Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn - Emerson Jeka - delisted 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to try him behind the ball before the year is out. Always try a young KPF behind the ball when they aren't performing.

His field kicking is great, I’d like to see him tried in a few different roles at BH this year. Half back for sure, maybe even the wing. Not sure if he has the tank?

His field kicking is great, I’d like to see him tried in a few different roles at BH this year. Half back for sure, maybe even the wing. Not sure if he has the tank?

Could he play FB as his tall enough for the king brothers etc.

Watching Jeka his stats dont do him any favours at all. If he marked everyball he hit at pace he'd be taking 10 marks a game. He's still dropping, tapping, geting spoiled but his leading is seriously impressive and he knows how to call for the ball and always gets there. Haven't seen him lose 1 on 1 under the ball this year either.

What's difficult about Box Hill is that there are a lot of good non-AFL listed players, moreso than last year. Lot's of guys who've killed state competitions for years like Thorpe, and ex AFL guys who aren't far off that level still like Grey and Greene.

There's a lot of cooks in the kitchen at the moment, but what's important about Jeka's game is that he understands his responsibility and thinks like a forward. Moving him back makes sense on paper because of his size and sharpness by foot but it would be a waste of forward IQ which he posseses.

That's your contribution?

To point out that at age 20, in an inconsistent team with garbage delivery & after playing less than 5 games, he's worse than one of the all-time great forwards?

Thanks man!

Just correcting someone that said no 20 year old forward dominates, untrue Franklin deserved to be an All Australian at 20.

Just correcting someone that said no 20 year old forward dominates, untrue Franklin deserved to be an All Australian at 20.
He didn't say that though, nothing about domination - just that 20 year olds have things to work on.
He needs to work on his game and physical development, like ALL 20 year olds.
Franklin might have been a star at 20, but to say he didn't have a lot of scope for improvement still is untrue. The next year he kicked 100+ so had he not needed to work on his game or physical development he wouldn't have gotten better.

He didn't say that though, nothing about domination - just that 20 year olds have things to work on.

Franklin might have been a star at 20, but to say he didn't have a lot of scope for improvement still is untrue. The next year he kicked 100+ so had he not needed to work on his game or physical development he wouldn't have gotten better.

He was physically stronger post 2008. You can argue any player always has something to work on irrespective of age if you want to be technical. Dusty still needs to work on his defensive efforts off the ball.

Wonder if west coast may be tempted to lose a 2nd rounder for him?

He seems to be sitting behind a few in my view, while west Coast are in desperate need of younger players to fast track a rebuild

He was physically stronger post 2008. You can argue any player always has something to work on irrespective of age if you want to be technical. Dusty still needs to work on his defensive efforts off the ball.
It's not being technical, it's you arguing against something that wasn't even said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not being technical, it's you arguing against something that wasn't even said.

Well bottom line is I have concerns about if Jeka will make it at this point and others are pretty confident, hopefully they're right and he is playing quality footy at the top level by the time he is 21 or 22.

Well bottom line is I have concerns about if Jeka will make it at this point and others are pretty confident, hopefully they're right and he is playing quality footy at the top level by the time he is 21 or 22.
That's also not what people are saying. No one has said that they're confident he'll be a quality AFL forward, just that he has the talent - and given that he has the talent 20 is too young to make a call on him.

That's also not what people are saying. No one has said that they're confident he'll be a quality AFL forward, just that he has the talent - and given that he has the talent 20 is too young to make a call on him.

Yeah he certainly has that, he looked a really good prospect in the VFL for the bulk of last season. Sadly talent is only half the battle, I suppose reasons why we got him as a rookie pick.

He is someone i'm hoping were willing to keep on the list for 5/6 years even if the production isn't there early on. Has way too much natural talent and size for his position that if the penny does drop then were away. See Lewis.

What's the vfl rules for signing? Can't box Hill just recruit someone? Do they even have a ruck on their list?

They did, but probably looking for a mature body too

Can BHH sign a ruck themselves? Thought they did sign a kid recently

I agree. Can Box Hill add someone to their list?

Noodle & Big Mac hopefully back sooner than later

What's the vfl rules for signing? Can't box Hill just recruit someone? Do they even have a ruck on their list?
I think the greater challenge would be players breaking contracts and getting a release from their current club. Don’t think you are going to get someone from another vfl club or even a sanfl or wafl club. But I think you would get a release from a club if it meant you were joining an afl list. So the pool of possibles is much greater in size and talent if you list them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back