News We’re going to Dingleyland! Construction to begin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post a link and a quote or two for key points, don't copy whole articles and don't do it without linking to the original
It's against big footy rules and just makes more work for the mods

Latest Update in the age today... Only highlighted key points...

Making it rain: Jeff Kennett heads the Hawthorn Football Club AGM

But the bigger talking point among members was an update on the club’s fundraising activities as it pushes ahead with an ambitious $130 million plan for its new Kennedy Community Centre in Dingley Village.

Club bean-counters have indicated that the current tally for the fundraising drive has ticked over $30 million. Apparently the bulk of the cash has come from a bank of deep-pocketed members in the club’s inner sanctum and that’s before the club has started rattling the tin hard among rank-and-file members.
We’ve got no idea who makes up the central bank, but with members including Flight Centre founder Geoff Harris and BRW Rich Lister Radek Sali on the board it’s not hard to imagine.

Perhaps the Hawks' rich-club reputation is well deserved. It’s also worth noting the club owns the Dingley Village land outright, rather than using it on a lease as other clubs do.

But there’s a way to go on the project. Hawthorn is seeking about $80 million from supporters, and is hoping to get another $50 million from all levels of government, and the AFL to pay the rest. Apparently there’s still some way to go in its charm offensive with the AFL.

Latest Update in the age today... Only highlighted key points...

Making it rain: Jeff Kennett heads the Hawthorn Football Club AGM

But the bigger talking point among members was an update on the club’s fundraising activities as it pushes ahead with an ambitious $130 million plan for its new Kennedy Community Centre in Dingley Village.

Club bean-counters have indicated that the current tally for the fundraising drive has ticked over $30 million. Apparently the bulk of the cash has come from a bank of deep-pocketed members in the club’s inner sanctum and that’s before the club has started rattling the tin hard among rank-and-file members.
We’ve got no idea who makes up the central bank, but with members including Flight Centre founder Geoff Harris and BRW Rich Lister Radek Sali on the board it’s not hard to imagine.

Perhaps the Hawks' rich-club reputation is well deserved. It’s also worth noting the club owns the Dingley Village land outright, rather than using it on a lease as other clubs do.

But there’s a way to go on the project. Hawthorn is seeking about $80 million from supporters, and is hoping to get another $50 million from all levels of government, and the AFL to pay the rest. Apparently there’s still some way to go in its charm offensive with the AFL.

It's going to have significant difficulty trying to sell the grassroots and community benefits to an AFL that just cut funding to country footy.

It's going to have significant difficulty trying to sell the grassroots and community benefits to an AFL that just cut funding to country footy.
The AFL has never shown much care in country football. As long as some key people want it done it will, I thought it was interesting that we own the land why don't we just finance a long term loan, would be the same as a lease from a cost perspective but we retain an asset.

Grants from the government/AFL like this are goodwill/relationship-driven or someone has some dirt to push something along.

I get the ethical issues with pokies, but still think they will go a long way to funding this. Also for the clubs that have gotten rid of their pokies, is there any info on how they made up the difference in revenue, or are they reliant on bigger handouts from Gil and co?

I get the ethical issues with pokies, but still think they will go a long way to funding this. Also for the clubs that have gotten rid of their pokies, is there any info on how they made up the difference in revenue, or are they reliant on bigger handouts from Gil and co?
Yep..look at us we have no pokies.. hey Gil, can we have more handouts please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep..look at us we have no pokies.. hey Gil, can we have more handouts please
Handouts paid from money that the AFL obtained from their gambling/wagering partner...

May as well keep pokies, cut out the middle-man & put 100% of the profits to our good use

Surely we're entitled to Govt assistance as per all other clubs that have upgraded their facilities. Geelong, Richmond, Carlton etc.
Haven't Adelaide just put plans in for a new centre with substantial Govt funding.
Just seems like when it's our turn for some grants to be made its a real struggle to get it off the ground.
Don't expect much from the boobs at AFL house as i feel the're still peeved at us from '96.

Surely we're entitled to Govt assistance as per all other clubs that have upgraded their facilities. Geelong, Richmond, Carlton etc.
Haven't Adelaide just put plans in for a new centre with substantial Govt funding.
Just seems like when it's our turn for some grants to be made its a real struggle to get it off the ground.
Don't expect much from the boobs at AFL house as i feel the're still peeved at us from '96.
Part of the difference will be the Govt is funding council land for those clubs.....whereas for Dingley they'd be funding private land, unless the Club gives up a bit for community initiatives, which it is likely to.

Govt funding will come, just a matter of when and how much

Part of the difference will be the Govt is funding council land for those clubs.....whereas for Dingley they'd be funding private land, unless the Club gives up a bit for community initiatives, which it is likely to.

Govt funding will come, just a matter of when and how much

It's more than a bit - "the club’s aim is to develop a world-class training and administrative facility based on community use, gender equal facilities and education spaces. It would provide a "regional home" for non-profit groups."

Prior to the May '19 elections, we had a commitment from the Labour Party of $20 million in federal government funding, should Labour win (they didn't).

A bigger slice of the equalisation fund that club's pokies profits fund.

It's more than a bit - "the club’s aim is to develop a world-class training and administrative facility based on community use, gender equal facilities and education spaces. It would provide a "regional home" for non-profit groups."

Prior to the May '19 elections, we had a commitment from the Labour Party of $20 million in federal government funding, should Labour win (they didn't).
Albos a fan

A bigger slice of the equalisation fund that club's pokies profits fund.
I'd like to know if the option has been explored of making the site a mixed use facility. Its a massive parcel of land in a real growth area. I'd be looking at breaking the site up and incorporating aged care , retail, serviced apartments (for lease or purchase). It potentially provides on going revenue and financial growth. Could do something amazing with vacant land of that size, rather than be fixed on using specifically as a sporting facility. I'm working on an aged care facility out in the SE. suburbs, (I work in architecture) the money it generates is colossal....It just requires some fluid thinking and planning.

I'd like to know if the option has been explored of making the site a mixed use facility. Its a massive parcel of land in a real growth area. I'd be looking at breaking the site up and incorporating aged care , retail, serviced apartments (for lease or purchase). It potentially provides on going revenue and financial growth. Could do something amazing with vacant land of that size, rather than be fixed on using specifically as a sporting facility. I'm working on an aged care facility out in the SE. suburbs, (I work in architecture) the money it generates is colossal....It just requires some fluid thinking and planning.
I agree with diversification to create a sustainable model around owned land, but not aged care, I work around the sector and would not want our club to use that around a sporting facility, sure do it somewhere else not as connected.

I'm sure there a infinite options for a filled in tip located in a green wedge...

PS. Just no.
The initial design is using up to 70% of the land parcel from memory. The remaining 30% MUST be banked for future expansion.

Or how much $$$ they make from the sale of such machines and what they do with those funds? Surely donated to gamblers help organisations the way they posture about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back