Toast Welcome to Hawthorn, Finn Maginness “absolute Hawthorn nuffie” and a Hawk to 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any recorded evidence of that increase in top speed by Finn?

It seem almost impossible for that to occur, an 8km/h increase in top speed for someone who was already fast i.e. not a plodder, someone who was focussed on making it to an AFL list, someone who trained every day with fitness being a major focus. That is an increase from 8.88m/s to 11.11m/s. Not Happening!!

For reference, Elaine Thompson-Herah, Olympic Gold medal winning womens 100m athlete has never clocked 40km/h and I'd have no qualms slapping my house on her whooping any AFL player.
What a ridiculously ill-informed bet.

Was a complete tagging performance.

Daicos got his first touch before the tag could begin.

Second from a kick-in. Wasn’t able to do his 1-2 hand off.

Third a free kick on the wing given away by Nash.

Then Daicos went to FF. Got his fourth with a mark on the lead inside 50 but turned it over instead of having a shot. (Knee knock from Blanck collision)

Fifth came from a free kick in front of goal given away by Seamus.

Nothing more Finn could have done to make their most important player have less impact. Completely controlled him.

Brilliant stuff. Keeping some guy who according to the media is meant to be the next version of Jesus to 5 touches is incredible from Finn
Only 2 of them came against Finn. The mark on the lead at full forward. And Daicos quickly learned that if you are trying to hide from a tag at full forward, you may end up running into a big full back. And a rushed handball in the fist quarter.

1 was a kick in so doesn't count.

1 was against Nash in a soft free, and another 1 soft free against Seamus for his goal. Josh Daicos started all the push and shoving and everyone is in on it but golden boy gets a free because there was no other way he was going to get another touch.

Could have been subbed off if he was really injured instead Mitchell was, then once the game was over and he couldn't find anywhere on the ground to get away from Finn he decided to just hide out in the back row of the bench.

Finn is an absolute Elite tagger but Daicos not even able to win a single clean touch as a supposedly the best player in the competition is soft as margarine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Todays performance sent out a big message to the competition. If you can shut down Daicos you can go a long way to beating the flag favourite. Maginness is a big asset for any club in contention

I think you got this wrong.

You right about the message to the competition. Hawthorn have the no.1 tagger in the comp and there's nobody like him.

Not since the days of Tony Liberatore has there been any player who can do what our Finn does.

Prior to today Nick Daicos had +20 disposals in each of his 44 games, except for 2 games in which get got 19 & 16 disposals (both in 2022).

This is the first time ever that Nick Daicos was held to single digit disposals.

They may as well have dropped him to the VFL and had a mediocre player in his place to contribute 15 disposals.

Prior to today Nick Daicos had +20 disposals in each of his 44 games, except for 2 games in which get got 19 & 16 disposals (both in 2022).

This is the first time ever that Nick Daicos was held to single digit disposals.

They may as well have dropped him to the VFL and had a mediocre player in his place to contribute 15 disposals.
Finn would have just gone to his brother. He’d have smelled the Daicos blood.

That is the type of game (building on from his job on Kelly) that makes me as confident as ever that he has to get a contract offer from us.

Would have had his eye on this a long way out and literally could not have done any more.

Having 1 spot on the list for someone who can completely nullify the ‘golden child’ and other A graders is certainly worth it.

The ability to take a ‘blue chip’ player effectively off the board from the opposition is a huge advantage that we have.

Also… Finn is only 22 years old - he’s definitely still got plenty of room for growth.

Todays performance sent out a big message to the competition. If you can shut down Daicos you can go a long way to beating the flag favourite. Maginness is a big asset for any club in contention
It’s amazed me how reluctant clubs have been to run a player with Nick Daicos.

Obviously many here saw Finn as the perfect match and we are all nodding our heads at how clever Hawthorn are but we are fortunate to have a player in our side willing to do it with complete devotion to the task.

I’m not sure every club has a Finn Maginness equivalent at the moment.

FWIW this was the quote from Fly in his presser after the game

I think credit to Finn Maginness, he's found a role for himself in the AFL. He's a great kid. Lucky enough to work with him for 12 months. He works as hard on his game as anyone I've ever seen. Challenges always present".

It’s amazed me how reluctant clubs have been to run a player with Nick Daicos.

Obviously many here saw Finn as the perfect match and we are all nodding our heads at how clever Hawthorn are but we are fortunate to have a player in our side willing to do it with complete devotion to the task.

I’m not sure every club has a Finn Maginness equivalent at the moment.

FWIW this was the quote from Fly in his presser after the game

I think credit to Finn Maginness, he's found a role for himself in the AFL. He's a great kid. Lucky enough to work with him for 12 months. He works as hard on his game as anyone I've ever seen. Challenges always present".
It's going to be an interesting watch over the coming weeks and years. The dominant theory in footy for several years now has been that good sides don't throw out their system by playing a purely negative tagger. Whether a top 4 side would play one every week remains to be seen but having one on the list who can be deployed for a big job is valuable.

Simply could not have asked Finn to do more in the jobs he's been given over the last month, with yesterday being a career game. He gave us a "nil-all draw" against the competition's most consistently dominant player this year. That's a huge huge feather in his cap.

If Nick Daicos wins the Brownlow, I hope Finn beats him onto the stage and prevents him from getting the medal put around his neck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back