• Sydney

Votes: 44 3.3%
  • West Coast

Votes: 64 4.8%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 5 0.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In order of who I would want from most to least (assuming no radical list changes):

1. Richmond - reigning premiers, probably have three or four premierships left in this current list. Have prepared for a sustained assault at the flag. Have some serious youth coming through as well (arguably the best in the league)
2. Bulldogs - great young team who showed plenty last season and have a group of players who have already achieved the ultimate success. A proven coach too.
3. GWS - ridiculously talented. Almost as talented as Richmond’s list, but probably don’t quite have the depth or top end that Richmond do. Nevertheless, overtook Collingwood and West Coast this season. Should look to build on runners up with Cogs and Ward to come back.
4. Brisbane - great young list who need to accept they weren’t good enough this season and stop looking for excuses. The umpires didn’t cost you, you’re just a young developing side who were outclassed by the best.
5. Fremantle - some seriously impressive youth coming through. They have a brand of football that will win games. Need to fill a few holes but are on the right path.
6. Gold Coast - top four youth in the league. Rankine, Lukosius, B. King, Flanders, Rowell and Anderson is a serious draft haul over two years.
7. Port Adelaide - loved their 2018 draft. Definitely capitalised on the super draft. Probably a few years off contending but the foundation is there.
8. St Kilda - going the top up route which is a proven way to achieve success (see: Richmond) but do they have the cattle that the Tigers do? Time will tell.
9. Geelong - Always there abouts but fading slowly.
10. Essendon - I actually think their list is relatively promising. Daniher needs to be fit and firing for them to be any chance though.
11. Adelaide - There’s light at the end of the tunnel, although the tunnel is quite far away. They’re in rebuild mode now, but have some gems.
12. Sydney - well off it but have some stars coming through. One to keep an eye on.
13. Collingwood - geez. Now or never for the Pies. I’m gonna lean towards the latter. Now completely tied down with Grundy. Will have to shed some weight if they are to move forward. Hopefully Eddie’s accountants get creative.
14. Carlton - three decent kids, but still carried by their older brigade.
15. North Melbourne - Average list, average youth. Very underwhelming at the moment. Need to invest heavily into the draft so they can sell something to potential recruits.
16. Melbourne - yikes. I look at their list and think “how have they butchered another rebuild?” Turns out they have. Lots of injury prone players. A very one paced, one dimensional midfield who wouldn’t know accountable footy if it slapped them in the face. The least imposing forward line I’ve seen in some time. Where are the goals gonna come from??
17. West Coast - have paid through their noses for Kelly and I think it’s going to bite them on the bum. The Dayne Beams trade of 2019. Still a fair way off Richmond and have sold the farm. Going to crash hard now that their senior players are nearing the end. Do or die season. Actually, just a die season.
18. Hawthorn - have been prolonging the rebuild for some time. Worpel looks a star in the making but man, are they in for some barren years.

In order of who I would want from most to least (assuming no radical list changes):

1. Richmond - reigning premiers, probably have three or four premierships left in this current list. Have prepared for a sustained assault at the flag. Have some serious youth coming through as well (arguably the best in the league)
2. Bulldogs - great young team who showed plenty last season and have a group of players who have already achieved the ultimate success. A proven coach too.
3. GWS - ridiculously talented. Almost as talented as Richmond’s list, but probably don’t quite have the depth or top end that Richmond do. Nevertheless, overtook Collingwood and West Coast this season. Should look to build on runners up with Cogs and Ward to come back.
4. Brisbane - great young list who need to accept they weren’t good enough this season and stop looking for excuses. The umpires didn’t cost you, you’re just a young developing side who were outclassed by the best.
5. Fremantle - some seriously impressive youth coming through. They have a brand of football that will win games. Need to fill a few holes but are on the right path.
6. Gold Coast - top four youth in the league. Rankine, Lukosius, B. King, Flanders, Rowell and Anderson is a serious draft haul over two years.
7. Port Adelaide - loved their 2018 draft. Definitely capitalised on the super draft. Probably a few years off contending but the foundation is there.
8. St Kilda - going the top up route which is a proven way to achieve success (see: Richmond) but do they have the cattle that the Tigers do? Time will tell.
9. Geelong - Always there abouts but fading slowly.
10. Essendon - I actually think their list is relatively promising. Daniher needs to be fit and firing for them to be any chance though.
11. Adelaide - There’s light at the end of the tunnel, although the tunnel is quite far away. They’re in rebuild mode now, but have some gems.
12. Sydney - well off it but have some stars coming through. One to keep an eye on.
13. Collingwood - geez. Now or never for the Pies. I’m gonna lean towards the latter. Now completely tied down with Grundy. Will have to shed some weight if they are to move forward. Hopefully Eddie’s accountants get creative.
14. Carlton - three decent kids, but still carried by their older brigade.
15. North Melbourne - Average list, average youth. Very underwhelming at the moment. Need to invest heavily into the draft so they can sell something to potential recruits.
16. Melbourne - yikes. I look at their list and think “how have they butchered another rebuild?” Turns out they have. Lots of injury prone players. A very one paced, one dimensional midfield who wouldn’t know accountable footy if it slapped them in the face. The least imposing forward line I’ve seen in some time. Where are the goals gonna come from??
17. West Coast - have paid through their noses for Kelly and I think it’s going to bite them on the bum. The Dayne Beams trade of 2019. Still a fair way off Richmond and have sold the farm. Going to crash hard now that their senior players are nearing the end. Do or die season. Actually, just a die season.
18. Hawthorn - have been prolonging the rebuild for some time. Worpel looks a star in the making but man, are they in for some barren years.

Can’t argue with much of this at all, obviously happy with the 5 good kids (Zurhaar, Simpkin, Larkey, Thomas and LDU) coming through but we have more question marks than any team.

Our best is pretty good and our worst is horrendous and as we are not particularly young I can see why you would rate us that low.

I would still take our list over Freo and St.Kilda’s any day.

Adelaide: Not any time soon
Brisbane: Not this year, but could be thereabouts real soon
Carlton: Not really
Collingwood: Not about to break with modern tradition again in a hurry, surely?
Essendon: Not with the current list
Fremantle: Not out of the question entirely now, at some future stage
Geelong: Not with Scott at the helm?
Gold Coast: Not going to be rubbish forever, so possibly down the track
GWS: Not unlikely at all
Hawthorn: Not without immersing in the draft first
Melbourne: Not on your Nellie Melba
North Melbourne: Not in a hurry
Port Adelaide: Not until their youth consolidate, then possibly, if they can add to it in the meantime
Richmond: Not just one I hope
St Kilda: Not known for it
Sydney: Not with Buddy?
West Coast: Not as easily as some think, but on the cards
Western Bulldogs: Not quite yet, maybe later?

You could do a negative take like this on most teams: Ceglar is 29, Mcevoy is 30, Frawley 31, Patton continues to get injured, Hartley has failed to be be a regular player for two teams, etc.
Draper continues to be struck down with injury? I thought he was recovering well from his ACL?
Hooker will be a big loss, agreed. Hurley and Ambrose could be around long enough for us to find a KPD or two. Zerk-Thatcher has been doing very well in the VFL and would of played more games if our defense wasn't settled. Even if Francis/Zerk-Thatcher don't work out, KPDs are a lot easier to get. I am not at all worried about our key defender stocks, or rucks (Bellchambers/Phillips are ordinary, but serviceable enough for now, and Draper is developing nicely.) I admit our KPF stocks are a concern though.

Even if we don't get close in the next couple of years, we have enough talent in the 20-27 age bracket that a full rebuild would not be needed even then. We only have eight players turning 28+ this year, and out of those I would say only Hooker, Hurley and Heppell are important.
Rough Depth Charts for both teams

-Rucks: Macca, Ceglar, Reeves (Arguably the single biggest hole on our list is our long-term ruck solution)
-KPD: Frawley, Frost, Hartley, Koschitzke (Frawley been a good player for us for a long time, solid depth options too)
-KPF: Patton, Lewis, O'Brien, Jeka (Patton if fit is a good KPF, Lewis/O'Brien started to prove themselves last year, Jeka is a draft prospect, Overall pretty decent depth/stocks)

compared to
Rucks: Bellchamber, Phillips, Draper
KPD: Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Zerk-Thatcher (I would've though Francis is a 3rd tall/intercept kind of player)
KPF: Daniher, Mckernan, Laverde/stringer?? (Who even is the 3rd key forward at essendon? Laverde?)

Our mature rucks are superior, however at least the dons seem to have a long-term ruck solution with Draper.

Your top 3 Key position defenders are 28+, which doesn't exactly look great for the long-term.

You can say Patton is injury-prone, but at least he's on the park right now unlike Daniher. Even with Daniher your KPF depth is a bit weak, but take him away and that is a very flimsy load of key forwards.

Overall I just think it looks grim in the medium-long term for the Dons with all of these worries.

Rough Depth Charts for both teams

-Rucks: Macca, Ceglar, Reeves (Arguably the single biggest hole on our list is our long-term ruck solution)
-KPD: Frawley, Frost, Hartley, Koschitzke (Frawley been a good player for us for a long time, solid depth options too)
-KPF: Patton, Lewis, O'Brien, Jeka (Patton if fit is a good KPF, Lewis/O'Brien started to prove themselves last year, Jeka is a draft prospect, Overall pretty decent depth/stocks)

compared to
Rucks: Bellchamber, Phillips, Draper
KPD: Hooker, Hurley, Ambrose, Zerk-Thatcher (I would've though Francis is a 3rd tall/intercept kind of player)
KPF: Daniher, Mckernan, Laverde/stringer?? (Who even is the 3rd key forward at essendon? Laverde?)

Our mature rucks are superior, however at least the dons seem to have a long-term ruck solution with Draper.

Your top 3 Key position defenders are 28+, which doesn't exactly look great for the long-term.

You can say Patton is injury-prone, but at least he's on the park right now unlike Daniher. Even with Daniher your KPF depth is a bit weak, but take him away and that is a very flimsy load of key forwards.

Overall I just think it looks grim in the medium-long term for the Dons with all of these worries.

C'mon this a hilariously stilted view. Glosses over Hawhtorn's ruck issues, claims 7 year player O'Brien is starting to put it together, lists a bloke Essendon scrap heap as good depth, claims Patton as a good KPF and names Hawthorn draftees but not Essendon's.

What the actual f***?

Nothing there is true, you clearly haven't watched Petracca because last year he was far from a dud.

Also if you don't think Oliver is a star then you clearly have no f***ing idea which was actually obvious reading your post.
Woah! Cool your jets Dezmond. There is no need to swear like a spoilt little brat. I understand my appraisal of your list has cut you, but there is no point trying to kid yourself that the Dees are any chance of winning more than 7-8 games next year. I'd be happy to wager on that.

Once again I'll repeat, their forward line is putrid. Who the hell is going to kick all the goals? The back line is no better. Lever is an overrated 1 season wonder and May just couldn't give a s**t anymore it seems. Oliver is a handballing stat padder who flops every chance he can get. Brayshaw a vanilla plodder. Petracca is as slow as a snail and just as thick.

Gawn, and very occasionally Tom McDonald, are the only 2 on the list who would get a game for the tiges (VFL team only obviously)

As much as it pains me to state the obvious (due to them being my 2nd team) but yes. Melbourne is by far the worst list in the comp and I believe Goodwin and his assistants (Troy Chaplin lol) are also the worst coaching group. What sort of culture must they have for the players to decide they couldn't be stuffed going on a pre-season camp, so Goodwin just accepts it. Shocking leadership from their coaches down. A real disappointment after rebuild after rebuild.

Bay 13 awaits

What the heck? So because you are offended by my truthful appraisal of your team you sprout the "Go to bay 13" crap. Goodness me, grow up.

Gawn, and very occasionally Tom McDonald, are the only 2 on the list who would get a game for the tiges (VFL team only obviously)

Can you please stop embarrassing Richmond supporters with this type of hyperbole?

As a fellow Richmond supporter I could easily see all of Gawn, Lever, Petracca, Oliver & Viney would easily walk into Richmond's AFL starting 22. There's plenty of talent on Melbourne list if coached correctly.

As much as it pains me to state the obvious (due to them being my 2nd team) but yes. Melbourne is by far the worst list in the comp and I believe Goodwin and his assistants (Troy Chaplin lol) are also the worst coaching group. What sort of culture must they have for the players to decide they couldn't be stuffed going on a pre-season camp, so Goodwin just accepts it. Shocking leadership from their coaches down. A real disappointment after rebuild after rebuild.

It's not Melbourne's list that's weak; it's the current coaching team that let them down in 2019. It was spoken about late in the 2018 (when Melbourne made finals) that there was a few times at 3/4 time that the senior players (Jordan Lewis & Nathan Jones) pulled the players aside to addressed the boys separately from the coaches. The players know how to play; but they are being 'over coached' IMO. Need to let the Melbourne players do what they do best.

Brayshaw & Viney should be Melbourne's No.1 Centre square combo for 80-90% of the match; Melbourne need to stop focusing on getting Clayton Oliver into clearances and put him alongside Petracca in the forward line. Put Jayden Hunt in one position and leave him there (late in the season he played both forward & back every week). Let the players play 'their' natural game and Melbourne will naturally improve again.

Woah! Cool your jets Dezmond. There is no need to swear like a spoilt little brat. I understand my appraisal of your list has cut you, but there is no point trying to kid yourself that the Dees are any chance of winning more than 7-8 games next year. I'd be happy to wager on that.

Once again I'll repeat, their forward line is putrid. Who the hell is going to kick all the goals? The back line is no better. Lever is an overrated 1 season wonder and May just couldn't give a s**t anymore it seems. Oliver is a handballing stat padder who flops every chance he can get. Brayshaw a vanilla plodder. Petracca is as slow as a snail and just as thick.

What the heck? So because you are offended by my truthful appraisal of your team you sprout the "Go to bay 13" crap. Goodness me, grow up.

Your appraisal of Melbourne is far from truthful, and does reek of bay 13 trolling tbh.
What is the foundation of Goodwin and his coaching staff being the worst in the league, for instance? The Dees were hammered with a lengthy injury list last season.

And spare us the Demons are your second team nonsense, that is just a gutless disclaimer for you to sink the boots in.

Can you please stop embarrassing Richmond supporters with this type of hyperbole?

As a fellow Richmond supporter I could easily see all of Gawn, Lever, Petracca, Oliver & Viney would easily walk into Richmond's AFL starting 22. There's plenty of talent on Melbourne list if coached correctly.

It's not Melbourne's list that's weak; it's the current coaching team that let them down in 2019. It was spoken about late in the 2018 (when Melbourne made finals) that there was a few times at 3/4 time that the senior players (Jordan Lewis & Nathan Jones) pulled the players aside to addressed the boys separately from the coaches. The players know how to play; but they are being 'over coached' IMO. Need to let the Melbourne players do what they do best.

Brayshaw & Viney should be Melbourne's No.1 Centre square combo for 80-90% of the match; Melbourne need to stop focusing on getting Clayton Oliver into clearances and put him alongside Petracca in the forward line. Put Jayden Hunt in one position and leave him there (late in the season he played both forward & back every week). Let the players play 'their' natural game and Melbourne will naturally improve again.

Terrific and refreshing post, but you forgot to mention Neville Jetta, who is an AA calibre player, when fit and firing.

You're absolutely delusional if you think Oliver, Viney and Lever wouldn't get games for the Tigers. Melbourne are far from having the worst list in the game. This squad was meant to push for the top 2 last year. You're the worst kind of fan. You have recent success and suddenly everyone else is s**t in comparison. Get your ego out of the game and come back down to Earth. I see your a new member on this board, and by the look, you're not going to last long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're absolutely delusional if you think Oliver, Viney and Lever wouldn't get games for the Tigers. Melbourne are far from having the worst list in the game. This squad was meant to push for the top 2 last year. You're the worst kind of fan. You have recent success and suddenly everyone else is s**t in comparison. Get your ego out of the game and come back down to Earth. I see your a new member on this board, and by the look, you're not going to last long.

To be fair-- have you seen some of the 2018/2019 West Coast Eagle sign ups? :straining:

(and yes-- I did also criticise Niggles for his response)

Success isn't a new phenomenon to us.

Then what's the excuse for so many new arrogant West Coast supporters on BigFooty in the past 2 years?

That the internet has only just reached Perth?

Surprised Adelaide is least favored. Our KPPs should be sorted for the next 10 years, and we have some okay midfielders under 25 (Crouches, Jones, Milera, lot more to be desired here) plus a young ROB who went even in the hitouts to Gawn. Mid to below average yeah but not last.

North's best players (Brown, Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins, Ziebell) are all 27-31, lots of their mid 20s players are C graders, and they have questionable talent.

Melbourne have completely butchered their KPPs, all injury prone and prone to confidence slumps. None of their midfielders can kick either.

C'mon this a hilariously stilted view. Glosses over Hawhtorn's ruck issues, claims 7 year player O'Brien is starting to put it together, lists a bloke Essendon scrap heap as good depth, claims Patton as a good KPF and names Hawthorn draftees but not Essendon's.
I addressed Hawthorn's long term ruck problem, clearly you can't read.

12 goals in his last 5 games after being swung forward, not bad returns from O'Brien.

You would say Hartley is not good depth? You don't need a 200 game AA playing in the VFL to have good depth, just solid enough players who can hopefully get the job done. Patton has been a good key position forward in the past, kicked 45 goals in 2017 (Cale Hooker had 41 and you'd probably say he was a good forward).

If it was truthful then you wouldn’t have made such a dick of yourself on BF with childish assessments made out of watching 1 minute of Melbourne games. So again I say: Bay 13 awaits.

Trav 20 sort this champ out please.

I think that coaching is a problem. Goody seems to want to re-invent the wheel to often and it leaves the players a bit lost when calm heads are needed. We look better when we focus on the basics well, but throw away games when he is playing forwards as backs, or inside mids on the wing, or strange set ups that fool coaches like Clarko for about 3 minutes and then he spends the rest of the game tearing us apart... by beating us with basics.

Its inexperience. Save that magic trick for when you are 4 goals down in the last of a big game, and you have tried everything else, but otherwise just keep the team on message. We have a list that can play, but tinkering with the game plan every couple of weeks means we will never have a list that is well drilled and plays to its potential.

I already knew that Melbourne, West Coast and Hawthorn would make up your bottom 3 without even having to look at the content of your post.

Show me on the doll where they touched you.

Yawn.

Surprised Adelaide is least favored. Our KPPs should be sorted for the next 10 years, and we have some okay midfielders under 25 (Crouches, Jones, Milera, lot more to be desired here) plus a young ROB who went even in the hitouts to Gawn. Mid to below average yeah but not last.

North's best players (Brown, Goldstein, Cunnington, Higgins, Ziebell) are all 27-31, lots of their mid 20s players are C graders, and they have questionable talent.

Melbourne have completely butchered their KPPs, all injury prone and prone to confidence slumps. None of their midfielders can kick either.
Our 21 and unders are right up there though
Tarryn Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, LDU, Simpkin, Scott, Taylor, Bonar. Took 3 second rounders this year(Comben, Mahony, Perez), have another 2 first rounders at years end.

agree our mid 20s players are average albeit Brown in that group will be important But it’s our young group that excites me

Our 21 and unders are right up there though
Tarryn Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, LDU, Simpkin, Scott, Taylor, Bonar. Took 3 second rounders this year(Comben, Mahony, Perez), have another 2 first rounders at years end.

agree our mid 20s players are average But it’s our young group that excites me

Although there are obvious holes in the list I personally think North isn't as bad as some make them out to be. There is promising talent there, obviously not all can click but players like Zurhaar, LDU and Larkey are the right direction.

You could do a negative take like this on most teams: Ceglar is 29, Mcevoy is 30, Frawley 31, Patton continues to get injured, Hartley has failed to be be a regular player for two teams, etc.
Draper continues to be struck down with injury? I thought he was recovering well from his ACL?
Hooker will be a big loss, agreed. Hurley and Ambrose could be around long enough for us to find a KPD or two. Zerk-Thatcher has been doing very well in the VFL and would of played more games if our defense wasn't settled. Even if Francis/Zerk-Thatcher don't work out, KPDs are a lot easier to get. I am not at all worried about our key defender stocks, or rucks (Bellchambers/Phillips are ordinary, but serviceable enough for now, and Draper is developing nicely.) I admit our KPF stocks are a concern though.

Even if we don't get close in the next couple of years, we have enough talent in the 20-27 age bracket that a full rebuild would not be needed even then. We only have eight players turning 28+ this year, and out of those I would say only Hooker, Hurley and Heppell are important.

Bombres just not enough A graders let alone A plus. Hooker/Hurley combination won't be there to see a flag and Hooker plays for himself and the coaching set up is interesting to say the least. key players already injured...long year ahead

Back