List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably coz other than looking giant Ginbey can't get the ball and going by our crappy fitness staff Hewett has a random foot problem and is prob gonna miss all year so no faith in them getting him back.

But hopefully Ginbey builds into the season and hopefully Hewett gets a string of games mid-late season

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably coz other than looking giant Ginbey can't get the ball and going by our crappy fitness staff Hewett has a random foot problem and is prob gonna miss all year so no faith in them getting him back.

But hopefully Ginbey builds into the season and hopefully Hewett gets a string of games mid-late season

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
You know Hewett had the issue for 2 years prior to being drafted and has jut had it fixed, right?

I'm all for splitting if we have two solid B+ mid outside players. If we get 2 wingers this draft then we are complete. The next draft will be just to draft best players unless ginbey/Hewitt turn out not good in that case but the draft again for mid

But what's the gap with splits? The top 6 is all solid as brick equal.

Harley Reid exclusive: West Coast Eagles star opens up on encouraging, ‘nerve-wracking’ AFL debut​

Harley Reid slept in and skipped breakfast - but he didn’t skip a beat in the opening quarter of an AFL debut that showed he’s ready to live up to the considerable hype.

Reid displayed more than a few glimpses of his immense talent with a sensational first term against Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, registering an equal team-high eight disposals, two clearances and two inside-50s in only 18 minutes of footy.

The No.1 draftee spoke exclusively to The West Australian moments after finishing his first game in the AFL, detailing his nerves and excitement leading into the game.

“It was pretty nerve-wracking when you walk out there and see all the fans that are around, but I enjoyed my time out there,” Reid said.

“Once you get on the bus to come down and you get underground, that was the moment where I thought ‘it’s here, my time has come’.

“(My first disposal) settled the nerves a lot but I was super stoked with the way we took it to them in the first quarter, I felt like we matched them well and showed what we wanted to show in the team meeting before.

“It’s surreal when you walk out there and there’s a huge stadium around you and the atmosphere is pretty cool. It is something I will cherish forever.”

Reid’s nerves weren’t too bad on Sunday morning, with the teenager admitting he slept through breakfast just hours before his debut.

right........I'm sure his missus had nothing to do with this!

Ppl going Way too early on ginbey. He showed last year he can get the ball and prior to the Port game he had 1 quater of a scratch match and then a concussion leading into round 1.

Patience is not this board's strong point.

It's not BigFooty unless you can write off second year players, especially if they won a Rising Star nomination last year as well.

Ppl going Way too early on ginbey. He showed last year he can get the ball and prior to the Port game he had 1 quater of a scratch match and then a concussion leading into round 1.

Patience is not this board's strong point.
I think what grates is that generally patience is needed for scrawny mids who have never played against men and need to adapt to the pace of senior footy etc. The physical side of things.

Ginbey has the physical side of things already wrapped up and has played two years of senior footy (one WAFL league and one AFL).

The way he appears to generally look flat-footed and reactive, despite being a natural athlete and playing two years of senior footy, is why people are a bit concerned I guess.

I think he just needs to find a role that suits him. Not sure it is inside midfield.

I think what grates is that generally patience is needed for scrawny mids who have never played against men and need to adapt to the pace of senior footy etc. The physical side of things.

Ginbey has the physical side of things already wrapped up and has played two years of senior footy (one WAFL league and one AFL).

The way he appears to generally look flat-footed and reactive, despite being a natural athlete and playing two years of senior footy, is why people are a bit concerned I guess.

I think he just needs to find a role that suits him. Not sure it is inside midfield.
Ginbey needs to spend significant time on Tom Green this week. If he’s going to reach his ceiling, modelling his game on someone like Green is how he’s going to do it IMO. Use his strength and learn the body positioning and running patterns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

coz Ginbey is a plodder and Hewett is hope only at this stage. Harley is so far better that all on the list.

I get Sheezel is a gun, but he would be back east already had we taken him in 2022.

Cadman was always going to GWS, we couldn’t match their offer for #1.

So Ginbey and Hewett vs Wardlaw. TBH it isn’t even close currently, we are well ahead.

Lots of water to go under the bridge, but splitting where appropriate (or forced upon the club due to draft tampering) is the right move.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah based on the sample size of one season (and knowing that realistically Cadman and Sheezel weren't seriously in our mix), splitting is so far the right move. This is of course assuming expected career trajectories of Ginbey and Hewett, Wardlaw, and no injuries (touch wood) that impact on their development significantly.

At the risk of derailing this thread, why are some already writing off Ginbey and Hewett?

no longer shiny

543nbi.jpg

I think he has shown enough so far with some reservations but projecting similar to midfielders in his draft year in the 5 to 12 draft range

Weekend games disposals

Tsatas 12
Mackenzie 14
Clarke 13
Ginbey 12
Phillipou 12
Hollands 8
Fletcher 18

At the risk of derailing this thread, why are some already writing off Ginbey and Hewett?

Because they are impatient and misinformed about what’s to be expected by first and second year players and their progression into AFL.

Probably the same short sighted, ignorant people who prematurely put the highlighter pen 🖊 through the names of these players after their first season.

Glass
Embley
Sheppard
McGovern
Le Cras
Cox
McKenzie

Patience grasshopper …. patience.
A commodity that’s in very short supply on Big Footy.

Because they are impatient and misinformed about what’s to be expected by first and second year players and their progression into AFL.

Probably the same short sighted, ignorant people who prematurely put the highlighter pen 🖊 through the names of these players after their first season.

Glass
Embley
Sheppard
McGovern
Le Cras
Cox
McKenzie

world will GIF

Probably the same short sighted, ignorant people who prematurely put the highlighter pen through the names of these players after their first season.

Glass
Embley
Sheppard
McGovern
Le Cras
Cox
McKenzie

Apart from embley, none of those were midfielders.

What do you think about ginbey given criticism from some quarters?

Apart from embley, none of those were midfielders.

What do you think about ginbey given criticism from some quarters?

Think he is tracking nicely, he is trying to do a bit to much but he hasn’t had ( last year in particular) much help.

Even harder to make an impact if you don’t have quality experienced player along side you.

Easy to criticise young kids.

Put him in a better side and he would be doing better, pretty much the same for all the kids.

Sheezel had an amazing first year but was essentially played of a HBF.

Looking around at the midfield players taken near him only Hollands is looking a better prospect.

My rule of thumb is judge them after season four.

The pick split thing is also a factor as you need to see what impact Hewett and Ginbey combined are making in their fourth season to make a valid assessment of the merit of the pick split.

I get Sheezel is a gun, but he would be back east already had we taken him in 2022.

Cadman was always going to GWS, we couldn’t match their offer for #1.

So Ginbey and Hewett vs Wardlaw. TBH it isn’t even close currently, we are well ahead.

Lots of water to go under the bridge, but splitting where appropriate (or forced upon the club due to draft tampering) is the right move.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Compare the pair (then add on the whole extra young gun we got)

Screenshot_20240318_135345_Brave.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back