Paul Roos Lg. Ultimate Footy Dynasty league 2017 - Paul Roos Cup

list size

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have instigated future draft pick trading in our league (dynasty league) this year, and allow trading all off-season, including during draft, and up until end of round 16. I think it works well ☺

We have instigated future draft pick trading in our league (dynasty league) this year, and allow trading all off-season, including during draft, and up until end of round 16. I think it works well ☺
Do you stop free agent pickups during the off season??

While we wait for new coaches to come in, why don't we spitball some ideas for the league?

What are our thoughts on trading picks and future picks (the next two drafts)? I implemented trading for picks in a couple of my keeper Leagues this year and I think it has greatly increased trading between coaches and it appears to have given the teams at the bottom of the table another tool to rebuild. I've only been doing it for one year and I'm sure some of you guys have done it for longer so I'd be interested to know what your thoughts are?

Yeah i'm absolutely for trading of draft picks, i think for the next 2 draft periods as you've said is about right. Gives the bottom teams a tool to load up on picks and young exciting talent while giving the top teams a tool to trade out picks to make their finals run.

This sounds good as well.

We allow 5 FA selections from the period after the draft (Usually March) till the end of Round 23, so yeah - no FA selections can be done in the off-season, only trades (of players and draft picks).

While i agree there should be a cap on FA selections i think 5 is a bit limited. I think somewhere in the 10-20 a year is fine, we'll have restricted free agency access to allow for equality which we do in my other league and i think it works well. Basically there's a 24-48 hour window after a player has been dropped, their team has played or the round has finished at which point the players in the FA pool become restricted free agents and those with high waiver priority get first dibs on any player that multiple teams have tried to add. Once you've successfully added a restricted free agent you're waiver priority drops to the end of the line. No free agents can be added in the offseason, at the end of the year any free agents can just go back into the draftpool for the coming draft.

I think a 24hr restricted FA period is a great thing, it gives us something to do ALL DAY Monday!!
What are your thoughts on the waiver priority reflecting the ladder positions (last place gets first priority, first place gets last priority)? It may be another equalisation tool??
Ive experienced both and have no real preference to be honest.

Lads,

To continue the spitballing of ideas I've got one that is a bit out of the box. The idea was born from wanting to somehow incorporate the AFL's academy/zones into fantasy land.
No ideas a bad idea right???? Well let's test that theory :drunk:, bare with me.

Each team is aligned to an AFL club, ideally the club you support but that may not be practical. Prior to the draft each year you get to select 1 available player 21 years or under from your aligned club to be added to your list. That player then cannot be delisted for the entirety of the season.
My thinking is this would help distribute young talent more evenly throughout the comp as well as getting to follow a player from a club you support.
Managing it might be the difficulty??
Too much o_O ?

Lads,

To continue the spitballing of ideas I've got one that is a bit out of the box. The idea was born from wanting to somehow incorporate the AFL's academy/zones into fantasy land.
No ideas a bad idea right???? Well let's test that theory :drunk:, bare with me.

Each team is aligned to an AFL club, ideally the club you support but that may not be practical. Prior to the draft each year you get to select 1 available player 21 years or under from your aligned club to be added to your list. That player then cannot be delisted for the entirety of the season.
My thinking is this would help distribute young talent more evenly throughout the comp as well as getting to follow a player from a club you support.
Managing it might be the difficulty??
Too much o_O ?
It's an interesting idea though i don't think i'm a big fan of it. For one, anyone can draft a player from the club they support in the proper draft, most of the guys drafted in the draft will usually be under 21 and with the big list sizes there should be no problems in people drafting young talent knowing they probably won't contribute for a few years. I actually think this would end up in an unequal competition just as it does in AFL. Like in real AFL Sydney have gotten access to Heeney and Mills in recent drafts despite being a top 4 side for as long as i can remember now. Similarly, in your proposed academy system, the top team could trade out their 1st round pick during the year and say they're a Brisbane fan (just using them as an example since they're the current basketcase) they could then gain access to pick no1 or 2 without even having a 1st round pick. I like that you're thinking outside the box because that generally lends itself to some interesting leagues but academies/zone picks are highly antiquated as is in real life and only result in an unfair playing field.

It's an interesting idea though i don't think i'm a big fan of it. For one, anyone can draft a player from the club they support in the proper draft, most of the guys drafted in the draft will usually be under 21 and with the big list sizes there should be no problems in people drafting young talent knowing they probably won't contribute for a few years. I actually think this would end up in an unequal competition just as it does in AFL. Like in real AFL Sydney have gotten access to Heeney and Mills in recent drafts despite being a top 4 side for as long as i can remember now. Similarly, in your proposed academy system, the top team could trade out their 1st round pick during the year and say they're a Brisbane fan (just using them as an example since they're the current basketcase) they could then gain access to pick no1 or 2 without even having a 1st round pick. I like that you're thinking outside the box because that generally lends itself to some interesting leagues but academies/zone picks are highly antiquated as is in real life and only result in an unfair playing field.
You make a fine point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 currently registered, with all managers who have voted so far currently preferring list sizes of 42-46 i'd say we'll aim for a 14 team league as 16 will leave the free agent pool near empty. So 5 spots remaining.

Last edited:
DMan, had any thoughts on what categories we should role with??
I'm happy to put in to upgrade the league to get the extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back