Recommitted Tom Mitchell [contracted and staying at Hawthorn]

If he were to be traded, what would Hawthorn get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond doesn't need Mitchel but Hawthorn needs the draft pick for their rebuild.

I would prefer to trade for Cerra even if he is more expensive.
Yeah but it doesn't have to be Mitchell.

Cotchin is a better midfielder. Might not get the ball as much but it’s the other stuff he does which makes him great.

There is no objective measure that would have Cotchin ahead of Mitchell over the last few years.

In the last 5 years, Cotchin has not been All Australian whilst Mitchell has been multiple times.
Cotchin has not been in the top 3 of the B&F whilst Mitchell has won it multiple times.
Cotchin has not been top 30 in the Brownlow whilst Mitchell has won one and finished 3rd in another.
Cotchin has not been top 20 in the coaches award while Mitchell has been top 3.
Cotchin has not received a single MVP vote whilst Mitchell has won the award.

Statistically, Mitchell doesn't just get more of the ball he gets much more, has more effective possessions, more contested possessions, more clearances, more tackles, kicks more goals, more marks, etc.

Understand he is 'heart and soul' captain but bias is the only thing that would have someone believe that Cotchin has been a better player over the last 5 years.

There is no objective measure that would have Cotchin ahead of Mitchell over the last few years.

In the last 5 years, Cotchin has not been All Australian whilst Mitchell has been multiple times.
Cotchin has not been in the top 3 of the B&F whilst Mitchell has won it multiple times.
Cotchin has not been top 30 in the Brownlow whilst Mitchell has won one and finished 3rd in another.

Statistically, Mitchell doesn't just get more of the ball he gets much more, has more effective possessions, more contested possessions, more clearances, more tackles, kicks more goals, more marks, etc.

Understand he is 'heart and soul' captain but bias is the only thing that would have someone believe that Cotchin has been a better player over the last 5 years.
Yet i know which players career i would love to have between Cotchin / Mitchell

If Trent Cotchin does retire at the end of the season Richmond already have that "defensive inside mid" role filled depth wise through youth--- Jack Graham, Jack Ross & Riley Collier-Dawkins.

While I understand the rumours coming out because Mitchell & Hawthorn both see a mutual benefit of him leaving, there's no real upside for Richmond to take on Mitchell at this stage of his career-- especially as Mitchell isn't the defensive player that he once was (dropped from an average of 6.5 tackles in a game in 2015-2017 to lower than 4 this season).

Crazy thread

Richmond just dont have the cap space to fit mitchell in unless Hawks are paying 50% of his next 2 years
he is contracted until the end of 2023

With the amount of cap space Hawthorn has i think they would be more then willing to do that.

And who cares? I still rate Cotchin as a better midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No his peak would be 2018 after a Brownlow year, no doubt it is lower now. I could give you a massive list of worse and older players that have netted firsts and a hell of a lot more. Absolutely the right club would still cough up a first for him.
"The right club" for sure. I don't know what club that would be though

If Trent Cotchin does retire at the end of the season Richmond already have that "defensive inside mid" role filled depth wise through youth--- Jack Graham, Jack Ross & Riley Collier-Dawkins.

While I understand the rumours coming out because Mitchell & Hawthorn both see a mutual benefit of him leaving, there's no real upside for Richmond to take on Mitchell at this stage of his career-- especially as Mitchell isn't the defensive player that he once was (dropped from an average of 6.5 tackles in a game in 2015-2017 to lower than 4 this season).
Less stoppages reduces the amount of tackles.

Fair, I just don't see a win/win in terms of a Hawks/Richmond trade.

I dont think he suits richmonds age profile or gameplan to be honest.

Id go after cerra instead if i was them.

I dont think he suits richmonds age profile or gameplan to be honest.

Id go after cerra instead if i was them.

I would too. Cerra's age and draft position makes him attractive to a lot of clubs. Talk of him getting a big money deal (not worth it yet) which probably doesn't suit Richmond's immediate plans.

I hate to say it, but Cotchin is a better leader than Mitchell and isn't simply an accumulator of possessions. Does more of the hard work getting his team back into games. Whether it be hard running, tackling etc, you get more of that from Cotchin.
Cothin is the better player IMO.

Back