Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn pick 13: Will Day 2023 PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Missing a significant amount of time to an injury is never ideal, no matter the player.

Hopefully its nothing really bad i.e Scully :(

Feel sick reading that it could be similar to Scully, it’d be a sporting tragedy if we never saw the best of him. Thankfully he has time on his side

Feel sick reading that it could be similar to Scully, it’d be a sporting tragedy if we never saw the best of him. Thankfully he has time on his side

Let's just pray the severity isn't as bad as we fear, even with time on his side if the injury is savage it's a huge concern, different injury I know, but Jaeger was only 20 when he did the Patella and he's only half the footballer he would have become.

His injury is his injury.

Scully’s injury was Scully’s injury.

People may need to stop themselves before they convince themselves that all injuries are the same across all people, because they’ve happened on the same part of the body.

Don’t know why there is the Scully comparison going on? Will hobbled off the ground, while Scully was in agony and needed a stretcher and drugs immediately. I’ve had an ankle break before, and they can be tricky to operate and slow to heal but after a plate in and out I was back playing soccer 10 weeks later. And I wouldn’t describe my rehab as professional (very tempting for a teenage lad to put a bit of weight on the foot once it stops hurting).

“To determine the severity” are scary words, but it sounds to me like Day is meeting a surgeon to see if operating will be necessary or helpful with recovery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to be one of the most unlucky clubs for injuries as of late. Season enders for our best/most exciting players.

Mitchell/Impey 2019
Sicily 2020
Day (?) 2021

Lost Rough 2016 returned never the same.

Rioli retiring at the age of 28 out of nowhere in 2018, it hasn't been a great 5 years.

We have to be one of the most unlucky clubs for injuries as of late. Season enders for our best/most exciting players.

Mitchell/Impey 2019
Sicily 2020
Day (?) 2021
Have to disagree with you there. Firstly, nobody is saying Day is gone for the season (or even close to that). Secondly Collingwood, GWS, Adelaide and now Freo have recently experienced the kind of ACL and soft tissue plagues that our club has thankfully avoided. We’ve been pretty fortunate.

Thought the update wasn't descriptive on how bad it was.
TBH that is correct it could be terrible, it could be ok, the fear in most Hawthorn supporters is given our recent history of under exaggerating injuries, fearing the worst is the minimum how bad it will turn out. Let's hope this one is the opposite. Maybe we are due for a change of luck.

Have to disagree with you there. Firstly, nobody is saying Day is gone for the season (or even close to that). Secondly Collingwood, GWS, Adelaide and now Freo have recently experienced the kind of ACL and soft tissue plagues that our club has thankfully avoided. We’ve been pretty fortunate.

Sicily and Impey in the last 18 months ?

His injury is his injury.

Scully’s injury was Scully’s injury.

People may need to stop themselves before they convince themselves that all injuries are the same across all people, because they’ve happened on the same part of the body.
Exactly. Scully heard a crack and was in a lot of pain. Easy on the dooms day prognosis with Will’s injury.

Two is two years... I think you’ll find other clubs with similar concerns - even taking Mitchell’s leg into account. Freo’s injury list won’t even fit on one page.
View attachment 1089903

More responding to the fact you've said we've avoided ACL's.

Also that's a long injury list, but I'd probably prefer one like that than names like Sicily, Gunners, Day long term and Wingard.

Exactly. Scully heard a crack and was in a lot of pain. Easy on the dooms day prognosis with Will’s injury.
Just watched it again hoping to at least get a villain out of the incident. Caddy went hard but in no way responsible. In fact the mechanism is hard to spot. Unlike Scully which was nauseating. Pure anecdotal but agree that the two incidents on face value are (hopefully/fingers and toes crossed/ touch wood) miles apart.

So much more frustrating that it was caused by a talentless hack like Caddy... offers nothing, then robs the game of an emerging star. He should be ashamed.

Agree. D Rioli’s late cheap shot while he was down deserves a mention also.
Anyway. Hopefully it’s best news possible when we get final diagnosis. Or at worst he is ready day 1 pre season. Gives time this year to develop CJ, Greaves, DGB and Scrim. Day and Sicily back in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back