Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

how the * does his watch reckon he's only burned 500 cals at 90kg+

I once was told by my Apple Watch that I had been standing for eight hours.

I was sitting on my arse all day.

My favourite moment from “I spent a day with Hawthorn Bull Jai Newcombe” was when Reeves only did half the job by not replacing a new bag in the bin. The look he gave with immediate feedback was gold …… saids a lot about this young man in that he will do everything for the team and his team mates but will look you in the eye and speak up when he is let down!

My favourite moment from “I spent a day with Hawthorn Bull Jai Newcombe” was when Reeves only did half the job by not replacing a new bag in the bin. The look he gave with immediate feedback was gold …… saids a lot about this young man in that he will do everything for the team and his team mates but will look you in the eye and speak up when he is let down!

....... or he was just taking the piss with a mate for the camera

Winner Dave GIF by Barstool Sports

A bit of both, reading between the lines it sounds like he was one of four that didn’t stop training at the club across the break (not to say others aren’t overseas or in their own time) but he seems like not only is he leaving no stone unturned but he genuinely loves the opportunity.

Give him two more years and that is hodge and Mitchell level drive across the group

Anyone who has lived with a mate knows that there's always a kernel of truth at the middle of any banter about half done chores

Anyone who has lived with a mate knows that there's always a kernel of truth at the middle of any banter about half done chores

Yeah of course, but he was still taking the piss for the camera though. I think this reaction was a bit over the top - saids a lot about this young man in that he will do everything for the team and his team mates but will look you in the eye and speak up when he is let down!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the next improvement for Newcombe is not playing it so safe with ball in hand and taking risks to generate scores. He’s good enough to do it.
Having a structured Forwardline to kick to will help that. Even bringing in Chol, whilst not a FF, should help this aspect of Duke's game.

Yeah of course, but he was still taking the piss for the camera though. I think this reaction was a bit over the top - saids a lot about this young man in that he will do everything for the team and his team mates but will look you in the eye and speak up when he is let down!
Fair enough and was a long draw of the bow not my first or won’t be the last. Years ago my late father-in-law from country Victoria had a definition for a good person “If you lend someone $5 bucks and they pay you back without asking they are a good bloke”! This could be a bit over the top also but it has some merit when looking back through life.

Re-watched the Doggies in Tassie game the other day, the goal he kicked roughly half way through the second was pretty damn special- I think it was Nash to Worps who got it to Duke who spun deftly out of a tackle and nailed it from 50+. If that’s not a sign of things to come from a burgeoning midfield I don’t know what is.

He got the next centre clearance too…

Heard King today on radio talk about a stat from last year …….. who the most times broke out of tackles as it was so important to get past that first line of defense to open the game up and get it to your outside mids. Petracca, Cripps, JHF etc were thrown up and thinking what about Newk you morons!!!!! And it was 👍. I think there has been a bit of focusing on the newbies in who we gained or which youngsters will come on lately while forgetting about what we have in that Newk is still kid. Expecting a big year from our young gun bull. Worps was up there in this stat as well.

Heard King today on radio talk about a stat from last year …….. who the most times broke out of tackles as it was so important to get past that first line of defense to open the game up and get it to your outside mids. Petracca, Cripps, JHF etc were thrown up and thinking what about Newk you morons!!!!! And it was 👍. I think there has been a bit of focusing on the newbies in who we gained or which youngsters will come on lately while forgetting about what we have in that Newk is still kid. Expecting a big year from our young gun bull. Worps was up there in this stat as well.
Most valuable player on our list.

Didn't he break the record for broken tackles last year with a few rounds to spare?

I'm backing Jai Newcombe to get back to his best this weekend in a big match against Melbourne. He lowered his colours slightly last weekend. There's no better place to prove yourself as one of the best against the best midfield in the league and perhaps one of the greatest ever seen. If he can nuke the Dees midfield, there's no stopping him this season.

I'm backing Jai Newcombe to get back to his best this weekend in a big match against Melbourne. He lowered his colours slightly last weekend. There's no better place to prove yourself as one of the best against the best midfield in the league and perhaps one of the greatest ever seen. If he can nuke the Dees midfield, there's no stopping him this season.
I am a bit biased but I agree with your use of the term 'slightly'.
We've come to expect a LOT from Nuke in such a short time.
50 odd games, in his early 20s: I'm EXCITED!!!

Lowered his colours last week, Setterfield absolutely beat him. He's going to have to get used to tags and more attention, especially with Day out.

If he's getting tagged out of the game I hope Mitchell clears the square for him and throws him deep in the F50. Or use him as a lead up forward. Just do something to change it up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back