Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Dylan Moore. Extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

4 weeks to full recovery from the time of diagnosis with EBV would require a lot of luck. More than 70% of adult cases experience some degree of post-viral lethargy, I think the Hawks club doctor is taking a bit of a stab in the dark there. If there is zero lethargy, he could be right in as little as two weeks, but that would be quite unusual.
I didn't really want to post this but my Glandular fever (Epstein Barr virus and Cytomegaloviris) hit me in 1995 . I've still got it (Chronic fatigue) and need to manage it carefully.

On the bright side, if you eat healthy and you're young you can get over it. Also, Dylan is fit as well. Eliminating stress is vital. I'm pretty sure the club know all this.

I'm hoping he's fully fit and over it by rounds 3 to 4.

I didn't really want to post this but my Glandular fever (Epstein Barr virus and Cytomegaloviris) hit me in 1995 . I've still got it (Chronic fatigue) and need to manage it carefully.

On the bright side, if you eat healthy and you're young you can get over it. Also, Dylan is fit as well. Eliminating stress is vital. I'm pretty sure the club know all this.

I'm hoping he's fully fit and over it by rounds 3 to 4.
Yeah, I had glandular fever in my very early 20s and it took me a long time to get over it; I relapsed several times because I had no understanding that I hadn't actually got over it. (You think you're fine and then bang, you're not.)

Now I have Long Covid and elements of it are manifesting in a very similar way to chronic fatigue (or it has triggered CF, it's hard to know because it's all so new) - and I strongly suspect that my past run in with glandular fever is either related to me reacting so badly this time or maybe demonstrates some disposition to being vulnerable to certain viruses.

Really hope Moore doesn't react in the same way, and that he takes the recovery time he needs. It's almost impossible to know - I certainly thought I was ok and was at uni and playing sports etc, with a super busy lifestyle, and it would just hit me out of nowhere. But hopefully he's in a great environment and the medics are on top of it and know a lot more about it now than they did a couple of decades ago.

Yeah, I had glandular fever in my very early 20s and it took me a long time to get over it; I relapsed several times because I had no understanding that I hadn't actually got over it. (You think you're fine and then bang, you're not.)

Now I have Long Covid and elements of it are manifesting in a very similar way to chronic fatigue (or it has triggered CF, it's hard to know because it's all so new) - and I strongly suspect that my past run in with glandular fever is either related to me reacting so badly this time or maybe demonstrates some disposition to being vulnerable to certain viruses.

Really hope Moore doesn't react in the same way, and that he takes the recovery time he needs. It's almost impossible to know - I certainly thought I was ok and was at uni and playing sports etc, with a super busy lifestyle, and it would just hit me out of nowhere. But hopefully he's in a great environment and the medics are on top of it and know a lot more about it now than they did a couple of decades ago.
There are some new developments. Neuroscientists in QLD
Low-dose naltrexone therapy is sometimes used to relieve pain and fatigue associated with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Researchers are also looking at its effectiveness in treating multiple sclerosis, Crohn's disease, and long COVID.9 Nov 2023

I hope this helps for those suffering from this wretched disease.

Spiritual captain.

Stepped up while our captain on the other end of the ground spat the dummy as it just wasn't his day.

He will be our next captain I have no doubt about it. That slips catch with the back to the ball as the second smallest player on the ground was inspirational.

Spiritual captain.

Stepped up while our captain on the other end of the ground spat the dummy as it just wasn't his day.

He will be our next captain I have no doubt about it. That slips catch with the back to the ball as the second smallest player on the ground was inspirational.
He is just about the most Hawthorn person getting around. Future president as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All great (and better players than Moore at this point) but Moore is the best shot at goal under tackle pressure.
Think of P. Daicos & E. Betts. Did it year in year out for 250 & 300+ games

Plenty more have done it better than Dylan in the past 40 years too of you take the time to analyse it.

Think of P. Daicos & E. Betts. Did it year in year out for 250 & 300+ games

Plenty more have done it better than Dylan in the past 40 years too of you take the time to analyse it.

Plenty of small forwards better than Moore, did much more as players, had better careers - and they took a lot of shots that missed too.

My point is that Moore converts the best of the lot under pressure in open play.

Quite a remarkable game from Moore especially considering he had just recovered from glandular fever.
He is inspirational.
We have probably undersold his performance on the weekend.

To come back and be close to BOG for us just four weeks after being diagnosed with Glandular Fever is some feat.

He is a tough little bugger no doubt about it.

Moore really is one of the most underrated players in the AFL. Very few players in the AFL have the attributes he does. He's a real point of difference. He was back to his 2022 best last weekend (certainly didn't have a bad 2023, just wasn't as lethal). I hope he can get his goalscoring up this season because he would be all that more valuable. One of our best players and the best forwards in the competition (as well as one of my favourites).

Last edited:
Moore really is one of the most underrated players in the AFL. Very few players in the AFL have the attributes he does.
Pretty sure he's the only player averaging 17 disposals & 3 goals a game in 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back