Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Lots of good arguments for playing him or not playing him this week.

Larry David Reaction GIF
Yep. I see both sides of the argument and don’t know which way to lean :think:

If we bring him in it’s due to a lack of tall forward options and he has shown good form at BH. Way above anyone’s original expectations when we drafted him.

On the other hand, is it too soon? Are we throwing him to the wolves and could it damage the confidence he’s currently showing at BH?

Aghhhhhh. * me I don’t know. Would definitely add an additional level of excitement heading into the game though (as a spectator).

Ok. So we just ignore the games he didn't do well in.
You’re using goals as the only metric which isn’t fair. Yes he’s averaging around 2 goals a game at VFL level. I reckon at the start of the season the majority of us would be happy with him kicking a goal per game and showing ‘glimpses’. Would be more if he kicked 4.2 instead of 2.4 on the weekend.

It’s also his presence, the way he launches at the ball and hits packs, his tackling and pressure for a key forward is fantastic. He has sticky hands as well.

But sure, let’s just look at how many goals he’s kicked.

Like every draftee, he is not the finished product and has work to do.
Watson has work to do too.

The debate was never if Dear was the finished product, or not.
We ALL AGREE he is not.

...and given we are not "flush with key forwards" he is the best available to play.
So he should play bc his form merits it.
That is all.

Everything else is BS.
You literally wrote “he is not ready”. No one said a thing about being the finished product.

Now….

The club thinks he might be ready, but like I wrote, we’ll find out this weekend if he was or not.

Bit of egg on face in this thread.
Not really, the selection could have gone either way. There were clear pros and cons to him playing. I think we're all excited to see him have a run so hardly anything to be smug about.

I'm very keen to see how he goes, just hope he pulls up alright after.

“Son of late former club legend, takes as FS smokey in last years draft, gets named in team in the first ten rounds” is somehow bad news is a strange take

Literally nobody said it was bad news though.

Gunston has invested considerable time in Calsher, too. Fittingly, Gunston was the first to tell Dear that he would be playing this Sunday, the pair sharing not only forward craft, but the trauma of having lost their fathers in 2022.

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunston has invested considerable time in Calsher, too. Fittingly, Gunston was the first to tell Dear that he would be playing this Sunday, the pair sharing not only forward craft, but the trauma of having lost their fathers in 2022.

Sad Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Well ain't that a bit bloody beautiful.

Hoping we have Greg on board for the guernsey presentation?

Club social media and website has not mentioned his selection but The Age has. Oops

What an incredibly quick rise by Calsher. From almost being overlooked in the draft and as Father/Son to debuting in Round 8 ! Hope he just goes about his business as usual . Good luck! We need another KPF , could be yours!

Club social media and website has not mentioned his selection but The Age has. Oops

Given the story behind it all potentially there is a bit of work going on - filming calls to family etc.

I feel like there was some ‘read between the lines’ info a couple of pages back about this debut.

I see a star in the making here, might not show it in game one (or he might) but I reckon he’s coming. All the best Calsher.

The club have had Andy Collins talk directly about the debut of Clasher and why.

Read the AGE article.

The club have had Andy Collins talk directly about the debut of Clasher and why.

Read the AGE article.

Yes i saw the age article 30 minutes ago and it must have been brewing over the last day or so to get the comments from Collins.

Questioning why club social media and website have been trumped by a media outlet. At least push it out at the same time. It is not like it was a scoop by the age. The club had input and it has been put up on X and other social media by other folks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back