News Welcome Tyson Stengle

Remove this Banner Ad

David the Cat

Dec 7, 2009
Thailand
AFL Club
Geelong
The point is - if it isn't glaringly obvious - Betts never played for Geelong, and Stengle hasn't yet. If it was Adelaide different story, but it's not.

Should we celebrate other clubs' milestones too? That would make people feel better right?

Like I said...Some people have the capacity to see the value of sentiment in an elite team sport, and others don't.

Pure_Ownage

Premium Platinum
Nov 26, 2008
PODS fan club office
AFL Club
Geelong
Stuff all this jumper numbers nonsense.

The real issue with Stengle is that, given his past problems, he's a high risk investment for a potentially medium to high return.

I mean hes only a high risk investment if you consider the PR impacts if he has more off field issues. In terms of purely the football side he cosr us no draft picks and probably is on low wages so its a low cost investment for potentially much better return.

Spearman

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Don't know anything about the guy, but if he is giving everything he has, like TK did to get to the bigs, then good on him and good for us. I'll take that sort of effort anytime. Sometimes that attitude is catching and a lesson to some of the youngsters.
AND if he can consciously or subconsciously squeeze out a fraction of a percent in performance because he likes the number he has, then :thumbsupv1:

FredLeDeux

Hall of Famer
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Low risk. On a low salary and did not cost a draft pick. Expectations are low and if he fails the general public won't care as the narrative will be we gave a troubled indigenous player a chance. Medium reward, could become a top 15-20 player on our list.
Low cost, high risk

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
And of course Gazza Junior wearing 29 and then 4 instead of his old man's 5. I wouldn't understate the value of 'sport superstition' and other kinds of ritual in player preparation though - even if there's no scientific basis in reality for it a player wearing unwashed 'lucky jocks' for three months straight might be just enough of a powerful psychological boost for that player to believe that no other player can touch him while wearing them.
No other player will want to touch him. It's scientific.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think he might find the goals, but I just hope he doesn't let his opponent off the leash. That's my only concern with this player. If his defensive work is great, then I think he will be handy player.

jim boy

Umpires Association Head
Jun 4, 2002
Location!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
pivotonians
If Tom Stewart had been drafted at the same age as Stengle, he too would have been considered a dangerous pick later on. As it is some people take longer to mature and it looks like Stengle is one. Not to say he can be as good as Stewart only that Stengle shouldn't be judged on the opportunity he threw away. He has worked hard to get back, and that is what I would judge him on

Poetic Justice

upon us all a little rain must fall
Jun 21, 2008
Nunya
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
If Tom Stewart had been drafted at the same age as Stengle, he too would have been considered a dangerous pick later on. As it is some people take longer to mature and it looks like Stengle is one. Not to say he can be as good as Stewart only that Stengle shouldn't be judged on the opportunity he threw away. He has worked hard to get back, and that is what I would judge him on

You're so wrong!

If you're not Selwood or Walsh in year 1 you're no good!

Scottland2007

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
Definitely have room for Stengle, Close and Miers in our forward line. Perfect compliment to our talls Hawkins and Cameron, then leaving the last forward spot to a rotating player (eg. Esava, Danger). We are the masters of the mature aged recruit, every other AFL club knows this; it represents top value with minimal risk.
Do you see room in the side for Rohan or is that Esava / Dangers spot now?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad