Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

What I liked is his shepards, we have seen fk all of those this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Also noticed he wasn't shy in directing teammates to cover opponents or to guard space. I reckon that's a huge thing for a first year player to be doing, let alone a guy on debut who only got on to the list just over a week ago. Dare I say, Hodge-like in his determination to make sure the team was following the plan. No wonder Clarko was giddy bringing his name up in the press conference earlier in the week.

What I liked is his shepards, we have seen fk all of those this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Compare shiels letting a player run past him and catch one of our players holding the ball a few weeks ago to Jai shepherding his heart out.

Sort of thing that sets the standards inside the club.

Also noticed he wasn't shy in directing teammates to cover opponents or to guard space. I reckon that's a huge thing for a first year player to be doing, let alone a guy on debut who only got on to the list just over a week ago. Dare I say, Hodge-like in his determination to make sure the team was following the plan. No wonder Clarko was giddy bringing his name up in the press conference earlier in the week.

on replay noticed CJ doing the same thing

Last edited:
I bet duke would smash wines in a a tackle 😉
The only wines he'd be smashing would be direct from a goon bag tied to a hill's hoist. Otherwise, I see him as more of a VB tinnies kinda guy

Going to take a big performance by someone to steal the rising star nod off of him
Luke Edwards just put in a match winning performance as one of WCE best with 27 disposals and the composure of a 200 game player on the wing in his 2nd game for WCE V Richmond, a player i had high on my draft boards and other draft watchers poo pooed me for, i think he might steal the RS nom this week.

Last edited:
Luke Edwards just put in a match winning performance as one of WCE best with 27 disposals and the composure of a 200 game player on the wing in his 2nd game for WCE V Richmond, a player i had high on my draft boards and other draft watchers poo pooed me for, i think he might steal the RS nom this week.
That’s a huge game and rightfully so

Looks really good, what were Adelaide thinking not taking him under father/son.

Looks really good, what were Adelaide thinking not taking him under father/son.

i think it was more he didnt want to go to Adelaide because of how they treated his brother, but he shouldve gone earlier than pick 50.

for me he was up there with Hollands as one of the best underagers in 2019 champs, but all people wanted to talk about was how he wasnt setting the u18s sanfl on fire in 2020, when i saw him play in 2020 he looked a star too so idk?, people have small memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure we can play T.Mitchell, Worps, Jai and Cuz in the same team, so surely Cuz is now going to struggle to get a spot?
Of course he’s going to struggle, because he’s not very good.

What a debut by Duke! He hit hard, tackled everything that moved and had clean, slick hands when he got it. He'll continue to build his tank over the course of 2021, but it's exciting to see how quickly he adapts to each level as he is confronted by it.

Keep the 10 tackles a game, raise the disposals to 20-25 and then we really are on to something special

He spent a lot of time on the bench so I think the 20 - 25 possessions will come naturally when his midfield time (or even on-field time) is increased.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back