Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Won't say I told you, s**t I love this kid, give him Max's #11. Goodbye McGylnn.
McGlynn's done but he's been brilliant for us...just sheer bad luck! This young kid might not have all the skill in the world and clearly can miss a goal or two but what he doesn't lack is the desire to play for that red and white jumper! For that reason, those skills will improve but that energy, you see it, rubs off on the others when he's up and about!

He was like McPoint hanging out the back of big Barry Round, very good player though and good fella. The petition will be started give Bubbles 11 !

I was only little at the time barely remember
I just met him when he coached hobart and he was friendly
But he has played most games in the number

Shh...he might here you coming and absolutely s**t himself! Having said that, he could play and that left foot...sublime!
Similar to the former #9 with kicking skills, but the latest one , won us a flag against scum.

Great get this kid, has the work ethic of a young Kirk albeit a different player. If he's a 10th of Max Papley he will play seniors. As an old boy I just remember Max playing for South, if it wasn't for cricket he would have played over 200 and maybe won a Brownlow, he was that good. But i'm biased as I played under Max for 3 years.
You were all told, he's a beauty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't be more impressed with his finals performances so far. Question I had going in was whether he'd be able to make the most of his opportunities in front of goals. Given his age I wondered whether he'd keep cool under pressure.

He was always going to apply pressure, that was certain, but he's been able to have an impact on the scoreboard and has already exceeded expectations.

We'll done papley! Look forward to watching you for years to come

Great debut season. With Bruest's name being tossed around as tradeable for JOM or Mitchell, will he add much to the side given Papley's form or slot in nicely along side him at the foot of our talls?

Great debut season. With Bruest's name being tossed around as tradeable for JOM or Mitchell, will he add much to the side given Papley's form or slot in nicely along side him at the foot of our talls?

If Mcglynn is out then yes. You can play a couple of quality smalls in the forward line.

i have been critical towards Papley and Benny being in the same team together, but it seems to be coming together at the right time of year. id same it is possible Paps and Bruest could slot in next to each other and make it work. may take some adjusting though.

saying that all the talk i have heard is that the hawks want to make him part of the o'meara trade to GC, nothing as far as the Mitchell trade. plus i think its moot talking about it as i believe Titch will re-sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back