Should he play on for the second year of his contract? Or get traded so he can strike a new deal for the money he is clearly worth?

So what I am asking is, is the money factor every bit as important as the family support factor in WA? And I am in no way condemning him if it is because he is in a situation where he has burst on to the scene and looks a star but may not have a 10-year career ahead.

So if it is, can Geelong not renegotiate his deal for next year and see if he is keen on a long-term deal on the big dollars he is worth?

Do West Coast really consider a bucket of scraps a serious final hour bid? Amazingly deluded

Not even one premium pick or even a pick in the teens lol. Did they delude themselves into thinking they're rich with the picks they've got?
I thought early in the piece that there was a possibility that a deal was on the cards to be arranged with Sydney for pick 13/14(?) but Geelong conveyed that wasn't enough so it fell through??

Just had a thought about this Kelly situation and please feel free to tell me if I am way off base here... i know Big Footy types can be quite coy....

So the young man has been overlooked in x amount of drafts and finally gets a crack and moves to Geelong on a two-year deal for about as low an amount as AFL players can earn. Next thing you know he looks like a star! Yet here he is in his mid 20s with a family to look after and a finite amount of time to make some serious coin in the big league. Should he play on for the second year of his contract? Or get traded so he can strike a new deal for the money he is clearly worth?

So what I am asking is, is the money factor every bit as important as the family support factor in WA? And I am in no way condemning him if it is because he is in a situation where he has burst on to the scene and looks a star but may not have a 10-year career ahead.

So if it is, can Geelong not renegotiate his deal for next year and see if he is keen on a long-term deal on the big dollars he is worth?
Think the main reason was because his wife wants to go home for family support considering they have an autistic child as well as baby twins. There obviously was a strong reason why Kelly didn't want to even consider Freo and that's his prerogative at the end of the day. So here we are now with a deal not having being done and we will all have to wait and see how it all pans out in 12 months time? Money of course always helps but all the money in the world doesn't solve some issues. An autistic child on its own is a challenge, never mind any other issues that may be there. Some people just don't cope without family support - it's just the way it is!

Do West Coast really consider a bucket of scraps a serious final hour bid? Amazingly deluded

Not even one premium pick or even a pick in the teens lol. Did they delude themselves into thinking they're rich with the picks they've got?
I think they just gave it their best shot with the picks they had at their disposal without being irresponsible to the Club for future years, but it just wasn't enough. No doubt behind the scenes they were trying to pull off a better deal - all one can do is try and if it doesn't come off move on and accept the outcome. End of story!

I’m sure there were many factors at play, including family support, money, and career opportunities. I don’t think the family reasons were disingenuous at all, but he’s also looking to maximise his contract and ply his trade somewhere he actually wants to play. The end result is another year at a club he likes, but away from where he wants to live, until next year, when he can get to the club and location he likes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they just gave it their best shot with the picks they had at their disposal without being irresponsible to the Club for future years, but it just wasn't enough. No doubt behind the scenes they were trying to pull off a better deal - all one can do is try and if it doesn't come off move on and accept the outcome. End of story!
so how do west coast intend to make it happen next year?. As far as I can see your 1st round pick is likely to be high teens. You will have to give up a player.

so how do west coast intend to make it happen next year?. As far as I can see your 1st round pick is likely to be high teens. You will have to give up a player.

We could trade our 2020 first rounder, or a player might want out, or our first rounder could be enough for Kelly based on his 2019 performance, or any number of things could happen in the 50 weeks between now and then.

I think Geelong just knocked back a great deal. Considering their aging list, they had the opportunity to get some youth for the future with picks 12, 20 & 22.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Where was pick 12 coming from? The final offer from the WCE was 20, 22, 2019 2nd round. So basically an assortment of picks between 20-36 that proved to carry no value to any of the other clubs who refused to trade down in the draft. Was a bit of a token junk offer in reality I think.

Where was pick 12 coming from? The final offer from the WCE was 20, 22, 2019 2nd round. So basically an assortment of picks between 20-36 that proved to carry no value to any of the other clubs who refused to trade down in the draft. Was a bit of a token junk offer in reality I think.

It's the pick you already have.

Geelong would lose him for nothing. You don’t draft people who don’t want to play for you and you don’t draft people who want to go home. That eliminates the 16 non WA teams, and I highly doubt dockers make a play at Kelly if he was in the draft. How would that look on you when the player has basically publically stated he would rather be in Victoria than play for you, and then you go and draft them because maybe, just maybe he changes his mind and the only reason why he would’ve changed his mind is because he was ‘held hostage’ by the dockers almost. “You will play for us or no one at all” is basically the stance any club would take if they are picking Kelly against his wishes. I’d love to know how Geelong have any negotiating power next year.

If the offer is anymore than a first rounder, I will be blown away, considering Eagles are about a 95% chance of getting him for free if nothing changes and he does go to the draft. Which you would also think is a guarantee as Kelly isn’t going to accept a trade to anywhere but the Eagles if he knows the Eagles will pick him up.

Has had interpersonal conflict with Freo staff and players.

He desperately wants to get home for family support, but also cares about a career he's worked incredibly hard for and wants to play alongside teammates he respects and feels comfortable around.

Nothing disingenuous about it - seems like a solid fella' in my book.

People who come out questioning his motives amidst nearly every other player traded requesting 1 team come across absolute flogs imo.
I've got no dog in this fight.

It is common sense that if home was the deciding factor then Fremantle would have been in the conversation equally.

It is uncommon for a first year player to request a trade home.

Just about every other player traded home had given 7+ seasons of service.

Boyd was unprecedented and the Bulldogs gave up pick 6 + wantaway Ryan Griffin who was their captain at the time.

I understand that Kelly wanted to go back to WA but West Coast did not pay what Geelong wanted.

I personally think that Geelong have dealt with this situation well.

This whole circus was created by Kelly's disingenuity, his agent and then WC not finding a suitable trade.

Kelly himself said that he would rather stay at Geelong than play for Fremantle and I believe that is fair enough but again it shows that WC and not WA were the driving factor of this whole situation.

I think 20,22 and a future second...not sure what more Eagles could have realistically offered. That’s a lot for 1 player, could’ve been 3 good kids best case.

But that’s Geelong’s prerogative. 1 year in AFL and he thinks he’s earnt the right to refuse Freo which could’ve got him home earlier - why? Because Eagles are currently better - that’s what his manager said today reading between the lines.

I dunno, I can see it from both sides. This thread will go on and on and on now!

I think Geelong just knocked back a great deal. Considering their aging list, they had the opportunity to get some youth for the future with picks 12, 20 & 22.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're right in that the cats knocked back a great deal but they have a few reasonably good skinny kids who aren't quite ready, which is what 20 and 22 would be. Kelly staying stops us having to throw kids into the fire before they're ready. They're probably thinking a year of getting games into Fogarty, Parfitt, Narkle, Constable in either the 2s or off HF/HB rather than put them in the grinder is worth the value slide from Kelly coming out of contract. I'm not sure I agree it's the right decision but could understand it. Plus, if his development tracks as well as Tom Stewart's then who says his value goes down at all?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back