Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

For those more in the know with vfl and training, is he working hard enough from a running perspective?

Seemingly has all the tools but without the running it may be hard to find a spot in the team for a while. Get the feeling he needs to be a lot stronger and fitter, but plenty of time yet.

Seemingly has all the tools but without the running it may be hard to find a spot in the team for a while. Get the feeling he needs to be a lot stronger and fitter, but plenty of time yet.
Maybe a lot harder, too...

Jeka is the most talented KPF on our list, including Lewis, who took almost 6-7 years to "breakout"
He needs to work on his game and physical development, like ALL 20 year olds.
Let's not get apocalyptic over nothing.
Well said.

Jeka is the most talented KPF on our list, including Lewis, who took almost 6-7 years to "breakout"
I think a few on here forget he's only 20, I know I did.

Has the tools to be an AFL player but his Box Hill form us a concern. Seems to have gone backwards from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree but talent only gets you so far, their are plenty of talented players that never make it.

Development isn’t linear but is there not signs for questions now?

(Maybe he is carrying an injury to)

Last edited:

Minus Franklin tbh, he kicked 73 as a 20 year old including 7 in a final.

Patience is important with Jeka. I admit I gave up on Lewis mid way through last year.
Late draft pick but has some attributes to make it just need time and hard work from him. He’s young he has time and hope seeing Callow get a debut will make him hungry.

Last edited:
He’s young he has time and hope seeing Callow get a debut with make him hungry.
Yeah this could have a positive or negative impact. It comes down to the individual and their drive and belief. Confidence is low at present and you can see it in his body language

We know his talent. That much has been obvious from the start. If he had the rest of the attributes to put that talent to work in the AFL this early in his career then he'd have gone as a top 5 pick, not in the rookie draft.

And it's frustrating but the reality is that players rarely ever improve linearly. They'll show spikes of improvement and then regress before improving again. As long as he's bringing the right attitude then he deserves the time to work through it.

Does anyone read the Box Hill reviews?

Emerson Jeka (9 disposals, 3 marks)​

“Jeka’s third quarter was his best quarter for the day. We were after Jeka to get a bit more involved, a bit higher up the ground. When he plays with really high intensity and effort, he can produce what he did in the third quarter. He’s a bit inconsistent at the moment, so he’s working on that and his effort over four quarters.”

Does anyone read the Box Hill reviews?

Emerson Jeka (9 disposals, 3 marks)​

“Jeka’s third quarter was his best quarter for the day. We were after Jeka to get a bit more involved, a bit higher up the ground. When he plays with really high intensity and effort, he can produce what he did in the third quarter. He’s a bit inconsistent at the moment, so he’s working on that and his effort over four quarters.”
This is the summary of previous posts basically.

Same question for anyone at trainings, does he work hard enough?

He looks like he is labouring to me. He isn't the most agile and seems to have a touch of the worpels where this has gone backwards. Looks like he is playing with the handbrake on.

Did read the write up and the questions on intensity are a recurring theme.

Need the penny to drop like Mitch Lewis and as he is 20 there is time.

He looks like he is labouring to me. He isn't the most agile and seems to have a touch of the worpels where this has gone backwards. Looks like he is playing with the handbrake on.

Did read the write up and the questions on intensity are a recurring theme.

Need the penny to drop like Mitch Lewis and as he is 20 there is time.
Growth spurt 🤔

Minus Franklin tbh, he kicked 73 as a 20 year old including 7 in a final.
That's your contribution?

To point out that at age 20, in an inconsistent team with garbage delivery & after playing less than 5 games, he's worse than one of the all-time great forwards?

Thanks man!

I agree but talent only gets you so far, their are plenty of talented players that never make it.

Development isn’t linear but is there not signs for questions now?

(Maybe he is carrying an injury to)
panic gets you nowhere annd doesn't even make for good conversation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back