News Welcome to Hawthorn Jon Patton : Retired

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't dropped, he injured himself and was proppy in the Geelong game we lost. Then he was barely sighted at either level until he was ready to go again.
He was listed as omitted on the team sheet and came back through the VFL. Clearly he was worth persisting with this season due to a lack of other options but if he is still our first option going forward he needs to improve or we will not be where the club is hoping to be.

He was listed as omitted on the team sheet and came back through the VFL. Clearly he was worth persisting with this season due to a lack of other options but if he is still our first option going forward he needs to improve or we will not be where the club is hoping to be.

I know what he was listed as, but he didn't play against Coburg in the VFL that weekend. There was a bye following that, then he didn't play against Footscray, or Richmond VFL - he only played 1 VFL game in that stretch before being called up again.

I like Nash, it's no big secret - but having him as a first option isn't bad, it means that if he continues improving his game we will have an elite pressure forward (he's above average on the pressure front already) who is a nightmare mismatch for any opposition team in the league.

I know what he was listed as, but he didn't play against Coburg in the VFL that weekend. There was a bye following that, then he didn't play against Footscray, or Richmond VFL - he only played 1 VFL game in that stretch before being called up again.

I like Nash, it's no big secret - but having him as a first option isn't bad, it means that if he continues improving his game we will have an elite pressure forward (he's above average on the pressure front already) who is a nightmare mismatch for any opposition team in the league.
I agree on potential but he needs to be contributing on the offensive end more than he is at the present point. I think with how tall we are forward that would make him a bigger nightmare as an agile big body and Patton coming in may help him more. We need improvement though he is a long way from where we need him to be.

I agree on potential but he needs to be contributing on the offensive end more than he is at the present point. I think with how tall we are forward that would make him a bigger nightmare as an agile big body and Patton coming in may help him more. We need improvement though he is a long way from where we need him to be.
I agree with what you're saying, but I gotta cut him some slack for at least the first half of the season.

No forward, not even guys like Breust, Gunston or Wingard could consistently get near the pill - the only guy that got near it regularly was Popeye, as we frequently kicked it to him & his 2-3 defender mates...

I totally agree that he has to increase his output numbers, but I reckon playing with structure & a decent midfield will really help him learn his craft (pressure forward) as the ball: trajectory & fall of the ball etc. & running patterns of he & others will be a lot more recognisable (If not yet predictable) for him & he'll be able to use his instinct & natural attributes better than this season.

He might still be in Ireland, but if you think Nash is going to be a Box Hill player this year you haven't been paying attention.

Spare me. Anyone that paid attention saw a player that struggled to get 10 possession a game, and was still a long way off becoming a real solid contributor to the side.

He averaged less than 9 possies a game, 0.6 goals a game and only 2.7 tackles a game.

His season highs were 16 touches (once), 2 goals (once), 5 tackles (three times), 4 marks (twice).

Lewis, Patton, Breust, TOB, Gunston and an aging Puopolo are all (more than likely) ahead of him in the pecking order. Then we potentially have a resting ruckman. Then we have players like Hanrahan and Wingard that can play the small forward role to a higher level.

He will have to really earn his spot this coming season with the inclusion of Patton, and the return of Mitchell potentially pushing Wingard forward again.

Arguably, our forward line functioned best this year in round 23, when both Roughy and Lewis were out of the side. It was our best overall performance based on the score we kicked and the quality of the opponent.

Obviously with both Lewis and Patton likely starters round 1, our coaches don’t think it’s a blueprint for the future. I see us starting like this:

Wingard, Lewis, Gunston
Breust, Patton, Puopolo

O’Brien will be the flexible rotation, moving through FF, CHF and the flank as Gunston can too. I see Nash, Hanrahan and Walker all jostling for an extra pressure forward/marking target, whatever is needed week by week.

I wonder if Poppy will transition out of the side next year, like roughy. His age and contract shenanigans suggest so, but Nash will have to pick up a lot of slack. I rewatched a few games recently and Poppy not only works hard all the time, but so often is the one who wins/halves contests at crucial times and allows us to gain momentum. I don’t think anyone wants him to retire, but his output is slowing and unless we’re playing a grand final, I’d hope that a younger player has stepped into that role by the end of next season.

Spare me. Anyone that paid attention saw a player that struggled to get 10 possession a game, and was still a long way off becoming a real solid contributor to the side.

He averaged less than 9 possies a game, 0.6 goals a game and only 2.7 tackles a game.

His season highs were 16 touches (once), 2 goals (once), 5 tackles (three times), 4 marks (twice).

Lewis, Patton, Breust, TOB, Gunston and an aging Puopolo are all (more than likely) ahead of him in the pecking order. Then we potentially have a resting ruckman. Then we have players like Hanrahan and Wingard that can play the small forward role to a higher level.

He will have to really earn his spot this coming season with the inclusion of Patton, and the return of Mitchell potentially pushing Wingard forward again.
Nash and glass are still on the list..
I thought glass may have been delisted but the role change at box hill to the middle saved him.

Spare you? Mate, it's not me that has to spare you. Clarko has already flagged his intent with Nash when it comes to team selection. If he's cherry ripe to go he gets selected. Lewis got dropped after a game where he kicked 3 goals because he wasn't doing everything the coaches wanted, Nash only got dropped after pulling up proppy in the Geelong game which means that despite the statistics he was doing precisely what was wanted and expected of him.

It's going to be interesting.
You'd think Patton and Lewis will be our key talls.
Punky will be down there.
Wingard could play that mid forward split he finished the year with which means he has to rotate.
Poppy still around
Gunston could be used anywhere
Timmy looked like he was settling into the forward line
Then you've got all the kids, Nash, Ollie, Moore, Ross
I think Nash finished the year strongly. He did things he failed to do earlier, hold marks in a contest for example, he's still learning how to use his body against bigger opponents, if he can do that his speed and endurance will make him difficult to match up on.
Club will keep trying to make it work while they think it could happen.

Reckon Nash creates a lot of spread in the forward line for others to go into. Still a developing player and hopefully will create the space for big Mr Patton to run into.

It's a team sport, not an individual game. Spare me all the stat gurglers. Premierships are won by teams rather than a few stat hogs.

This is correct and I'm sure if we start winning finals/ Premierships matches with Nash in the side no questions will be asked, but until then I expect it to be a hot topic of conversation. I do have more time for Nash than most also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon Nash creates a lot of spread in the forward line for others to go into. Still a developing player and hopefully will create the space for big Mr Patton to run into.

It's a team sport, not an individual game. Spare me all the stat gurglers. Premierships are won by teams rather than a few stat hogs.

Any player can create space. And you don't need to be a stat hog either in order to get meaningful possessions.

A player that averages sub 10 touches, 0.6 goals game and sub 3 tackles a game, playing as a 'tall small' forward needs to do a whole lot more in order to remain a permanent fixture, regardless of how much space he creates. He has all the physical tools to do achieve more, but we have to see it next year.

Any player can create space. And you don't need to be a stat hog either in order to get meaningful possessions.

A player that averages sub 10 touches, 0.6 goals game and sub 3 tackles a game, playing as a 'tall small' forward needs to do a whole lot more in order to remain a permanent fixture, regardless of how much space he creates. He has all the physical tools to do achieve more, but we have to see it next year.

Thought this was the Patton thread? Maybe you should continue your hatred in the Nash thread.

Argualby our best forward performance, r23 came with just obrien and nash as the talls, and punky leading from the front. He had the steely gaze that day

I can see Nash taking on Poppy’s Role. He has the speed, the tackling nous, is younger. The only thing missing from his game, is the goal kicking, by the end of last year, it was slowly starting to improve.

Poppy’s time is almost up, been a great player, however his output is starting to slowly diminish. Which happens to every player. Nash with his tackling pressure, is the most logical player to play that role for next year.

I can see Nash taking on Poppy’s Role. He has the speed, the tackling nous, is younger. The only thing missing from his game, is the goal kicking, by the end of last year, it was slowly starting to improve.

Poppy’s time is almost up, been a great player, however his output is starting to slowly diminish. Which happens to every player. Nash with his tackling pressure, is the most logical player to play that role for next year.
I'm going out on a limb here, and I'm going to say Nash will be a more influential player than Poppy. It may take a year or two, but I think he has the pressure and athletic skills. If he continues on the rate of improvement he has the potential to be very, very, good.

Nash the 197cm small forward, I don't quite see that happening. We have Patton, Lewis and Gunston. I though O'Brien was great up forward near the end of last year but the fact he was doing some defensive stuff today at training has me confused. Anyway we can't fit Patton, Lewis, Gunston, O'Brian and Nash all in the same forward line. God help us when Ross starts banging at the door to get a senior gig.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I came in here expecting people to be commenting on that front and centre effort from Morrison off Patton's hands today. Those long arms from Patton are going to be a massive asset.

On Redmi Note 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was that Patton? I thought it was big Ned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back