Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If a coach can’t coach intensity they should give it away.
So it’s the coaches fault the player isn’t intense, is it?

Absolute rubbish.

As a coach you assist / help players with developing skills, reading the play, making the right decisions, understanding a game plan and their role. You may also be able to make them “play for you”, by developing a close relationship based on mutual respect / admiration.

However IMHO (having coached for 15 years) you can’t reach into a players brain/heart and flick a switch to make them more intense on the ground.

If a player can’t motivate themself to play with intensity, it falls to them, not the coach.

Last edited:

Hope it works out for him. Seems to be one of those players who's slightly above average for the VFL and not quite AFL standard though.

The AFL clearly has a problem with KPP. Sure he has skills and I wish him well, but sides have to be slightly desperate to haul in a delisted rookie who has been given 5+ years to get to AFL level.
Not really. it's why ruckmen keep getting poached. Tall blokes who have skills are rare. In this case Jeka just needs to get his body right and he'll be a serviceable player.

Not really. it's why ruckmen keep getting poached. Tall blokes who have skills are rare. In this case Jeka just needs to get his body right and he'll be a serviceable player.
That’s my point, they are too rare. The way the game is currently being played priorities them. I wonder if this can be changed.

That’s my point, they are too rare. The way the game is currently being played priorities them. I wonder if this can be changed.
It's never been any different to my mind. If anything I feel that key forwards are less important now than they once were. Collingwood just won the flag with a couple of role-players up forward.

Jeka, a 22 year old smooth mover and high leaper with wonderful kicking skills at 200cm, was always a good chance to get another gig.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's all between the ears with him. Regardless of his skill set and body if he doesn't change his attitude and start competing with vigour and mongrel he won't make it IMO.

Of all our delistings this year Jeka is the only one I would have liked to have kept for another year.

He has rare skills for a guy his size.

He's done well to land at Geelong. There is a spot for him down back with Esava gone and as much as we hate them no one can doubt that the Cats are very good at player development.

Anyway best of luck to him.

It's all between the ears with him. Regardless of his skill set and body if he doesn't change his attitude and start competing with vigour and mongrel he won't make it IMO.
To quote Craig McRae: "You'd be surprised how much of this game is played between the ears".

I was not surprised but really disappointed when Emerson Jeka was delisted especially given we lack tall KPPs. I thought Jek showed enough in the finals restricting Garoni, Darcy and Day to a combined total of 1 goal 5 behinds while averaging 16 disposals and 8 marks after a season impacted by injury. Late in the last quarter against Footscray Jek ran back and jumped sideways in front of an opponent to take a crucial strong one grab contested mark which I hoped would be viewed as career defining. He a well liked quiet respectful young man whose issue is playing in a comfort zone when he needs to be more aggressive. He got good footy smarts and elite skills so I'm happy he has been provided with another opportunity on an AFL list. Geelong are a really good fit. I rate Jek higher than Esava who has limited footy smarts and less skill. Time to move on knowing we usually get our delistings right, however I think he'll have a successful career at Geelong so this one might hurt us.

I was not surprised but really disappointed when Emerson Jeka was delisted especially given we lack tall KPPs. I thought Jek showed enough in the finals restricting Garoni, Darcy and Day to a combined total of 1 goal 5 behinds while averaging 16 disposals and 8 marks after a season impacted by injury. Late in the last quarter against Footscray Jek ran back and jumped sideways in front of an opponent to take a crucial strong one grab contested mark which I hoped would be viewed as career defining. He a well liked quiet respectful young man whose issue is playing in a comfort zone when he needs to be more aggressive. He got good footy smarts and elite skills so I'm happy he has been provided with another opportunity on an AFL list. Geelong are a really good fit. I rate Jek higher than Esava who has limited footy smarts and less skill. Time to move on knowing we usually get our delistings right, however I think he'll have a successful career at Geelong so this one might hurt us.
I agree he's no James Cousin (apologies to James), this guy has talent and size which is a valuable combination.

I've said before Geelong will be good for Jeka, they are a very good club at developing talent (not that the Hawks are bad at this either).

Will be interesting to see how he goes next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back