Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

The past does not matter, only what he is doing now.
If Dear was just getting 5 kicks and scoring 2.2 each match, I might be sympathetic to the view that he needs to do more.

His numbers are good all over.
Reports all confirm he works hard.
He didn’t kick a goal in two of the 6 games.

Averaging 1.8 goals a game at VFL level.

What do you say about that?

The past does not matter, only what he is doing now.
If Dear was just getting 5 kicks and scoring 2.2 each match, I might be sympathetic to the view that he needs to do more.

His numbers are good all over.
Reports all confirm he works hard.

And multiple track watchers and Box Hill watchers on here have said he’s not ready for senior footy ¯\(ツ)

This week we have seen Lewis for 2 top 10 picks and now Calsher Dear being compared to the best forward and top 5 player of modern football after 5 games in the VFL. This is dizzy stuff folks.

He was a top 5 draft pick and only slid because of his attitude in draft interviews which spooked Richmond, not based on his talent. You’ve also not addressed Bris’ relevant points about the footy that Dear has missed prior to being drafted. Comparatively Buddy was playing senior WAFL games prior to being drafted.
Senior WAFL games? No he played one and hardly set the world on fire!

Might be a chance to completely change the look off our forward line. Bring Reeves in to stand at full forward ( Jones should stand him) put Weddle at CHF, and Calsher goes to a pocket. What is there to lose?

Senior WAFL games? No he played one and hardly set the world on fire!

So I shouldn't have made it a plural. And I never said he set the world on fire. My point stands that this pointless comparison between Dear and Franklin based on their weight is beyond silly given, as Brishawk rightly pointed out, that Franklin and Dear had very different lead-ins to their first year on an AFL list. Buddy was playing against grown men at 17.

So I shouldn't have made it a plural. And I never said he set the world on fire. My point stands that this pointless comparison between Dear and Franklin based on their weight is beyond silly given, as Brishawk rightly pointed out, that Franklin and Dear had very different lead-ins to their first year on an AFL list. Buddy was playing against grown men at 17.
“Buddy was playing against grown men at 17”
Again no, he played a game against grown men at 17.
Calsher is playing against grown men now and dominating ( from all reports), by the way I’m not against holding him back in the VFL but people talking about generational talents and how they played before the entered the system is irrelevant IMO. James Hird was a generational talent and where was he drafted and what was he playing like before he was drafted?

“Buddy was playing against grown men at 17”
Again no, he played a game against grown men at 17.
Calsher is playing against grown men now and dominating ( from all reports), by the way I’m not against holding him back in the VFL but people talking about generational talents and how they played before the entered the system is irrelevant IMO. James Hird was a generational talent and where was he drafted and what was he playing like before he was drafted?

You are arguing pointless semantics - he played against grown men at 17 (1 WAFL game, 1 WAFL reserves game). So it was two games if you want to get super petty about it as you seem keen on doing. You are once again ignoring that Calsher and Buddy had VERY different paths to the draft which is all people's points are when saying hey maybe a Buddy Franklin comparison is a bit much.

But you're overall point about generational talents not necessarily being picked up in the first round - absolutely. Maybe Calsher gets there. The point is though - doing fairly well in 5 VFL games is a great start but maybe just put a lid on it?

All summer we had people saying Watson was going to kick a bag in round 1 and had the lid firmly off. You then have dipshits saying he is a bust after 2-3 games. It's great to be excited about our young talent - but putting unreasonable expectations on them isn't exactly constructive.

Last edited:
Do you even pay any heed to my post mate. He is 5 games in and only played footy over the last 18 months after a sabbatical. Him being introduced to AFL football doesn't mean he needs to be head cahuna in fact as a KP its preferable that he isn't. If he is good enough he will get the ball even playing as third banana. A few months makes a difference. It builds his body to the rigours of playing football every week. Which he may not. He might have weeks off here and there when he is sore. Like i said as first banana he will be double and tripled team with AFL bodies especially this week as he has no support. Think of whats best for the kid playing him this week is just isn't
He might as well get used to being double teamed on his debut as it’s going to carry through when he tears the comp apart in the years to come! Reckon a debut against the doggies is a huge chance.

Cant say im ready to declare dear that kind of talent but i hope you are right! 😀

It seems like instinctive footy play and an appetite for the contest and work
A fairly athletic body which can be improved in the system

I’d say he’ll reach Mitch Lewis levels at least.

Lots of good arguments for playing him or not playing him this week.

Larry David Reaction GIF

Lots of good arguments for playing him or not playing him this week.

Larry David Reaction GIF

The track watchers win for me - majority of those are saying he's not quite ready. Let the kid continue to kill it at VFL level for 10-15 games then consider whether he can do it at the senior level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy was not drafted as a generational talent.
He was so skinny that he was not recognised as a proper KPP in the AFL until his 3rd season.

I remember after another Port thrashing, commentators asking where Buddy was going in his career (maybe 2006) as he barely gained any possession. Not long after, the lad found his feet, along with the team. Generational talent or not, still took 2 years to really establish himself.

Might be a chance to completely change the look off our forward line. Bring Reeves in to stand at full forward ( Jones should stand him) put Weddle at CHF, and Calsher goes to a pocket. What is there to lose?
I think I'd rather just play one less in the fwd line, give the others more space... Reeves would more get in the way

You are arguing pointless semantics - he played against grown men at 17 (1 WAFL game, 1 WAFL reserves game). So it was two games if you want to get super petty about it as you seem keen on doing. You are once again ignoring that Calsher and Buddy had VERY different paths to the draft which is all people's points are when saying hey maybe a Buddy Franklin comparison is a bit much.

Also James Hird was a F/S pick back when they would predominantly get picked up in the later rounds so that couldn't be more of a moot point. But you're overall point about generational talents not necessarily being picked up in the first round - absolutely. Maybe Calsher gets there. The point is though - doing fairly well in 5 VFL games is a great start but maybe just put a lid on it?

All summer we had people saying Watson was going to kick a bag in round 1 and had the lid firmly off. You then have dipshits saying he is a bust after 2-3 games. It's great to be excited about our young talent - but putting unreasonable expectations on them isn't exactly constructive.
Hird was not a F/S - his dad only played four games. He was pick 79.

The track watchers win for me - majority of those are saying he's not quite ready. Let the kid continue to kill it at VFL level for 10-15 games then consider whether he can do it at the senior level.

It's a fair point and you'd guess those guys are probably talking to people around the club who might let on in relation to where he's at.

But then roughly 6 weeks or so ago we were being told to temper expectations because he wasn't likely to find his feet at VFL level for a while.

Either way he's playing sooner rather than later given the state of our forward stocks.

Unless Mitch Lewis is on the park, we really don't have a tall forward in the traditional sense. Chol is a great hybrid, Ramma is on the way via the cape, then it's back to Jack, there's a real smokey in DGB and then that's where the depth ends.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back