Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Lloyd Meek

Remove this Banner Ad

I've always considered JOM to have underacheived at Hawthorn, relative to what I expected from him (similar to the Chad, so far). He's had some excellent games, but nowhere near enough of them, and not consistently enough. I think we've done well here.
I think Clarko to a degree thought he could replicate the experience we had with Burgoyne where he too came across after suffering a knee injury and would bounce back and continue to play some outstanding football. Just wasn't to be with JOM, he just never seemed to be the same player he was pre-injury.

Just on Wingard since you mentioned him, I feel just like JOM we got him at the wrong time in his career. Would love for him to recapture the form which saw him tear us a new one on ocassion with some arsey play but that's getting harder for him to replicate thesedays with the many soft tissue injuries he's had to date. We've only really seen flashes of it so far.

Lloyd Meek more like Toby Nankervis 2.0

I see Grundy
That's a hell of a call. If it happens it will mean the Jaeger trade worked out VERY well for us!

Unless you're referring to someone who signs a multi-million dollar contract and gets traded out a few years later...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm actually really excited about Meek - I think he could be one of the steals of the trade period. Absolute unit, yet still somehow has speed and agility. Love the way how he wins a tap and immediately ties up the opposing ruck to give his mids space to work. A number of his touches and positioning suggests a savvy football mind.

Love the idea of him throwing his weight around in the middle and making Newcombe's taggers earn it etc. A brave new world for many Hawks fans (who didn't see the likes of Scott).

I'm actually really excited about Meek - I think he could be one of the steals of the trade period. Absolute unit, yet still somehow has speed and agility. Love the way how he wins a tap and immediately ties up the opposing ruck to give his mids space to work. A number of his touches and positioning suggests a savvy football mind.

Love the idea of him throwing his weight around in the middle and making Newcombe's taggers earn it etc. A brave new world for many Hawks fans (who didn't see the likes of Scott).
Any one remembered Des Dickson

Robbie Campbell was probably the closest we've had to Don in the club's modern history - not a great tap ruckman, but a strong, physical presence around the ground. It was a massive shame that his wonky knees forced his premature retirement, as he was fantastic in 2007-08.

No, but I've looked him up! Played 73 games for Hawthorn 1962-66.

From Wikipedia: "Delicate Des", as he was known ironically, was a tough, rough defender and changing ruckman. Recruited from Golden Square in Bendigo, Dickson received a harsh initiation in his first game in the reserves when he was king hit early on. He vowed that would be how he played the game at that level. He was reported three times late that afternoon.

Last edited:
The thing that stands out to me watching Lloyd play is that he is an absolutely massive unit. Absolute specimen of a man 👌

In fact I struggle to think if any other ruckman in the league right now that would be able to compete strength wise with him looking at his build (maybe his ex teammate Darcy).

It was obviously rotten luck for Lloyd that he was stuck behind Darcy at Freo but injuries aside I can't see him playing at least 20 games next year for the Hawks as we will definetly be going with a 2 man ruck setup.

The thing that stands out to me watching Lloyd play is that he is an absolutely massive unit. Absolute specimen of a man 👌

In fact I struggle to think if any other ruckman in the league right now that would be able to compete strength wise with him looking at his build (maybe his ex teammate Darcy).

It was obviously rotten luck for Lloyd that he was stuck behind Darcy at Freo but injuries aside I can't see him playing at least 20 games next year for the Hawks as we will definetly be going with a 2 man ruck setup.
But good luck for us!

Reminds me of this bloke. There is a glorious tap to Bourgogne in this highlights too. Ends up in a Lonnie goal 😉

I’d love for him to be half as good Lade. I don’t think Lade ever had high hit out numbers but his ability to set up his mids especially both Burgoynes was incredible.

Second only to Nic Nat in my time watching for putting the ball to a teammates advantage from a stoppage.

Meek has a lot of good attributes, just whether his ruck work comes on and goes up a level is the question.

No, but I've looked him up! Played 73 games for Hawthorn 1962-66.

From Wikipedia: "Delicate Des", as he was known ironically, was a tough, rough defender and changing ruckman. Recruited from Golden Square in Bendigo, Dickson received a harsh initiation in his first game in the reserves when he was king hit early on. He vowed that would be how he played the game at that level. He was reported three times late that afternoon.
I'd suggest Delecate Des does!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back