Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

That's exactly the way it should be.
Why are people joining clubs towards the bottom of the table? Because they can offer greater salary.
Why do players join clubs towards the top? To chase success in the short term.
When Hawthorn are down the bottom, which they inevitably will be at some point, they will have to adjust their strategy, likewise when Carlton is at the top.
It's all swings and roundabouts. Every team will have their day at either end of the table. That won't change.
One mistake the AFL made with the introduction of free agency was introducing it at the same time as the introduction of the expansion franchises. No doubt it contributed to teams inability to climb up the table due to compromised drafts, prolonging the teams who were down the bottom's stay down there. That is the major reason Carlton have struggled to climb, not free agency. And yes, these factors absolutely contributed to the length of Hawthorn's period of success. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Hawthorn still had to be a well run club that got a lot right, but the timing of expansion franchises and the introduction of FA absolutely benefited them by pure chance that they happened to be a club towards the top at the time.

Who has joined a top club for unders BTW?
Geez I hate the terms unders and overs. Players get paid or traded for what the market dictates. Not a cent more, not a cent less

Can't agree with that. If a lower team has to pay a premium on the exact same player that a top club could attract then it is far more difficult for cellar dwellars to rise.

Furthermore, it was black and white that Hawk's were on the way down yet they were still able to lure elite talent at bargain prices. It had nothing to do with performance, all to do with the status of the club. I hate the buzz word 'destination club' but it does continue to ring true. Hawks have been able to rebuild almost instantly and will stay competitive, all the while Carlton/Saints/North etc all continue to struggle. It took the Dees near on a decade to finally emerge from the darkness (after they had clearly turned the corner).

Stronger clubs may never bottom out under the current system as they will always be a 'destination club'.

Not taking a swipe at the current system or the Hawks ability to use it to their advantage. It just feels a little souless watching the Hawks rebuild an elite team in the past couple of years with everyone else's firesales.

Can't agree with that. If a lower team has to pay a premium on the exact same player that a top club could attract then it is far more difficult for cellar dwellars to rise.

Furthermore, it was black and white that Hawk's were on the way down yet they were still able to lure elite talent at bargain prices. It had nothing to do with performance, all to do with the status of the club. I hate the buzz word 'destination club' but it does continue to ring true. Hawks have been able to rebuild almost instantly and will stay competitive, all the while Carlton/Saints/North etc all continue to struggle. It took the Dees near on a decade to finally emerge from the darkness (after they had clearly turned the corner).

Stronger clubs may never bottom out under the current system as they will always be a 'destination club'.

Not taking a swipe at the current system or the Hawks ability to use it to their advantage. It just feels a little souless watching the Hawks rebuild an elite team in the past couple of years with everyone else's firesales.

status has nothing to do with it, lets get serious!!

The only thing I can think of here is that Scully is threatening to sue GWS over their treatment of his ankle unless they release him effectively for free.

The only thing I can think of here is that Scully is threatening to sue GWS over their treatment of his ankle unless they release him effectively for free.

Otherwise are they saying all other clubs apart from Hawthorn are incompetent and do not get a look in with the expansion club offloads???

Hawks must have some power players behind the scenes pulling strings in terms of funding!!!

Trade and Free Agency Discussion 2018 - Edition IV
Have some info on Tom Scully’s injury. Have heard this from another player from GWS father. Player was in rehab when Scully came storming out of doctors office swearing. Player was told by Scully he had a hole through his calf which was caused by the rod put in his ankle. Was then told by club doctor that it could possibly be a 2 year injury. Not sure what time of year this happened but I’m glad we have cooled on him . Sounds like RFC has done our research on him .
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/index.php?posts/58485109/

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Have some info on Tom Scully’s injury. Have heard this from another player from GWS father. Player was in rehab when Scully came storming out of doctors office swearing. Player was told by Scully he had a hole through his calf which was caused by the rod put in his ankle. Was then told by club doctor that it could possibly be a 2 year injury. Not sure what time of year this happened but I’m glad we have cooled on him . Sounds like RFC has done our research on him .

Thats fine, but here is the problem with that argument, why only Hawthorn and why other clubs, per trade radio, where told not to bother in terms of enquires regarding interest in Scully's movements? Furthermore, how long is a piece of string regarding other players and perceived Hawks favourable treatment versus other clubs especially when dealing with expansion clubs reporting to AFL HQ?

GWS doctor's wouldn't be Scully`s surgeon I imagine, seems a large jump from sports doctor to orthopaedic surgeon, not sure why a surgery * up means he leaves GWS.

Also not sure how a man storms out of anywhere with a hole in his calf.

Only passing on information I’ve heard . May make sense that no other clubs have gone hard at him. If he does recover well he will be a bargain pick up

Mate it doesnt line up with all the conspiracies about how hawthorn are getting a leg up from the AFL.

Points for trying though well done

Never said I think Hawks are getting a leg up !! I have no problems with Hawks picking him up. I actually feel sorry for Scully if he does miss games of football. I don’t want to see any player miss games . I understand you think this lies , 99% of stuff on here is . Let’s wait for round 1 next year to see if he is named , whoever he’s playing for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people joining clubs towards the bottom of the table? Because they can offer greater salary.
When Hawthorn are down the bottom, which they inevitably will be at some point, they will have to adjust their strategy, likewise when Carlton is at the top.
It's all swings and roundabouts. Every team will have their day at either end of the table. That won't change.
One
One mistake the AFL made with the introduction of free agency was introducing it at the same time as the introduction of the expansion franchises. No doubt it contributed to teams inability to climb up the table due to compromised drafts, prolonging the teams who were down the bottom's stay down there. That is the major reason Carlton have struggled to climb, not free agency. And yes, these factors absolutely contributed to the length of Hawthorn's period of success. It would be stupid to suggest otherwise. Hawthorn still had to be a well run club that got a lot right, but the timing of expansion franchises and the introduction of FA absolutely benefited them by pure chance that they happened to be a club towards the top at the time.

Who has joined a top club for unders BTW?
Geez I hate the terms unders and overs. Players get paid or traded for what the market dictates. Not a cent more, not a cent less

I agree with a bit about what you say, however on your last part who has signed at successful clubs for unders..

Well this period already Tom lynch signed at Richmond for $400k per year less than North were offering and what GCS were offering.

Shiel has 3 other offers that were more than Essendon out on the table and accepted 2 mill less to go to Essendon.

Dalhouse didn’t go to market but signed at geelong, who also signed Dangerfield for significantly less than the market would pay.

The list is endless, but the North are paying insane $ to Polec etc etc

I agree with a bit about what you say, however on your last part who has signed at successful clubs for unders..

Well this period already Tom lynch signed at Richmond for $400k per year less than North were offering and what GCS were offering.

Shiel has 3 other offers that were more than Essendon out on the table and accepted 2 mill less to go to Essendon.

Dalhouse didn’t go to market but signed at geelong, who also signed Dangerfield for significantly less than the market would pay.

Hawthorn pulled out of the race for shiel because the asking price was two first rounders we couldnt get the deal done with all our other list priorities

Everyone is different. Some are happy to play for less to achieve the ultimate in footy .. premierships .

Hawthorn pulled out of the race for shiel because the asking price was two first rounders we couldnt get the deal done with all our other list priorities
Exactly and your offer was less than Essendon’s if reported correctly which simply reinforces my point that the system is stacked in favour of the strong clubs staying strong

Ooook.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Incorrect. Shiel chose Essendon over Hawthorn because of better list potential, age demographic and likelihood of winning a flag in the next few years. Didn't want to go to the Glenferrie Nursing Home.

Sorry, champ.

Incorrect. Shiel chose Essendon over Hawthorn because of better list potential, age demographic and likelihood of winning a flag in the next few years. Didn't want to go to the Glenferrie Nursing Home.

Sorry, champ.
With the amount of time he has spent on the sidelines over the last few years, maybe he should have come to the "Glenferrie Nursing Home". Maybe he wants a quick fix ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back