Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

57b525a71bbde29876609c88e874c2b9.png

It's not even the facts he's number 1 in most stats it's how far and away he's number 1. Not only his he getting the ball at the coal face more than another player he's running from the contest and hitting targets inside 50.

Last edited:

Our players will get more recognition when their performances translate to us winning more often.

When you've finished 12th or below in 4 of the 6 campaigns it's not great shock our players aren't talked about for many individual accolades

Cripps has never played a final and has a career winning percentage of 31% - he’s never struggled getting recognition. The media’s overlooking of Jai is a bit odd considering his stats this season.

If DGB does what De Koning has done this year in his 3rd year next season, this board will be fapping all over the place labelling him the potential best defender in the comp for the next decade.
Yes, and?

No one is saying SDK isn't good, just that he's not objectively better than Newcombe this season. There are 3 guys who could all win the award and deserve it.

If you say "I think Newcombe finishes third" you've expressed your opinion which no one would have an issue with, but saying "Newcombe deserves third" is you trying to state it like it's fact.

Hey I voted multiple times and deliberately on muted players likely to supplant him - I did my bit.
Me too!

Cripps has never played a final and has a career winning percentage of 31% - he’s never struggled getting recognition. The media’s overlooking of Jai is a bit odd considering his stats this season.

i suppose with him he just stands out that much that's impossible to overlook.

Bit Sicily will be an AA lock this year despite being in a garbage team.

Yes, and?

No one is saying SDK isn't good, just that he's not objectively better than Newcombe this season. There are 3 guys who could all win the award and deserve it.

If you say "I think Newcombe finishes third" you've expressed your opinion which no one would have an issue with, but saying "Newcombe deserves third" is you trying to state it like it's fact.

Me too!

As Judd2Sewell said it's my opinion he deserves 3rd, sorry you looked so far into knit-picking the wording.

As Judd2Sewell said it's my opinion he deserves 3rd, sorry you looked so far into knit-picking the wording.
I really should look into getting a handler to follow me around from thread to thread just to clarify that what I said wasn't actually what I meant, and that what I meant to say was actually something else.

i suppose with him he just stands out that much that's impossible to overlook.

Bit Sicily will be an AA lock this year despite being in a garbage team.

There’s dozens of players who get media adoration despite playing in crap teams - Nuke’s story writes itself also. To play as good as he is 18 months removed from playing park footy - it’s honestly bewildering why he’s not getting the coverage. This isn’t Hawks bias either - his stats speak for themselves.

Do we really want Duke, or any of our players, winning awards? Doesn't it result in bonuses? So isn't that a negative for us in respect of TPP? You pay them more and get nothing in return

Yes, we're currently 13th and TPP not an issue, but taking it to the extreme, when your players win these awards, it doesn't help your club.

Do we really want Duke, or any of our players, winning awards? Doesn't it result in bonuses? So isn't that a negative for us in respect of TPP? You pay them more and get nothing in return

Yes, we're currently 13th and TPP not an issue, but taking it to the extreme, when your players win these awards, it doesn't help your club.
Generally, recognised players are treated far better by the umpires. Award winners are good for onfield protection

There’s dozens of players who get media adoration despite playing in crap teams - Nuke’s story writes itself also. To play as good as he is 18 months removed from playing park footy - it’s honestly bewildering why he’s not getting the coverage. This isn’t Hawks bias either - his stats speak for themselves.
The last 8 games have been

Sunday 3.20
Sunday 3.20
Sunday 1.10
Saturday 1.45
Saturday 4.35
Saturday 1.45
Sunday 1.10
Sunday 1.10

We haven't been in front of many peoples eyes for 2 months during which time Newcombe has had his most consistent good form of the year. Meanwhile Geelong and Collingwood have regularly been getting Friday night and Saturday night fixtures that most people pay attention to

The last 8 games have been

Sunday 3.20
Sunday 3.20
Sunday 1.10
Saturday 1.45
Saturday 4.35
Saturday 1.45
Sunday 1.10
Sunday 1.10

We haven't been in front of many peoples eyes for 2 months during which time Newcombe has had his most consistent good form of the year. Meanwhile Geelong and Collingwood have regularly been getting Friday night and Saturday night fixtures that most people pay attention to

In fairness if you are in a position to judge either the Rising Star or All Australian sides you should be watching every game - which I doubt all of them are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fairness if you are in a position to judge either the Rising Star or All Australian sides you should be watching every game - which I doubt all of them are.
I doubt most of them would watch more than 2-3 games a weekend

Yes. At the moment, yes.

It helps recruiting, sponsorship, marketing, crowds & yes even umpiring.

Yes. At the moment, yes.

It helps recruiting, sponsorship, marketing, crowds & yes even umpiring.

Plus Hawksnest can frame some s**t for blokes’ pool rooms and charge a premium for them.

People need to relax a bit, even Hodgey had SDK second, Newcombe third... and that's fine, all three are guns with insanely bright futures.

Daicos and SDK by nature of their teams success have had some special moments in big games this year. Fair enough if that elevates them, because that's what elevates the very best.

Newcombe will get there and show it when we improve, he's best two games this year for mine were actually against the Cats and Lions when he almost put us on his back in key moments.

Wait until we're up and about playing big games, prime time, and then everyone will know what we do already.

Sam's flown the flag for these guys (and more) in the media. Being recognised internally at the club will always be nice, but to have your senior coach go out in public to tell the world just how good you are would be extra special. Even if it doesn't result in awards coming your way.

In a way it forges a stronger bond between player and coach. Sam has gone out of his way to get players who deserve it the external recognition they deserve, and where it has failed to materialise in awards there is now a shared journey for Sam and players to "prove them all wrong" or even just "prove ourselves right".

Sam threw Morrison's name into AA discussions the other day which was met with some healthy scepticism. That surely creates some extra motivation for Harry to reach that goal next season. Not for the sake of being AA, but because his senior coach showed the belief in him to put his name out there and be (politely) mocked for doing so.

I would love Sam to foster an 'us vs them' mentality. We certainly had plenty of it during the unsociable Hawks era.

It's great for team morale, it fosters excitement in and around the club that is good for membership and sponsorship. A little bonus payment to a player for performing well enough to get an award is a small price to pay for what the club gets back.

I really should look into getting a handler to follow me around from thread to thread just to clarify that what I said wasn't actually what I meant, and that what I meant to say was actually something else.
Don't worry, i read it as such too.

haha

Nothing against Daicos, however he does get a lot of disposals after a point is kicked and he kicks the ball out. Does anyone know those numbers.

It is a huge oversight, I just don't understand how they can miss it. If he backs it up next season they'll jump on board.

It is a huge oversight, I just don't understand how they can miss it. If he backs it up next season they'll jump on board.

You'd have to hope so. What's not to love about the story - kid playing bush footy gets a chance in the VFL, kills it for half a season and gets picked up in the MSD. Gets instantly picked, breaks the tackles on debut record and cements himself as a best 22 player - goes on to lead all comers in multiple stats of all Rising Star candidates. For people to be saying he will finish 4th and 5th it just defies logic. If he was playing for GWS or Gold Coast the AFL media would be shoving PR about him down our throats and Channel 7 would be doing stories on him during game day segments every couple of weeks.

Thankfully I reckon Nuke would be the kind of down to earth bloke who wouldn't give a * - hoping he uses it to really hurt some blokes next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back