Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn, Tyler Brockman!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is performing as well as he possibly could for a pick 46 . He has always come across as a shy kid and at times it shows on field but he does some seriously smart things.

Comparing him to liam Henry who went top 10 and in his second pre season. Before this round henry has been playing the same role as brockman. Brockman has him covered in most areas in one of the worst performing fwd lines in the comp and alot of freo supporters and media see Henry as a huge potential star.

I don't think we need to give any consideration for being a mid-draft pick.
Playing small forward is a tough job, especially for a first year player in a bottom ranked team.
But he is making a contribution each week and does some sublimely clever things in each game while still growing in experience and confidence.

Compare his first season to K.Pickett's. More disposals and goals, but pretty even, despite the disparity in team quality.
Brockman is going to become a star for us.
Screenshot 2021-08-02 at 13.38.58.png

I don't think we need to give any consideration for being a mid-draft pick.
Playing small forward is a tough job, especially for a first year player in a bottom ranked team.
But he is making a contribution each week and does some sublimely clever things in each game while still growing in experience and confidence.

Compare his first season to K.Pickett's. More disposals and goals, but pretty even, despite the disparity in team quality.
Brockman is going to become a star for us.
View attachment 1194623
Shorter quarters in 2020 probably even out the disposal stats. Would love nothing more than Brockman to just explode next year like Pickett did this year.

Shorter quarters in 2020 probably even out the disposal stats. Would love nothing more than Brockman to just explode next year like Pickett did this year.

Don't think it makes a difference for a younger player honestly, not like they were playing 90% game time to make up for the disparity in minutes.

Don't think it makes a difference for a younger player honestly, not like they were playing 90% game time to make up for the disparity in minutes.
Longer quarters mean more time to rest. Plus senior players can’t play as much time. Probably adds up to about 10 minutes more Brockman would play vs Kosi. Given the disposal totals are so close anyway, it doesn’t really matter.

I'm still not quite seeing it with Brockman. I see flashes of great stuff, but not stuff of high enough caliber or often enough for me to be completely convinced. I hope I'll be proven wrong next season .

Also, I think the comparisons with Mark Williams are a reach. Willo's shtick was lead, mark, kick straight. Over and over again. Came very close to a Coleman for his work. Tyler I see as something completely different. Hopefully a silky skilled, intense tackler. Let's see how it plays out.

I'm still not quite seeing it with Brockman. I see flashes of great stuff, but not stuff of high enough caliber or often enough for me to be completely convinced. I hope I'll be proven wrong next season .

Also, I think the comparisons with Mark Williams are a reach. Willo's shtick was lead, mark, kick straight. Over and over again. Came very close to a Coleman for his work. Tyler I see as something completely different. Hopefully a silky skilled, intense tackler. Let's see how it plays out.
Kid is still 18 years old and is getting AFL games. Got sent back to VFL to work on a few things and has came back a better player.

I actually thought he was really selfish on the weekend. Two moments stood out for me.

One when he just had to give the hands or a chip kick to Downie who could have run inside 50 on his left and had a crack. Instead Brockman held on and in the end tried a torpedo that landed between two Dogs defenders.

The other was a quick snap from the boundary that almost went out on the full.

I liked his quick hands to Oli but.

His talent is undeniable, but on the weekend I finally understood why he has been in and out of the side as much as he has. He is still learning the standards of an AFL footballer and for all his talent, 10 touches at 40% disposal efficiency is well below standard. It will come.

Last edited:
Kid is still 18 years old and is getting AFL games. Got sent back to VFL to work on a few things and has came back a better player.

I agree. He’s done some good things. Just don’t quite get the fanfare of some of the posts in here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that he did not have Bruest and Moore to share the load on Saturday but let’s not sugar coat it, Brockman was very below average.

If TOB, Ceglar or Dan Howe put in that putrid of a performance, some on here would want them frog marched out of the country.

The kid has talent for sure but I hope to god Sammy tells him to pull his finger out and put in a 100% Effort next year, he just floats around at the moment content he is in the team.

Does he have a bit of an X factor, no doubt he does.

But Cyril had more X factor in his little finger but he also backed it up with incredible defensive pressure and work rate when he did not have the ball, that’s what Sammy has to drum into the kid.

I know that we did not have Bruest and Moore to share the load on Saturday but let’s not sugar coat it, Brockman was very below average.

If TOB, Ceglar or Dan Howe put in that putrid of a performance, some on here would want them frog marched out of the country.

The kid has talent for sure but I hope to god Sammy tells him to pull his finger out and put in a 100% Effort next year, he just floats around at the moment content he is in the team.

Does he have a bit of an X factor, maybe he does.

But Cyril had more X factor in his little finger but he also backed it up with incredible defensive pressure and work rate when he did not have the ball.

I think the main reason behind Brockman getting a pass and not Ceglar, TOB or Howe is the 12, 9 and 8 year respective difference in age.

Brocky needs a couple of big pre seasons. He will increase in confidence and fitness. He lacks both atm but the exposure to AFL will give him some goals to work with in the off season. I think he'll come good.

Really excited by what he's shown this year already. I think like most people early on in the year I thought he showed a lot, then went through a period of looking quite timid on field and shying away from contests.
When he came back in at the end of the season he looked a lot more composed and like he belonged at the grade! Also looks to have put on a fair bit of size.

Final game of the year for him was a goodn' not sure if it's enough for a rising star but would be unlucky not to receive one all things considered.

I'm going to be a bit curmedgeon-like here...

I like what he does when he has the ball, but he has to get a bit harder, and a bit more desperate when he doesn't.

A few times in the last few weeks, it looked like he was stepping up pressure wise, but I wasn't massively impressed today.

I know he took his chances, for three goals, so it's an odd time to criticise him...but he could be an absolute jet if he worked on a couple of things.

I'm going to be a bit curmedgeon-like here...

I like what he does when he has the ball, but he has to get a bit harder, and a bit more desperate when he doesn't.

A few times in the last few weeks, it looked like he was stepping up pressure wise, but I wasn't massively impressed today.

I know he took his chances, for three goals, so it's an odd time to criticise him...but he could be an absolute jet if he worked on a couple of things.

Kicked three goals for us but it doesn't mean much when the opposition can waltz it out of defence and score the other way. Few such occasions today.

Had me spewing when a geriatric Dylan Grimes waltzed past him.

Really excited by what he's shown this year already. I think like most people early on in the year I thought he showed a lot, then went through a period of looking quite timid on field and shying away from contests.
When he came back in at the end of the season he looked a lot more composed and like he belonged at the grade! Also looks to have put on a fair bit of size.

Final game of the year for him was a goodn' not sure if it's enough for a rising star but would be unlucky not to receive one all things considered.
Very exciting prospect for an 18 year old.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back