News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

How does our defence hold up against our forwardline?

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Bruest v Stratton
Puopolo v Hardwick
Great question.

First, I'd swap Stratton and Hardwick matchups.

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston
v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Puopolo v Stratton
Bruest v Hardwick

Only four clear winners for mine. I've based it on last years form. Which means Frawley wins by default. I debated Frost v Lewis for longer, but gave the nudge to Frost with more experience and a clearer run of form. Gunston vs Scrimshaw was hard as Gunston was down on form/injured last year. But Scrimshaw was injured and out for a lot of it. Both those two match ups could flip by the end of next year pending development and consistency.

Sicily is just a gun and potentially AA if he gets a clear run at it.

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Bruest v Stratton
Puopolo v Hardwick
Hawthorn would win pretty much everyone of these contests

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Bruest v Stratton
Puopolo v Hardwick

Fantastic question that certainly winds back the optimism! I honestly think the backline wins and that’s without Impey. Perhaps recency bias is causing me to underrate Gunston and Breust since they are coming off down seasons. If they can recapture their best alongside Patton then it would be a great battle. We just desperately need someone to force Poppy out of the team. Looking at those match-ups I actually think Nash makes that forward line more dangerous than Poppy does.

Fantastic question that certainly winds back the optimism! I honestly think the backline wins and that’s without Impey. Perhaps recency bias is causing me to underrate Gunston and Breust since they are coming off down seasons. If they can recapture their best alongside Patton then it would be a great battle. We just desperately need someone to force Poppy out of the team. Looking at those match-ups I actually think Nash makes that forward line more dangerous than Poppy does.

I think the Gunners v Scrimshaw matchup gives the offense the edge. That third tall, and mobile, is difficult to deal with.

Also, I think Poppy would be very challenged to have an impact matched up against either Stratts or Hardwick. So it's tough to call. I guess that puts the defense on top.

Great question.

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston
v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Puopolo v Stratton
Bruest v Hardwick

Only four clear winners for mine. I've based it on last years form. Which means Frawley wins by default. I debated Frost v Lewis for longer, but gave the nudge to Frost with more experience and a clearer run of form. Gunston vs Scrimshaw was hard as Gunston was down on form/injured last year. But Scrimshaw was injured and out for a lot of it. Both those two match ups could flip by the end of next year pending development and consistency.

I'd swing Sicily forward to really put the pressure on the shorter Hawthorn defence in the air. But then you'd need to swing O'Brien back to help them out...

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Bruest v Stratton
Puopolo v Hardwick
I would pit Sicily against Gunston. That would be a pretty entertaining duel. Two smart, strong marketing, mobile footballers.

I reckon the defence has the edge but throw Wingard forward and who knows? And where does Burger go???

Nash is the wildcard. He is an aerobic beast, has speed to burn, is possibly the best technical tackler in the league... and if he starts consistently marking the ball and straightens up his goal kicking (both of which he showed greats signs of late in the season) then the forward line looks infinitely more dangerous.
In the hypothetidal:
- Patton vs Frawley
- Breust vs Stratton
- Nash vs. Frost would have to go to Nash to match his speed and height
- Lewis vs Scrimshaw
- Gunston vs Sicily
- Hanrahan vs Hardwick

The Fwds vs backline question become much tougher

Poppy should be played for impact... reduced minutes with a licence to hit, hurt and fly.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great question.

Patton v Frawley
Lewis v Frost
Gunston
v Scrimshaw
O'Brien v Sicily
Puopolo v Stratton
Bruest v Hardwick

So, not clear winners then? I didn't think so either. Pained me to compete the two against each other as it's like being asked who's your favorite son.

So, not clear winners then? I didn't think so either. Pained me to compete the two against each other as it's like being asked who's your favorite son.

I reckon they’re clear winners on last 12 months, but not necessarily so going forwards.

I reckon hypothetical Mitch Lewis would beat hypothetical Sam Frost if the midfield delivery is good. Frost would have him for pace obviously, but Lewis has the height, reach and strength on him. If our mids can put it on his head, Frost would be in trouble.

I reckon hypothetical Mitch Lewis would beat hypothetical Sam Frost if the midfield delivery is good. Frost would have him for pace obviously, but Lewis has the height, reach and strength on him. If our mids can put it on his head, Frost would be in trouble.
Lewis' greatest asset is his ability to pick up where the ball will drop before his opponent. I think they'd break even if the ball was kicked on their heads but Lewis would beat Frost to a run & jump footy 8/10 times (despite the latter's acceleration advantage)

Box Hill probably.

All three of those wingers will play though.

He might still be in Ireland, but if you think Nash is going to be a Box Hill player this year you haven't been paying attention.

He might still be in Ireland, but if you think Nash is going to be a Box Hill player this year you haven't been paying attention.
He got games out of necessity last season, we had no one better. He either improves as a player or he will be at Box Hill next season.

He got games out of necessity last season, we had no one better. He either improves as a player or he will be at Box Hill next season.

It wasn't necessity, he played every game when fit and available, and his spot in the side generally coincided with higher scores and more wins.

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but his role wasn't out of necessity for another tall, it was to replace an element of the pressure that Cyril's departure robbed us of.

Clarkson backed him in for finals in 2018, backed him in pretty much every game this year. It's more likely that Nash lines up Round 1 than not.

It wasn't necessity, he played every game when fit and available, and his spot in the side generally coincided with higher scores and more wins.

Correlation doesn't equal causation, but his role wasn't out of necessity for another tall, it was to replace an element of the pressure that Cyril's departure robbed us of.

Clarkson backed him in for finals in 2018, backed him in pretty much every game this year. It's more likely that Nash lines up Round 1 than not.
He was dropped at least once in Round 6 against Carlton. I agree that his spot in the side has nothing to do with getting another tall. I think we needed him in because we had a lack of pressure smalls. If he does not improve and is still best 22 next season we are in trouble. I am not a hater on him but his output absolutely does need to improve.

He was dropped at least once in Round 6 against Carlton. I agree that his spot in the side has nothing to do with getting another tall. I think we needed him in because we had a lack of pressure smalls. If he does not improve and is still best 22 next season we are in trouble. I am not a hater on him but his output absolutely does need to improve.

He wasn't dropped, he injured himself and was proppy in the Geelong game we lost. Then he was barely sighted at either level until he was ready to go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back