Toast Welcome to the Temple of Bontempelli, please take off your shoes and pay your respects

Remove this Banner Ad

At the pub last night chatting to a Saints and Demons supporter.

Both adamant that Bont is over rated. Saints supporter steadfast that Jack Steven was better and the Melbourne supporter that Oliver was better (pointed out to the Saints fan that Steven is 27 and Bont 22).

Herald Sun have done a Facebook post asking who is better out of him and Daniher (dumb comparison). So many comments about him being over rated.

Can’t see why opposition supporters have this opinion, have others noticed this?

I can see this discussion...

"yeah, nah, mate, Steven averages more disposals per game than Bontempelli, and the only reason Bont got more goals was they played him forward."

I'd take Bont cos he sat Hodgy on his arse in the semi and broke GWS's heart in the Prelim. One of the major reasons we have new silver wear in our cupboard that's not covered in dust with '54 on the side. If Kelly ever proves an ability to emulate the clutch ability Bont showed in 2016 I'll start to consider Kelly as a potential equal talent to Marcus. Still say once Kelly actually wants some silverwear he would be well considered to come play with his good mate in the tri-colours...
Bont went at 100% by foot in the GF. It's absolutely absurd as he doesn't kick short kicks sideways, he kicks long and makes the play happen.

I’d like to think as we go someone like Jack Macrae or Toby McLean who both strike me as fairly capable mature people who wouldn’t get a big head from exposure could share the load a bit more in that regard.
Macrae is scarily underrated - had a 2nd B&F placing at age 20, and is the only teenager in the history of the game to manage a 40 disposal game (as a 19 year old against the Suns he managed 43 touches and 2 goals shortly after being dropped then making his way back in the side).

I knoe i'm a crows fan. But the bulldogs are my second team and The Bont is my favourite player in the AFL by a landslide. I prefered his man bun tbh

Get that second team BS out of Footy.
That's American shyt.
Not having a go at you mate i just can't stand our youth adopting American culture garbage.

It's not until you see the Bont live, that you see how influential he is, I don't care they don't rate him, I hope their coach doesn't rate him either, but considering he has been captain of the 22 and under team twice, I doubt they would.

All fans rate him and other good players, it's called shyt stirring and footy fans love it.
I wouldn't take anyone knocking players that are obviously among the top handful of current stars or rising stars seriously,
they are just looking for reactions, obviously...

Now, as to why i have presented myself before you good people of the West...
Is Bontempelli going to be allowed to roam freely like the wild young Bronco he is?
Or, are you guys going to plant him up forward for chunks of games again in order for him
to add another ''string to his bow'' (Blarghhhh) and develop his craft as a marking goal kicker dude?

All fans rate him and other good players, it's called shyt stirring and footy fans love it.
I wouldn't take anyone knocking players that are obviously among the top handful of current stars or rising stars seriously,
they are just looking for reactions, obviously...

Now, as to why i have presented myself before you good people of the West...
Is Bontempelli going to be allowed to roam freely like the wild young Bronco he is?
Or, are you guys going to plant him up forward for chunks of games again in order for him
to add another ''string to his bow'' (Blarghhhh) and develop his craft as a marking goal kicker dude?
My guess would be the answer depends on how the rest of the team are performing, rather than having a focus on diversifying El Bont's skillset. If Red, Boyd and Schache project as kicking 40-50 goals each, Bont likely roams where he wants; if it's more like 40-50 goals between the three of them, we'll probably chain Bont to the F50 as our season flatlines.

My guess would be the answer depends on how the rest of the team are performing, rather than having a focus on diversifying El Bont's skillset. If Red, Boyd and Schache project as kicking 40-50 goals each, Bont likely roams where he wants; if it's more like 40-50 goals between the three of them, we'll probably chain Bont to the F50 as our season flatlines.

That's what i was thinking, makes sense, cheers.

At the pub last night chatting to a Saints and Demons supporter.

Both adamant that Bont is over rated. Saints supporter steadfast that Jack Steven was better and the Melbourne supporter that Oliver was better (pointed out to the Saints fan that Steven is 27 and Bont 22).

Herald Sun have done a Facebook post asking who is better out of him and Daniher (dumb comparison). So many comments about him being over rated.

Can’t see why opposition supporters have this opinion, have others noticed this?

Bont and Daniher are the best two U24 year olds in the competition IMHO, although I might be biased as I'm obviously a dogs fan and went to school with Joe. Kelly, Oliver and Cripps next in line (in that order) for me.

Wouldn't swap Bont for anyone, although I could see why some would prefer Daniher. Oliver is a ******* jet, probably my favourite young player outside the dogs to watch with Daniher (Cripps also close). I can see him being a Lenny Hayes / Sam Mitchell type, absolute gun and club champion, but don't think his going to go down as an Ablett or Judd type aka legend of the game, where The Bont has the scope to be the best in the competition in a few years (*, I'd say his the 4th best midfielder right now behind Martin, Danger and Fyfe, although happy to acknowledge others think Sloane, Pendles, Selwood and JPK are possibly still ahead).

Funny argument Steven, he is kind of like Griffen for me, really great player who is a top 20 midfielder in the competition, perhaps even pushing top 10 when in form. However, like you said his 27 and will never be a superstar.

Pretty exciting times regardless with players like Bontempelli, Daniher, Kelly, Oliver, Cripps, Merrett, Heeney, Petracca, Wines etc all coming along and still young. If I could take 3, I'd go Bontempelli, Daniher and Oliver.

Last edited:
Daniher is an absolute beast and will win multiple Coleman medals :thumbsu:

Hope so, I went to school with about 6 different players (quit school in year 11 due to personal circumstances, then went back to TAFE a few years later to finish year 12 and then studied Law and Education at Uni) and out of the 6 players I went to school with, Cotchin and Daniher were easily the nicest/best "people". Which is funny because they both turned out to be the best of the 6 by a long way. One player who I won't name was probably as gifted as them but squandered it, he even played for us ;) in sport he used to line up all of the kids who were s**t at sport (including me haha) and purposely drive into us, * I hated that class lol. Obviously kids are kids and people change etc., but both Cotch and Daniher are 10/10 people. Didn't even realise Joe was part of the Daniher family until I got into a convo about why he left school to finish year 12 at an adult tafe where he told me to "focus on his footy because he was going to be drafted by Essendon as f/s and there are way less contact hours at TAFE than school". I sat next to him in English for about 6 months before he told me that lol, and most of our talk was about footy (although our classes were only 2 hours a week, so didn't talk to him that much other than about footy/school work). Very humble dude, which you wouldn't expect with his attitude on the field.

Last edited:
I've been playing footy with my 2 year old all arvo up and down the hallway. I'm Libba and he's the Bont.

I thought I'd show him this. Not sure if he gets it but he's getting there

"which one is The Bont?" "That one" "Oh and there's the players!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He
Get that second team BS out of Footy.
That's American shyt.
Not having a go at you mate i just can't stand our youth adopting American culture garbage.

Hey mate, your confusing me. How is claiming a second team an American thing? Maybe I missed something but I lived in the States from 1990-2015 and in two and a half decades of following sport there never heard of anyone having a “second team.” Within 12 months of moving to Australia I was very familiar with the term. Someone please correct me but the idea of having a scrappy unloved second team seems entirely Aussie to me.

Would love to see an 'every involvement' video of his GF. Where ios SoB when u need him?
Hope he is OK after the AwFL destroyed his youtube collection

Celebration in order 25 posts from now Stefoid!

Wanted to wait a bit til posting this as I love him and have been hoping he would turn it around, but he has been well below his best. Don’t think he has had one ‘Bont like’ game yet.

A few flashes of brilliance no doubt.

he is a gun but he hasn’t been his usual self.

Hope he can recapture his form soon.

Wanted to wait a bit til posting this as I love him and have been hoping he would turn it around, but he has been well below his best. Don’t think he has had one ‘Bont like’ game yet.

To be fair he's been stuck fwd a bit. Imagine being a fwd in our team of butchers.

We need to stop mucking around with putting him in the forward line and keep him as a midfielder. I get that in a team lacking for forwards it's tempting to throw Bont up there...But the team is full of butchers, he's never going to get a proper go of it as a forward. He needs to go back to where he belongs on a full time basis, let him be the one delivering the ball to other forwards. Him being up forward should be as a rest thing only, not as an actual strategic move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back