Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Fionn O’Hara

Remove this Banner Ad

So, in the VFL players review this week, I saw this:

Fionn O’Hara (7 disposals, 3 tackles)​

"Similarly to the other guys, Fionn really struggled to get involved in this game, especially in the first half. The last quarter we threw him down forward and he actually looked pretty dangerous and lively. So we'll see if we can continue with that. It's only his sixth game, so he's still developing."
Which is a pretty accurate assessment. Fionn has looked a bit all at sea in defence the past couple of weeks, but this week down forward he looked MUCH better. Rather than worrying about his opposition player he seemed much more natural and fluid just going and hunting the ball and was one of the more assured ball handlers in the wet weather conditions.

IDK what his goal kicking is like, but he almost seems like a natural HFF player.

Which is a pretty accurate assessment. Fionn has looked a bit all at sea in defence the past couple of weeks, but this week down forward he looked MUCH better. Rather than worrying about his opposition player he seemed much more natural and fluid just going and hunting the ball and was one of the more assured ball handlers in the wet weather conditions.

IDK what his goal kicking is like, but he almost seems like a natural HFF player.
I saw the last quarter and he got involved a few times quite well on the HFF. Looking forward to seeing how it progresses

Saw him at training. He is a very good field kick. Was quite surprised how sharp his kicking is.

We don’t need another backman so if his a natural forward that’s fantastic.

Can still see the need to develop in both though
Hard to say after just one quarter, but based on that quarter we'd be better developing him as a forward/mid.

When they put him forward of the ball he was scragging away at the bottom of packs and has that same Rugby mindset about tackling that Nash has - he quite happily folded a couple of Giant players in half. His problems in defence are more positional and/or spoiling etc.

If you make it simple for him - see ball, get ball, see opposition, tackle opposition - then he looks like he'll go well.

Also I'm speculating here, but I also suspect the Rugby background would make him a real asset in positioning to support players for handball chains - offloads and being in position to receive offloads is a big part of the Rugby game.

I wasn't expecting it but jeez Fionn showed a bit on the weekend.
The kid was a seriously exceptional talent in Ireland so I'm not surprised he's developing quickly.
What I am surprised about is the fact that he reads the bounce of the ball well, and seems to have a real bullet of a kick in appropriate circumstances.

I think this kid has a crazy amount of potential.

I didn’t see the game but noticed it was first time he picked up double digit disposals? Did he play mostly back or forward?
Mostly back, but played a bit more like a wing.

He's an out and out mid though. The thing that really stood out from his play on the weekend is his crazy ability to step players - there was a couple of plays on the weekend where he stepped around multiple players (like 3 or 4) and just weaved through traffic effortlessly.

He's an out and out mid though. The thing that really stood out from his play on the weekend is his crazy ability to step players - there was a couple of plays on the weekend where he stepped around multiple players (like 3 or 4) and just weaved through traffic effortlessly.

Loved that too. He's still got a lot to learn, at times he baulked at doing what he probably should have, like tackling. Hard to know how to rate him. His AFL game knowledge is around U16s and his athletic ability/ball skill is above VFL. Fascinating to watch him develop, I just gotta stay patient.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loved that too. He's still got a lot to learn, at times he baulked at doing what he probably should have, like tackling. Hard to know how to rate him. His AFL game knowledge is around U16s and his athletic ability/ball skill is above VFL. Fascinating to watch him develop, I just gotta stay patient.
He's not scared of tackling. I have a distinct memory of him folding a GWS mid in half rugby style when we were playing them.

If he's hesitating to tackle, which tbh I can't remember, I suspect it will be because he is trying to assess when to tackle vs when to pressure and cut off the release handball etc.

He's not scared of tackling. I have a distinct memory of him folding a GWS mid in half rugby style when we were playing them.

If he's hesitating to tackle, which tbh I can't remember, I suspect it will be because he is trying to assess when to tackle vs when to pressure and cut off the release handball etc.
100% agree. A gun young rugby player is not going to be baulking at tackling through fear of contact. That's their bread and butter. He'd be trying to figure out the right play as you say.

The kid was a seriously exceptional talent in Ireland so I'm not surprised he's developing quickly.
What I am surprised about is the fact that he reads the bounce of the ball well, and seems to have a real bullet of a kick in appropriate circumstances.

I think this kid has a crazy amount of potential.
Footy dept is more than pleased with his progress to date.

Love it !!

absolutely that's what it was. you could see him trying to figure it out in real time, he's just not sure what to do in some scenarios yet, it's far from automatic. He'll get there, he seems pretty smart.

Fionn O'hara has a sidestep that can make multiple guys miss... looks best suited to the midfield :think:

Too early to forget Finn Callaghan?

Bloody hell, great to hear this. We are crying out for a mid of this type.

I think we'd prefer to see him in the midfield developing but he's a fair way off and it's probaby a bit unfair to Box Hill who is trying to make the finals. I hope we have him penciled in to play midfield next year from round one after a full preseason and a lot of learning.

I think we'd prefer to see him in the midfield developing but he's a fair way off and it's probaby a bit unfair to Box Hill who is trying to make the finals. I hope we have him penciled in to play midfield next year from round one after a full preseason and a lot of learning.
Who knows, Box Hill finals may just be the making of him, even as a mid.

Who knows, Box Hill finals may just be the making of him, even as a mid.
Season 3 Thinking GIF by The Simpsons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back