Player Watch #13 Oliver Florent

Remove this Banner Ad

b3ebc66265ef6bd495af79a6160b9352

Oliver Florent
Young speedster Oliver Florent has become a crucial element of coach John Longmire’s team since the Sydney Swans secured him with their first selection at the 2016 AFL Draft. The Victorian has shown glimpses of exhilarating footy on a wing, most memorably when he jagged a runaway goal in Round 4, 2018 to seal a gripping victory for the Swans over the Bulldogs. But Florent, who’s also spent time on the inside of the contest, is determined to continue to grow his game as a hybrid midfielder in 2020.

Oliver Florent
DOB: 22 July 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #11, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Beaumaris (Vic)/Mentone Grammar (Vic)/Sandringham U18

Florent isn't that slight. What are people on about?

Also, there are heaps of relatively lightly built players who don't struggle with physical contact at all. We had one playing off the HB last year and he went alright. One has been mentioned in the last few posts as loving to dodge ASADA testers. Another used to be our captain (edit: actually, two used to be our captains).

Last edited:
Florent would be really pushing up hill to get a game this season. While Lloyd has been able to make the most of his 70-odd kg frame, he still goes missing when the heat is really on. I don't think we can accommodate anymore passengers in the side for finals, already have too many in Rohan, Lloyd and Tippet. Arguably throw Hewett under that bus too.

Needs to bulk up a bit before he's going to be effective, or he'll just be another Hiscox.

There's no ******* way we get 100 games out of him with his build.
Did you ever see Paul Kelly when he first played? He was older than Florent and just as skinny. Lets not make assumptions about an 18yo who like lots other kids around his age hasn't filled out yet.

Did you ever see Paul Kelly when he first played? He was older than Florent and just as skinny. Lets not make assumptions about an 18yo who like lots other kids around his age hasn't filled out yet.
Not to mention the great Robbie Flower and Gary Wilson. If the skinny kid is good enough, quick enough and smart enough he will go ok.

Lets not lob him in with great players. Those guys had an almost wanton disregard for their own well being, as well as excellent skills.

I'm not sold on Florent and I'm expecting it to be another Vespremi/Lamb pick.

However, there's always hope, but these days players dont do well with slight frames and Lloyd and Daniel from the Dogs are exceptions to the rule. Has anyone seen the kid? He still looks 15.

Lets not lob him in with great players. Those guys had an almost wanton disregard for their own well being, as well as excellent skills.

However, there's always hope, but these days players dont do well with slight frames and Lloyd and Daniel from the Dogs are exceptions to the rule. Has anyone seen the kid? He still looks 15.

Easy tiger. He's also 6ft. No reason he can't develop an AFL frame. He'll probably end up bigger and heavier than Hanners

Oliver Florent draft day was 2kg below Dan Hannebery's 2016 weight.

And he has the best part of an inch on him. He's only 18 and runs a 15 beep so what's there is lean af.

I think we're safe from Cale Morton mk2

If he has his late father's courage he wont shirk it out on the field. Hope the kid makes it.

Oliver Florent draft day was 2kg below Dan Hannebery's 2016 weight.

And he has the best part of an inch on him. He's only 18 and runs a 15 beep so what's there is lean af.

I think we're safe from Cale Morton mk2
This is Dan Hannebery we're talking about, one the toughest, hardest and best mids in the comp.

Florent looks every bit a skinny kid, so lets see how he develops. Like I said for me, I'm lumping in the most likely won't category, but who really knows until he gets a crack.

Florent absolutely could and I expect will, make it and be a solid contributor. I just think that expecting him to make an instant impact this season is too optimistic and it will take him a season or two at neafl level to get the body he needs.

This is Dan Hannebery we're talking about, one the toughest, hardest and best mids in the comp.

Florent looks every bit a skinny kid, so lets see how he develops. Like I said for me, I'm lumping in the most likely won't category, but who really knows until he gets a crack.
I admit I haven't read the whole thread chunky but I'm really interested to know on what basis you have come to this conclusion about Florent?

I mean are you telling me that when we drafted Hanners you had him pegged from day one to become one the toughest, hardest and best mids in the comp? I'll be honest and say I didn't.

I know there is history in our drafting but I still think we should let the kid pull on a boot and have a crack before we put a cross through him.

I admit I haven't read the whole thread chunky but I'm really interested to know on what basis you have come to this conclusion about Florent?

I mean are you telling me that when we drafted Hanners you had him pegged from day one to become one the toughest, hardest and best mids in the comp? I'll be honest and say I didn't.

I know there is history in our drafting but I still think we should let the kid pull on a boot and have a crack before we put a cross through him.

there is no basis to it.

fwiw i reckon caleb daniel is the opposite of what you are talking about. daniel is a schneider type - built low to the ground and hard to move off a line. he isnt a slight frame at all and so is a very poor comparison with Florent.

i know a tennis coach who is is both related to him and was good mates with his old man - he reckons he goes all right and thats good enough for me.

As i've said before everything after about 5-6 is luck of the draw and development anyway. It doesnt matter whether you are pick 15 or pick 51 - its luck whether a spot opens up and how much you want it. AJ was drafted as a hff and we lacked an extra tall defender. Ted and Reg were both forwards. JPK couldnt get a run somewhere else. Its in our hands and the kids. I simply dont see the need to express any opinion on a pick at this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hanners was a gem from day 1, had that fearlessness that made him an instant star. Again, you never really know with players like Florent. He may stack on a few kgs, bulk up and become a running machine, or he could walk the well trodden Jed Lamb path.

Personally, I was disappointed that the club went after a kid that had average ball skills and a slight frame, but may well prove to be an excellent signing. If Longmire is considering him from round 1, then there's something there. Apparently he's good between the ears, which will help him throughout his first season and obligatory season ending injury (welcome to the club, kid).

Really interested in your thoughts on Will Heywood, seeing as he weighs 1kg more than Florent.
Don't really have any thoughts on Will Hayward. Will say one thing about him though, he looks like he's got a muscular frame and he can certainly tank up a bit in the off season. He's going to be good competition for Towers and that half-flank/wing position.

My guess is that the Swans are looking at him as a bit of a project player, but should get a few games throughout the season. He's a worker but time will tell if he's got it where it counts, between the ears, because Towers sure as s**t doesn't.

Apparently Hayward had a bit about him in the intra and Florent did alright himself. This weekend against #lolnorf will be our first real look at the players, so reserve judgement until then.

Hanners was a gem from day 1, had that fearlessness that made him an instant star. Again, you never really know with players like Florent. He may stack on a few kgs, bulk up and become a running machine, or he could walk the well trodden Jed Lamb path.

Personally, I was disappointed that the club went after a kid that had average ball skills and a slight frame, but may well prove to be an excellent signing. If Longmire is considering him from round 1, then there's something there. Apparently he's good between the ears, which will help him throughout his first season and obligatory season ending injury (welcome to the club, kid).

Don't really have any thoughts on Will Hayward. Will say one thing about him though, he looks like he's got a muscular frame and he can certainly tank up a bit in the off season. He's going to be good competition for Towers and that half-flank/wing position.

My guess is that the Swans are looking at him as a bit of a project player, but should get a few games throughout the season. He's a worker but time will tell if he's got it where it counts, between the ears, because Towers sure as s**t doesn't.

Apparently Hayward had a bit about him in the intra and Florent did alright himself. This weekend against #lolnorf will be our first real look at the players, so reserve judgement until then.

Haywood didn't play the intraclub so I don't know where you got that information from. But as for his frame if that is true for him then it's true for Florent as they both are wing/half forwards and the same size.

Fair enough you don't like the Florent pick but at least be consistent

You clearly havent reserved your judgement chunky. You've already written him off on the basis he isnt build like ollie wines.

Florent will be fine. I don't think there is a risk he will be a bust. At worst he will be a 2nd-3rd round pick rather than pick 11.

See 150 games in him.

Florent will be fine. I don't think there is a risk he will be a bust. At worst he will be a 2nd-3rd round pick rather than pick 11.

See 150 games in him.

I reckon he will always be a first round pick.

Can we give the kid a break!
No two players are the same.
Though in 1962 Geelong's Stuart Lord was reported, but the umpire was not sure if the player was his twin brother Alistair Lord. (Alistair won the Brownlow).

Last edited:
People are seriously writing this kid off? Would have gone higher had his off field things not been happening.

Honestly we picked the kid with the highest scope. Watch him prove the doubters wrong. We needed pace we got it.

Who else would you have picked? Everyone from 11-25 has a question or two.

I'm happy we went with the two blokes with the highest potential.

Personally I rate Hayward fractionally higher but that isn't saying I'm disappointed in the Florent pick.

Let's back the kids they are Swans now!

I was hoping for Simpkin personally.

Look I had him slightly ahead (purely on just talent) but there wasn't much between them. People would whinge we picked a bloke off a major injury as well. No one knows how Simpkin will come back as well.

Plus we do know Florent performs in big games.

It's a good selection.

I was hoping for Simpkin personally.

Still not in full training at North, and more genuine concerns over midfield ability. Florent projects better as a genuine midfielder, however Simpkin's finishing ability looks pretty special IMO

Brodie and Simpkin both limited preseasons whilst Florent comes in day 1 with an AFL ready tank and fully fit. Good early signs for me.

Still not in full training at North, and more genuine concerns over midfield ability. Florent projects better as a genuine midfielder, however Simpkin's finishing ability looks pretty special IMO

Brodie and Simpkin both limited preseasons whilst Florent comes in day 1 with an AFL ready tank and fully fit. Good early signs for me.

Agreed I'm liking the selection more and more. Plus if Simpkin won't be a genuine mid that personally would be over paying. Plus we got Hayward as that HF/mid

Remove this Banner Ad

Back